The Academics Thread

Pariah

Don't know where that's from.  It's not in either the TeXBook from Kurtz or the LaTeX book from Lamport (editions from the 1980s that I have in hard copy eight feet from my seat), though it sure looks like it's out of a TeX reference book topic index.

Review of iterated writing assignment first draft
Draft file name, as received by the reviewer: xxxxxxxx.txt
Author of draft: xxxxxxxx
Reviewer: {Dr. Cancer}  (the instructor)

Serious trouble here.  You miss almost all of the important physical circumstances and processes.  Your opening three sentences are so vague, and the third in particular so wrong, that I am in doubt about whether you read any of the source material.  

You will be best off discarding this draft and starting again from scratch. 

[Further stuff omitted.]

I need to be like the teacher in Pink Floyd's The Wall who just calls out a taunting, "Wro-ong!  Do it again!" repeatedly.  It's the same content as what I'm saying so often in these reviews, and it takes a lot less effort.  They aren't paying attention to what I say anyway, so why not?

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

I need to be like the teacher in Pink Floyd's The Wall who just calls out a taunting, "Wro-ong!  Do it again!" repeatedly.  It's the same content as what I'm saying so often in these reviews, and it takes a lot less effort.  They aren't paying attention to what I say anyway, so why not?

In college, we heard an apocryphal story about a director who wouldn't give direction before rehearsals. People would simply start while he sat in the audience. When they began, if he didn't like what they were doing he would simply yell out, "Wrong." They would start again and try to get it right, and he would keep calling out, "Wrong." And that was all. 

I've always wanted to try that as a director. 😂

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

didn’t know this was an option.