"summonable" item

So you have some weapons.  You don't want to carry them around, or at least not on your person...you have to go thru detectors, for example.  But you want to be able to "call them" at need.  How about this, as a custom Adder to that weapon:

Teleport, 1 m

Megascale, 1m = 1 km, +1

Reduced END (0 END)   (because the weapon has no END)

Trigger ("called by caster"), Zero Phase, a turn or more to reset.  Trigger can expire.  Net +1/4

Can Only Teleport to Fixed Locations (-1)

Active:  3  Real:  1

Teleport, 1 Fixed Location (the person enabling the trigger)

Active: 1  Real:  1

Total:  2 points

I glanced through some of the earlier attempts to try to build a Summon Weapon, and I think this avoids the pitfalls.  The impetus is on the item itself, it's not from the character.  Thoughts?

Also, this approach works to define the Returning property for a ranged weapon such as a spear or dagger...you throw it to make an attack, and it returns to your hand immediately thereafter.  That's just a change to the Trigger. 

I like this. One question I always have on returnable weapons is what if someone catches the thrown dagger? Or just picks it up? Or maybe you even hit your opponent and bury it to the hilt in his ribs, and it gets stuck! Would STR with range be needed for these types of situations? We never "see" how the weapons return, except for maybe watching Thor's hammer smash through things to get back to him, which only begs the question: how much STR does the hammer need in order to fulfill its prescribed duty to return to Thor?

Well, with Thor's hammer, you could say it never slows down.  :)  His range, even with Range Based on STR, is gonna be rather large.  (And the hammer's range may actually be LOS.)

You do point out that the teleport for Returning might need "must pass through intervening space" so in principle the weapon could be trapped.  That obviously wouldn't make sense for the primary purpose.

1 hour ago, JmOz said:

Easier to get rid of OAF and replace with Physical Manifestation

Are you talking about the Callable power, or the Returning power?  The Returning power...not really because it returns after it's been thrown.  It can be taken away.  The Callable power...maybe.  One thing of note is, MegaScale teleport is non-combat teleport...so it takes an extra phase.  

So...couple options.  #1, require it to be Breakable.  Durable, sure, but Breakable.  #2, the Teleport only has 1 charge, then the effect has to be restored on the item.  #3, say the Trigger takes 5 minutes to recover, so the weapon can be taken away, and kept away, for the duration of the combat.  

Foci have no senses by default, so you would need to buy it a sense to perceive the call. And the character would need some method of transmission that could be "heard" a kilometer away. It could (and would in my campaigns) still be subject to not returning due to distance, darkness versus whatever sense it uses, things that have "Cannot be escaped with teleportation (+1/4)" advantage (or use variable advantage to apply it), etc. Limitations get used, just like I make sure that if someone pays points for something, it will get used.

I think JmOz was trying to say you just don't buy a Foci at all. Just create the powers you want with that limitation instead, since you are essentially getting around most of the limitations that make foci worth more point savings.

Also, a point made specifically in Megascale is that campaign minimums still apply to it. So if 5m is the minimum for teleport,  the weapon would have to buy 5m of teleport and then megascale it. In games where supers are common or magical spells are self created I often have minimums in place to prevent abuses rather than having to argue with someone who thinks that whatever they want is "in concept" for their character.

- E

The way that I have always seen returning weapons is more of an SFX than anything else, except perhaps a physical manifestation.  Since it would not be possible without major effort to separate the weapon and character, the focus lim does not apply.  Most of the time I would find it difficult to apply the phys  manifestation lim but since there is some actual target for another to hit an argument can be made.  

I usually do the comic book interpretation of Hero so it'd just be a special effect of the power.  For example, Thor's hammer returning to his hand is just part of the special effect of the hammer doing a 24d6 EB defined as throwing the hammer at a target.  In the comics, Thor has had the hammer return to him and not destroyed anything in its path (the hammer dodges things in the way), so that might be something else like an AoE Line attack must follow hammer throw.

2 minutes ago, clnicholsusa said:

I know I'm late jumping in, here, but wouldn't the weapon require a SPD score to set the trigger (perhaps I'm asking whether or not even a 0 phase action requires that there be a phase)?

What makes you think it's the weapon, not the character, setting the Trigger?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's Roy Rogers

46 minutes ago, clnicholsusa said:

Looked like the teleport power was given to the weapon, otherwise it would need UBO or UAA to move the weapon once the weapon is thrown, or was the idea for the character to 'port to the weapon that was hurled?

Now that I look at it, yes, seems  you're right.

Lucius Alexander

And seems I have a palindromedary tagline here.