You're Under Arrest!

Steve

If a character flashes a badge (like an FBI agent or even a local PD officer), would doing so provide them any sort of bonus when making a PRE attack? I'm thinking it might, maybe +5 PRE, but I was curious how others viewed it.

Do you think a badge could be built as a type of equipment that offered a small PRE boost in such limited circumstances?

1. I Carry  a Badge:  (Total: 2 Active Cost, 1 Real Cost) +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. [a specific group of characters](criminals being arrested)) (2 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 1)

Lucius Alexander

I'm a palindromedary. I carry a Lucius Alexander.

The effects of flashing a badge depend upon the audience. There are those who respect the badge that can be persuaded into compliance, and there are those who fear the badge that can be intimidated into compliance. In either case however, the more you demand compliance, the more likely you are to gain a bad reputation for it. Of course, in some situations the side effects are much more detrimental. If you flash your badge at a VIPER nest, you better succeed with your Presence Attack because your negative reputation might just be granted posthumously.

I suggest one of these:

• Flash My Badge:  +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (3 Active Points); OIF (FBI Badge; -1/2), Side Effects (Negative Reputation; -1/4)
  • FBI Badge:  (Total: 4 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. those who respect FBI Authority) (2 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. those who fear FBI authority) (2 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Side Effects (Negative reputation; -1/4) (Real Cost: 1)

My cynical mind imagines that people are fine with someone having authority, but if you actually exercise it on a regular basis then people complain about it. How many times would it take for you to be upset that a policer officer confiscated your car or demanded you do something just because they had a badge? I guess I see "flashing your badge" as a workaround for "actually having a subpoena" or other legal means of making civilians "subject to orders."

6 hours ago, Durzan Malakim said:

My cynical mind imagines that people are fine with someone having authority, but if you actually exercise it on a regular basis then people complain about it.

And that complaint should not result in a bad/negative reputation unless your exercise of the authority was … unjust.  i.e. Fair application of justice should yield a positive/neutral outcome, but unfair application of (in)justice is the only situation in which negative reputation should result.  At least if you want to be reasonably true to life...

On 12/3/2018 at 1:44 AM, Steve said:

If a character flashes a badge (like an FBI agent or even a local PD officer), would doing so provide them any sort of bonus when making a PRE attack? I'm thinking it might, maybe +5 PRE, but I was curious how others viewed it.

Do you think a badge could be built as a type of equipment that offered a small PRE boost in such limited circumstances?

I could see it as +5 PRE as an OAF (limited to people who think someone having a badge is impressive).

I'm in the camp of people who know their rights and who also knows the rights of a policeman, so someone flashing their badge at me wouldn't accomplish anything positive for the officer. I'll react positively to someone trying to have a rational conversation with me but not positively for someone IRL who tries to presence attack me with a badge. I'm more likely to involuntarily laugh in the officer's face if he tried it.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:13 PM, pinecone said:

You could just say that flashing a badge "is demonstrating a power (legal authority to use violence)" and add in a bonus to Pres that way?

This is simple and elegant solution, which means of course that the board will find a way to complicate it.