Remote Control question

Colossus

I am trying to build a flying platform (like the Goblin Glider from Marvel) that is remote controlled.  Obviously I could built a computer or AI to control it, but I really want to build to control into a ring the character can use to control it at a range.  Is Telekinesis with the only effects limited objects (the Flyer) the best way to simulate this?  Through Megascale on and it works at a reasonable distance.    

I can think of several possibilities to accomplish what you want:

1. Build a Computer into the Glider with a "Return to Master" program. If you want to run the Computer through a ring that you wear, represent that with a Physical Complication on the Computer (that the ring can be taken away from you, etc.). Alternately, consider the Multiple Foci rules (6E1 380) so that both the Computer and the ring can be required to operate the Glider.

2. Use the Cyberkinesis rules in the APG. You might need to tweak them a bit to get what you want.

3. Forget about trying to represent this with rules and just wing it. You and the GM can agree that you can remote control your Glider, you just can't do anything that's effective in game (like ramming someone) with the remote control -- you can just call the Glider home. I played a Green Goblin "clone" character for years and remote controlled my glider this way with the permission of the GM. It never caused any sort of game balance problems.

What do you think, Herodom Assembled? What other ideas do you have for Colossus?

On 1/22/2019 at 11:00 AM, Colossus said:

I am trying to build a flying platform (like the Goblin Glider from Marvel) that is remote controlled.  Obviously I could built a computer or AI to control it, but I really want to build to control into a ring the character can use to control it at a range.  Is Telekinesis with the only effects limited objects (the Flyer) the best way to simulate this?  Through Megascale on and it works at a reasonable distance.    

Just use Flight and an OIF.  The only reason to have a Remote if there is a chance someone will take it away from you.

What do you want this flying platform to be able to do when you are not riding it?  Carry other people?  Grab other people?  Ram other people?

All of those things would be covered by the Telekinesis power, only you would not be actually controlling the flier - the flier would be, in effect, the SFX for your telekinesis power.

I mean, you could build it as a Multipower in a focus:

SLOT 1 - Flight

SLOT 2 - Telekinesis

That way when you are not using it to fly yourself, you could pick someone else up and move them, damage them or whatever you like (i.e. you are using the second slot not the first).  

What you would not be doing is using your TK to pick up the flier and move it about - that is all just the way the TK power looks, the SFX.  I mean, you COULD do that, but it seems unnecessarily complicated, mechanically.  What you describe is 'real world' logical, but is not necessarily the way HERO would approach the problem.

You would have to decide if the flier can be targeted and destroyed, or if it is effectively unbreakable and can not be prevented from returning from you.  It is either part of the focus or it is pure SFX, and the ring is the focus.  I'd probably allow you to take the ring as a focus (In/obvious, Inaccessible) but ALSO take 'Restrainable' to represent someone getting hold of the flier.  You can do that with the GM's permission, by RAW.

Build it as an Automaton. This way people can damage it since the idea is based on the Goblin Glider, which Spidey damaged/destroyed plenty of times. Give it Flight and INT. The INT will allow it to fly to you, or if you command it, fly to someone else; it can have a 1 INT, thus allowing one command "Fly to....."

I'm with Tech.  You are building a vehicle that can make rudimentary decisions, enough at least to guide itself. 

No END expenditure, no "it falls from the sky if you get knocked out," no "what is the range of your TK" or "it can't go there because you will lose Los." 

It's a car.  

Certainly we can over-think and over-model it, but it's a programmable car. 

You could just buy it and yourself radio hear and transmit to operate it remotely like a radio controlled drone.  If you used it as an attack, such as ramming someone, I would give you range modifiers based on the position of the glider, the target and yourself as a penalty for trying to operate something remotely especially if you don't have an AI or some remote targeting sense from the drone perspective.

Obvious Inaccsible Focus has it's merit. In the sense that it is hard to deprive you of it's use, because it comes back to you. Maybe even change it down to "Restrainable" (you can be restrained from using it or the flier itself can be restrained). Or just let the limtiations out entirely. Remember that limitations are something you pick because you want it. If I do not want my power amor to be destructible, I build it with "Only in Alternate Identity" rather then Focus. No limitation is mandatory in Superheroics, no mater how "logical" they appear.

Telekinesis/Blast, Indirect with the Special Effect "ram the Glider into the target via remote control" would also work. Indeed it would work without any penalties to hitting as it is a "personal" power.

Another approach might be Clairsentience. As you control the glider (I am not sure how to build a Remote Control on both ends; but I think some Radio/HRRP would be enough), as long as you can see through it you can maneuver it however you like. Do however note that Clairsentience needs a extra "Targetting" adder, to use your targetting senses effectively. Reliably aiming via Clairsentience is not trivial.

Finally there is the option that the Glider can act independantly. All Vehicles have a SPD, but they lack the abiltiy to decide what to do. This one has the will to decide on actions.

The flight function would be easy - just give it enough STR to carry you and as much flight as you want.

Vehicle with Computer or Automaton Follower could both work for this.