Ridiculous Feats and stats?

4 hours ago, ScrewySquirrel said:

of course the abilities can be modeled...the question was howe to include these without making a 'juggling planets' power level game, so that players can pull off this kind of awesome regularly, while still facing down henchmen

If it’s to be really rare. I would just use Heroic Points to represent it. How often are you going to punch a mountain down?

On 3/22/2019 at 10:27 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

These are examples of powers that, if a character could do this, they would do it all the time in a Champions game rather than once in a while when the script calls for it.  If the Flash was as fast and powerful as he's been depicted in special circumstances through the years, all the time, the Justice League would hear about a problem then the Flash would be dusting his costume off a half second later saying "what's next?"

Flash's powers can be simulated by Extra-Dimensional Movement [Any Location Where The World Is Frozen In Time] to show him moving at super-speed.  It does allow him to travel anywhere in a turn but does not allow him to fight because it's non-combat movement.  A Transformation [Cosmetic] Area Affect could used for him to say clean up a room.  Speed Reading and Eidetic Memory allow him to gather and retain information quickly.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, ScrewySquirrel said:

Is there a way beyond GM Fiat to do off-the-scale feats of strength or speed?

<snip>

On 3/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, ScrewySquirrel said:

But modelling any of these straight would seriously skew point values well out of the scale of normal gameplay.  Is there something in the mechanics that allows this cinematic 'push well above your stats'?

So, lots of answers I’m this thread, here’s one more.

Is there a way to model them?  Sure.  It’s just points, and you can build nearly any effect if you spend enough of them. That said, actually doing so is not always the right answer - “...just because we can do a thing it does not necessarily follow that we must do that thing.”

As a GM there are a few questions that automatically go through my mind when things like this come up:

(1) Is this something the character is going to want to do more than once?  If so, can it be built in a manner that could actually be purchased for the character? Is so write it up, apply some GM enforcement limitations, and make the character pay for it.  If it’s truly a one-off stunt, see below.

(2) Will this have a discernible impact on Combat?  If not, and if the character has some power(s) that I can rationalize into being appropriate, I say just do it.  Make the character roll a Power Skill roll, maybe.  If it will have an impact, I may still just let it happen, but there will definitely be skill roll(s) and costs involved.

If it’s to be really rare. I would just use Heroic Points to represent it. How often are you going to punch a mountain down?

If you are going to insist on having this kind of thing, yeah.  Let people burn a hero point to do something really spectacular but not combat-involved with their powers.  In other words, you can't punch Dr Destroyer in half in a fight, but you can punch a mountain in half to fly under it.

6 hours ago, John Desmarais said:

Is there a way to model them?  Sure.  It’s just points, and you can build nearly any effect if you spend enough of them. That said, actually doing so is not always the right answer - “...just because we can do a thing it does not necessarily follow that we must do that thing.”

"We Heroites always ask if we can, but we never asked if you should."

Well okay, I sometimes do ask :)

19 hours ago, Christopher said:

"We Heroites always ask if we can, but we never asked if you should."

Well okay, I sometimes do ask :)

We don't ask if we can. We assume we can and ask "how?"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sometimes asks me "Why?" and sometimes asks "Why not?"