The Academics Thread

Pariah

In the process of grading the exams I gave Monday.  Same structure for this class as always (*always = since fall 2014, when I started teaching this version of the course): essay format, 8 questions, 20 points each, best 5 scores make your exam score.

I've got one student who only attempted two questions.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Since total enrollment in the class is about 40, yeah, bottom of the class is -2σ.

Mind you, I blundered upon a post somewhere on these boards where I noted the scores on the final, with 160 possible, ranged from 140 down to 12 (and there were two at 12).

It seems to come as a total surprise that (1) no, you can't simply coast through college coursework like you could in high school, and (2) the old regurgitate the prompt technique for high school essays gets you nothing here.

Makes me want to don my old Dr. Satan identity.

Hint for students: If you go to a teacher the last week of the quarter and tell them you need miraculous assistance to pass their class because you were too busy with the golf team (or football, or volleyball, or the school play, or choir, or whatever) to keep up with the coursework, you'll find that approximately 0% of your teachers are impressed by this.

So, I find myself as a special education bus driver this year.  I'm clearly not a teacher, but do I get any partial credit for having to drive student around?  I do have to deal with the district bureaucracy telling me to ignore common sense and follow the rules.  Especially when they're ones where who lost the paperwork causing the issue.