Duke's scans

Duke Bushido

6 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yeah, Copyright, it’s why I can’t share scans from Rogues Gallery (except my own stuff) to this or other audiences n

True enough, except that we already completely edited Western HERO without any problems or resistance. I think the Adventurers' Club rejection must be coming from a place other than copyright problems. Just a guess, and not a very educated one at that!

2 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yeah, Copyright, it’s why I can’t share scans from Rogues Gallery (except my own stuff) to this or other audiences n

First off:

Thanks to everyone who contributed their personal scans and even a couple of actual books to work from.  The books are already in the mail to be returned (and insured for more than enough to replace them, just in case; and I can't thank the both of you enough!).  Those of you who contributed your personal scans:

I will continue working on the Adventurers Club for my own personal use, but only those books for which I now have paper copies.  I have deleted all digital forms of any Adventurers Club issues that I do not currently own in print (i've been tracking them down for this project and have about 1/3 of them at this point) as copyright law does not entitle me to anything more than "backups" of what I own in print.  I will start with the issues for which various forum members contributed their personal scans (and of course, that I own books for).  As I rework the scans, if you would like copies of the re-worked versions, let me know via PM (so I have an easy-to-find reference of who and what), and when they are done (as you can see, it might be a while), I will happily shoot them to you.  I am sorry that I cannot do the others, but as I've said numerous times:  I am totally against piracy: people put a lot of work into their products for whatever reward they sought-- pay, satisfaction, whatever-- and they aren't getting either from illegally-distributed copies.  I can't in good faith support my own beliefs while simultaneously violating them, thus the deletion I mentioned earlier.

Of course, it totally bears mentioning that should a Bundle of Holding appear on the horizon containing "archival-quality" hi-res scans, I will cease working on this project at all and snap that up instead.  :lol:

Scott Ruggles:

I'm not knocking copyright.  Yes; there is _no doubt_ I would love to see your Rogues Gallery work (and honestly, Rogues Gallery, _period!_ :D ), but not so badly as to deprive someone of their right to decide who gets to to see their work and who doesn't.

What a minute-- It wasn't just that asteroid picture in -- was it a Traveller supplement?-- that I've seen your name.  Your work was in the revised 5e rulebook, too, wasn't it?   Seems like I saw "Ruggles" in there somewhere.....

11 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

What a minute-- It wasn't just that asteroid picture in -- was it a Traveller supplement?-- that I've seen your name.  Your work was in the revised 5e rulebook, too, wasn't it?   Seems like I saw "Ruggles" in there somewhere.....

I said the same thing in another thread the other day. I was randomly looking in a book I haven’t touched in 30 years, and there his name was in one of my favorite pictures back in the day. He’s everywhere, man!

Well, crap.

I mean  "Yay!", but _crap_!

Just discovered that Matt Forbeck (writer of the Western HERO genre book) sold that book _twice_.   Or maybe just once, since Iron Crown owned HERO as well as Role Master at the time...

At any rate, the Western HERO genre book was released for Role Master as "Outlaws."  I know this because my brother brought me a copy today.

I've only perused it, but the bulk of the art is the same (that could have saved a lot of restoration work, right there!) as are the first four sections.

I'm wondering if it might contain also the scenario with the confusion:  When we don't know if Adam is the dog, the preacher, or the young man, or who does what and when.

If I find out it does, I may have to re-do the PDF and make that correction.  :lol:

Though at first skim, it seems like there's more content in the Role Master book......

Well, that same ambiguity exists in the Role Master version as well.

Though there's a couple of nifty charts in an appendix that the HERO version doesn't have: conversion char acts from Role Master to Western HERO to all three (at that time) versions of Boot Hill, covering Characteristics and even Skills.  Wish I'd had that; I'd have stuck in a couple pages at the end.  :lol:  (No; likely I wouldn't.  I think some guy in South Carolina has the copyrights for Role Master right now).

I'd whine about Copyrights, if I had not been an admin for a now long defunct art board and would have to patrol for "Art Theft". ack in the late 90's -early oughts.  

And yes I was all over the paper RPG inddustry back then, and was trying to get gigs illustrating for Analog and Asimov's, because of Janet Aulisio's work being both in Hero and those magazines. (Didn't make it though.)

Currently trying to boost my skills to the base TSR levels in digital painting.

• 2 weeks later...

All right! 

Looks like we _might_ get the Western HERO with covers in the store after this weekend.  No definate answer yet. 

Also looks like we'll be getting a Horror HERO, but no official word on that, either.  No; it's not my work (good and bad:  it's a decent job, and now I don't have to chop up the books I bought for this project, but I think with time I might have turned in a more archive grade, print-ready copy.  (and the spine). 

Again, no official word yet;  Jason's a busy guy, and I don't hear back immediately on things. 

Keep your fingers crossed! 

Got a bit of word tonight:

The Horror HERO book is out of my hands and into Jason's.  He's also willing to update the Western HERO scan to a version with covers: I just have to find the time (and a better electronical box) to put it together.  Hopefully after this weekend-- I'm going to run to my brother's place and finish it up.  Not sure when Horror HERO is going up, but keep an eye out if you don't own the book or just want a highly-portable copy.  For what it's worth, I thought Western was more generally useful (and better put-together), but if you've not read Horror, it's a pretty solid book with some interesting ideas (once you get past the E.G. Marshall-esque "hosted by a character" presentation), and if you're one of the few people who aren't comfortable with the idea of "custom characteristics" as a flavor device, well this book gives official endorsement of the idea, and does everything but _demand_ you add SAN(ity) to your character sheets straight away.  :D

There.  Now you've got permission, and have had it since before your kids were born.  Go play!

(for what it's worth, Mental Defense, Presence Defense, and STUN Defense (Base Zero) have been on my character sheets for _years_, but you have to do what's right for you and your group ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 8:35 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Well Western HERO shows ten downloads.

Granted, I'm pretty sure that six of them are _me_, checking to see if the "with covers" version is up yet.  As of this very moment, it isn't.  :(

I just bought and downloaded it today. Was bummed about the lack of covers, but now I'm hoping they'll show up someday...

1 hour ago, GM Joe said:

I just bought and downloaded it today. Was bummed about the lack of covers, but now I'm hoping they'll show up someday...

Joe:

I've _got_ the covers.  Send me a screen cap or something showing you paid nice and legal, and I'll get them to you.  

Still waiting for the change myself.  Of course, I'd also like to get a better copy of 2e (mine's colorized, so I'd have to start from scratch) and a better copy of 1e (with the actual 1e sheets in it), but time-- I just don't have as much as I did when all this started....

• 9 months later...

Woo-hoo! 

Okay, folks, Jason has AC issues 1 & 2 now.  I'm just scanning them; I'm not doing any of the clean up or restoration, nor do I know who is.  I am scanning in 1200 DPI and sending them as PNG (my current set up doesn't do vector files. :(    ) to make sure they get the best head start I can give them.  I would love to do it from start to finish, but there is a serious time problem. 

On the plus side, I have been given carte blanche to make better copies of anything currently available in the HERO Store!   It's going to take a lot of time, as I'm working without my good system, and with way less time than I had when I was working my old job, but I'm excited!

I mean, I can't be the only one tired of looking at that weirdly-cleaned up Enemies book or that partially-counterfeit 1e rules book with the 2e character sheets, can I? 

There is nothing on the near horizon (save perhaps my personal 2e PDF, which is ahhh "vahra anahs....", but the one in the store is pretty good as-is (though mine prints better ;).  For the moment, scanning AC is my priority, so don't look for anything any time soon unless it's something I have already done and remembered to submit. 

I just got excited and wanted to share.