Low Level, Mid Level, High Level.

Ragitsu

22 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Next up: McGuffins.

Low Level: The Head of Vecna

Middle Level: one of the Journals of Vecna, containing hints to the location of a vault where he concealed.....something. We'll know when we get there.

High Level: The Pituitary Gland of Vecna.

Next up: Traps

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary of Vecna. Wait, Vecna didn't have a palindromedary.....

McGuffins:

Low Level: "What's in the case? WHAT'S IN THE CASE?"

Mid Level: "The first sentient android has escaped from New Corp! It doesn't know it isn't human, but if it doesn't get back for maintenance, its internal fusion reactor will eventually explode!"

High Level: "The Star-Seed Omnium tears through the bleed at hyper-relative speeds. The source of the All-Life tears through the skin of the universe shattering an unfortunate galaxy in its path and snuffing out a hundred thousand nascent civilizations. For a billion years it burns through real space, warped and shaped by the lesser dimensions in size and force until, slowed to a pace that can be affected by such weak forces as gravity, the diminished husk of the ultimate artifact plunges into a small, star system lost in an non-descript arm of an unremarkable spiral galaxy. Such a husk is still the most powerful thing in the universe, and old, old powers awake to watch its fall.

(Cross posted with Lucius)  Next Up: Traps

5 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

McGuffins:

Low Level: "What's in the case? WHAT'S IN THE CASE?"

Mid Level: "The first sentient android has escaped from New Corp! It doesn't know it isn't human, but if it doesn't get back for maintenance, its internal fusion reactor will eventually explode!"

High Level: "The Star-Seed Omnium tears through the bleed at hyper-relative speeds. The source of the All-Life tears through the skin of the universe shattering an unfortunate galaxy in its path and snuffing out a hundred thousand nascent civilizations. For a billion years it burns through real space, warped and shaped by the lesser dimensions in size and force until, slowed to a pace that can be affected by such weak forces as gravity, the diminished husk of the ultimate artifact plunges into a small, star system lost in an non-descript arm of an unremarkable spiral galaxy. Such a husk is still the most powerful thing in the universe, and old, old powers awake to watch its fall.

(Cross posted with Lucius)  Next Up: Traps

Low:  The brigands your party has been pursuing for the last week has been discovered in the town.   Scouting the place, you realize that the only way to get to them is along a seldom used path.  Going down that path, it is found out that they studded the way with caltrops, and as discovering this, numerous minidarts fly around.  After these, there was a log to leap over.  The other side only appeared like a solid landing platform.  Everyone fell into a deep pit.

Mid:  Our party was attempting to get to the dragon hoard that we have heard so much about.  In doing so we encountered a whirlpool that when tested ended up in some random location.  This was only the first of several traps that we needed to cercomvent.

High:  Q (from Star Trek) decided to dermine if your party if worthy of his notice.  As a result, the entire party is now in another pocket dimension armed only with their wits and whatever supplies they could carry.  Now every being here must prove worth, not to Q but to their own insecurities and problems.

Next:  Fans

Low level: "I really liked that show with the starship because I have a crush on a castmember."

Medium level: "I'm confused about what counts as canon, which shows up in my fanfic."

High level: "This costume is based on what the Air Princess from Series 2, Number 27, would have worn if she'd become a High Avatar, like her sister, in Series 5, Number 13. Instead of what actually happened to her, which I have strong opinions about, let me share."

Next up, in honour of zslane's Starfinder-curious posts: The space-dungeon.

5 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

The space-dungeon.

Low level: "'The brig?' You think I'm going to have you thrown in the 'brig?' On a spaceship every gram of mass, every cubic centimeter of space, used for any purpose, is stolen from a hundred other priorities. Who has room for a brig? We're going to throw you out the airlock."

Mid level: "If you smuggle any kind of tool in, you can easily penetrate the cheap plastic of the pressurized unit we're confining you in. Then you're in a cargo hold we never bother to atmospherize. Feel free to escape, if you can breathe vacuum."

High level: "'The brig?' You think Long John Beryllium, scourge of the spaceways, is going to keep you in some kind of brig? I didn't become feared across half the galaxy by throwing people into brigs! We're going to throw you out the airlock."

Next up: dungeon spaces

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries - in space!

On 8/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, Lucius said:

Next up: dungeon spaces

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries - in space!

Low level: Dungeon room, three boxes deep, seven boxes long. Three doors, one open to the vestibule at the entrance to the Caves of Peril; one, secret, out of the pit trap in the middle of Level 2; one into the evil shrine at the end of Level 3. Contains: sixteen i HD orcs, two 2 HD org sergeants, 1 3HD orc leader, one 2 HD orc shaman. A tough encounter, and one that might trap your party in the Caves, or make a fight with the 4th level evil priest end-boss a bit too much to handle. However, if you can slip in through the secret door, and your magic user can cast Sleep . . . . 

Mid-level: A trap straight out of Grimtooth's traps and a golem guard two treasure chests and one of those mimic-chest thingies. Treasure includes three magic items, one of them cursed. 

High level: Each of the five doors in the next corridor lead to an oddly different parallel world (yes, yes, you're finally going to get to use that Gamma World boxed set you bought), where an epic campaign against the Demon Lady's extra-dimensional allies will earn you items that will be very handy in defeating her at the end of the dungeon.

I cannot comment on decor choices. Next up: End boss.   

4 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Next up: End boss.   

Low level: 4th level evil priest

Mid level: 4th level evil priest with undead allies and a skeleton squad

High level: 4th level evil priest and their demonic patron

next up: evil library

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary checks out "Anatomy of a Gelatinous Cube"

My public library has refused for nearly 20 years to forgive an overdue fee which came about because their after hours book return was stuffed to overflowing and I refused to leave their books, which I had signed for, sitting on the sidewalk for anyone to take.

If I'd been dishonest, I could have stolen 20 books to make room for my books in the return slot and have saved all this hassle.

I don't have any idea what level of evil library that counts as. But the libraries of the surrounding communities have an "overdue forgiveness" which eventually kicks in after some number of years.

< grumble, grumble >

• 5 months later...

Hmm when I entered to post on Evil Libary This appred in my writing box?

Looks like pirates vs ninjas?

Low: Skull river trading company has been terrorizing the river cities for years. The river cites already struggle to make an living in the post apocalyptic landscape and the jolly roger bearing motor boats of the Skull river trading company makes it much worse. Not only do they hold society back by having a strangle hold on all trade by heavy and unpredictable taxation of all who use the river. They also rob and kill other traders when the mood strikes them and even raid and pillage villages during lean times. One day an old Asian woman comes into the village and tells the pc's that she can teach them how to fight while being few against many. Teach them how to enter their enemies holdings without being seen, teach them to kill without making sound and teach them how to fade into the night before the pirates can mount a counterattack. 

If someone ask her why she does this she simply answer: "They are my enemies."

Medium: Admiral Redthorne have been not having many successes against the Virulans fleet lately, while also pirates have become a real problem for the empire, no longer a far off threat in shadowed waters they ply common trade routes and are cutting into Imperial profits. Strangely at court the admiral seem nonplussed at the criticism that is levied his way. The pc's are called to meet with "courier" Barb in a small independent city. She tells them the shocking truth! Admiral Redthorne have gone pirate and worse he is keeping all the booty for himself! She got proof of this but she needs protection from the pirates as she makes her way towards the Empire. Complicating things are that the Virulians know of the situation and have dispatched several of they ninjas to gain hold of this proof themselves. The pirates and ninjas will off course attack eachoter on sight as neither wants the other side to have the evidence and the players must protect "Courier" Barb, fight off pirates and ninjas and make sure no innocents are harmed in the crossfire when ninjas and pirates clash.

If you want to complicate things Barb can be the admirals daughter and the whole thing was just a ruse to draw out some of the most efficient assassins in the Virualian army. 

High: The great heroes failed their quest and the ultimate warlock evil curse have altered the world.

The sun itself have turned evil and he sends down his light pirates to burn the land, turning soil into sand, fields into wastelands and rivers into nothing. Only the ultimate warlock city of basalt is spared and only those who swear fealty to him are allowed to endlessly toil in the dwindling soil under his shadow.

The only force that can stand against the evil light of the ultimate warlock and the sinister sun is the night ninjas! Fighting to cool down the burned, shade the overheated and protect the world from sinister sun the ninjas of mother night must find a way to navigate the world they have been banished from. They are willing to merge with the pc's and lend them their awesome night ninja powers! But first the pc's most prove their worth..

Anyway on with Evil Library.

Low: On the bad end of town an religious fanatic guards a library over the towns unwed mothers, orphans and other people that are defenseless and at risk. The books in the library not only chronicles their lives but also the best way to attack and rob the unlucky targets. Nobody knows who writes those book and how they appear in the library but the religious fanatics that guards it claims that they are the gift of the "gods of justice". In their warped and evil views the people that suffer tragedies and unluck deserve it because of some kind of inherent sin and the righteous are morally in the right to attack them and add to the unfortunates suffering. Little more than gleeful vultures and bully boys these cretins might lack the courage to attack the evil library themselves but they willingly inform and help those that do. 

Medium: In the dark dismal swamp stands an old crumbling monastery. Its decrepit shelves holds scrolls and books with old wisdom and spells and the creepy librarian lets travelers lend books for a small fee, she is not worried that books will not be returned. Anyone who does not return the books in time are cursed. 

The librarian is just a manifestation of the evil that have grown in this monastery that were once dedicated to an evil god. The building itself is an evil entity and its power is dependent on the souls that die in the swamp traveling to the monastery . It can control the swamp, changing the paths making safe ones unsafe and unsafe ones safe. It uses this power to confuse visitors. 

High: On the outer plains of dust and ash there stands an humongous castle it got no windows and it is so tall that its not possible to see the roof from the ground but it looks to be another building of some sort on the top of it. 

Even getting to the bleak halls library is difficult the dust and ash plains have never been mapped and the whole place is on the edge of the world, some say that if you travel further you will go to the hells or some other abyssal depth. Even if you can get there you will still have to get inside the building that have no windows or doors. Yelling at house or attacking the walls might bring a dark hooded being out to look down on the party from the top of the building but it will quickly disapear as the walls of this place can not be hurt by any mortal agency. 

The only way in is the small bastion on top, guarded by hell knights and spell casting demons you better make sure you got your library card in order and up to date! 

The inner library is cloaked in eternal darkness and the shelves are made of solid iron that harms anyone non evil touching it. The books themselves are all filled with dark spells and evil techniques only usable by the most dark hearted individuals and is actually meant for demons, devils, undead and other supernatural evil creatures. A mortal character no matter how powerful must be on his guard against sudden attacks by the librarian maw beasts all the time they are here. Even so they still have to adhere to the rules or the library. Otherwise the evil demigod that have created this place will come for you. Do not be late on your returns!

On 6/23/2018 at 8:39 PM, Cancer said:

Low level: Seduce the scullery maid (or stable hand) of your choice.  Make her/him grateful.

Medium level: You get seduced by a section of the housekeeping staff.  They make you grateful.

High level: You get caught by the lord of the castle in flagrante delicto seducing the lady of the castle (or vice versa, as appropriate) while the outraged spouse is still sober and the castle guards are still armed and on duty.  Actually, it is up to you if you are the seducer or the seducee; it really doesn't matter.  In any event, you will be grateful if you make it out of there alive.

Next topic: Negotiating peace with a long-time enemy.

Ultra high level:  You smile at the lord of the castle, nod a come hither gesture and the scene cuts away as he starts taking off his shirt.   ( It helps a lot if you’re playing in a Game of Thrones universe.)

On 8/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, archer said:

My public library has refused for nearly 20 years to forgive an overdue fee which came about because their after hours book return was stuffed to overflowing and I refused to leave their books, which I had signed for, sitting on the sidewalk for anyone to take.

If I'd been dishonest, I could have stolen 20 books to make room for my books in the return slot and have saved all this hassle.

I don't have any idea what level of evil library that counts as. But the libraries of the surrounding communities have an "overdue forgiveness" which eventually kicks in after some number of years.

< grumble, grumble >

Keep checking.  More enlightened libraries are realizing that overdue fees are completely counterproductive.