Power Build: Anywhere on Earth in a flash

CrosshairCollie

Yeah, I'm really rusty, I should be able to figure this out myself, but I can't wrap my skull around it.

Using Teleportation with Must Cross Intervening Distance as the base, I want to build a power that literally lets the character dash anywhere on the planet's surface ... SAFELY.  No (or at least very minimal) risk of teleporting into an object, as that doesn't make any sense with the super-running special effect to me.

Help, por favor?

Upgrade the non-combat multiplier until you can cover a planetary distance immediately.  The level of MegaMovement you'd want for this is a +2 advantage on the teleport.  

May or may not need to also pick up a detect/sense similarly scaled to make a safe trip to the location.  This would also be at a +2 advantage.  Might be able to buy it as a Naked Advantage on the characters natural eyesight to cut the cost a bit.

Your advantages are a little off, Earth is about 12,000 km in diameter, so that's the farthest you would need to go teleporting:

Teleportation 12m, MegaScale (1m = 1,000 km; +1 3/4) (33 Active Points) (Real Cost: 33)

and the circumference is about 40,000 km so that's all the running you would need

40m Running, (1m=1000 km; +1 3/4) .

Assuming you are a speedster anyway, it seems like putting normal Running in an MP with a Megascale running, 1 KM = 10,000 km, would make this a cheap flavour trick.

30 Reserve

3 u 8 m Running, Megascale 10,000 km (+2), 0 END 28 AP

3 u +24m Running, 1/2 END 30 AP

Or make that first slot Teleport, Safe Blind, must cross intervening space, if desired.

11 hours ago, massey said:

Use Extra Dimensional Movement.  Single dimension, any location.  Define the dimension as this dimension, then put a limitation "only on the surface of this planet" for like a -1/4.  Should be like 20 points.

"A character with this Movement Power can travel from one dimension to another".  Emphasis mine. 

8 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

"A character with this Movement Power can travel from one dimension to another".  Emphasis mine. 

Creative application of Extra-Dimensional Movement can simulate any situation in which a character is in a different state of being, cannot interact with the “real world,” or is any place which is inaccessible to others. Possible examples include the sub-atomic “universe” a Shrinking superhero can “travel” to by shrinking to incredibly tiny sizes, a virtual computer universe in “cyberspace,” or an “impenetrable ward” spell where the protected items are safe because they’re actually in another “dimension.”

Champions Complete, page 67

It appears that a "dimension" can be whatever you want it to be.  So you can travel into the Webway Tunnel or the Speed Zone or through the Wormhole Field and pop back out on the other side.  Or you can just recognize the power for what it is, and that's the ability to Scene Change at will.

As a GM I would reject Extradimensional Movement because the examples given are changes in dimension in the sense of location and size.  Just treating the existing world as another dimension clearly is not the intent or even description of the power.  Getting microscopic is basically another world.  Moving from Point A to Point B in the same world, not so much.  Even in the description quoted, it says "any situation in which a character is in a different state of being, cannot interact with the 'real world,' or is any place which is inaccessible to others" which obviously does not describe "running fast in this world" since none of those three clauses apply (they are not in a different state of being, they can interact with the real world, and clearly everywhere they go to is accessible to others).

And finally the rules also say 

The default with Extra-Dimensional Movement is that a character can only travel to a single physical location in any dimension he can travel to, and he has to define that location when he buys the power (which he cannot change thereafter).

So you even if it were permissible, you could only go to, for example, Bob's Shake Shack in Long Island, not anywhere on the planet.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

So you even if it were permissible, you could only go to, for example, Bob's Shake Shack in Long Island, not anywhere on the planet.

While I would not use EDM, is it not possible he could enter a dimension (The Speed Force) from which he can exit anywhere on Earth?  Anyway, 25 gives you "any physical location in a single dimension".   GMs option allows for such powers to travel and return to any location.  Practically, any power like this will be GMs Option anyway.

How useful will it be?  If negligible - just a parlour trick - a small cost is reasonable.  If it will have a significant impact in-game, a higher cost is warranted.

Or, I suppose, he could buy Time Travel - 20 points + 1 for any point 1 turn before or after, +10 for any single location in the physical dimension.  31 AP, and Limited to "only travels to one count down on the DEX count; physical locations limited to the planet he is on". 

While I would not use EDM, is it not possible he could enter a dimension (The Speed Force) from which he can exit anywhere on Earth? 

Only if he bought the moving adder, otherwise you can only travel to a specific location in each given dimension (and, presumably, back to where you came from).

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Only if he bought the moving adder, otherwise you can only travel to a specific location in each given dimension (and, presumably, back to where you came from).

Detailed above - but note that you have to presume limited return options because RAW is silent.  To me, it is a reasonable baseline assumption, but then I can also envision concepts where the return point is fixed, and it makes no difference where you departed from. 

This is one of those abilities which rarely comes up in combat, but is nevertheless highly useful, so I think, as a GM/player/rules grognard, that the minimum cost should be appropriately weighted--25 points minimum seems about right.  An extremely useful ability with no direct combat utility might cost as much as 75 points minimum(e.g., the ability to see and hear anything on the planet).  

On 6/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Assuming you are a speedster anyway, it seems like putting normal Running in an MP with a Megascale running, 1 KM = 10,000 km, would make this a cheap flavour trick.

30 Reserve

Or make that first slot Teleport, Safe Blind, must cross intervening space, if desired.

I'd definitely go with Hugh on this. Cheap and effective.

Flight and running both have a drawback of acceleration and deceleration, meaning winding up to full speed and down takes at least a phase each (barring expensive advantages).  Plus turn radius, etc.  And, of course, running won't work on water.  So they wouldn't be exactly instant, but close enough (especially for someone with high speed).  Using megascale helps, but you can't both move 1m=1km megascale and the smaller scale movement in the same phase, you have to switch "modes" each phase to "reactivate" the movement power:

Thus, every time he uses his Running he can define each meter as being anywhere from 1m long (standard, personal scale) to 10 km long (allowing him to run up to 200 km per Phase!).

Although a GM may allow a character to swap modes in half phase actions, with half moves.

There is also this little bit which I think most GMs tend to not worry about, in the rules: 

[Megascale is] intended to allow characters to create interesting, useful, and flavorful abilities (often non-combat ones), not to... allow a character to travel anywhere he wants instantly.

Frankly I don't care if Speed Lass can be anywhere instantly, but your campaign may vary.

32 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Frankly I don't care if Speed Lass can be anywhere instantly, but your campaign may vary.

Yeah, it's just a scene change power.  Think of it like a movie.  You're in one place, you cut, now you're in another place.  It doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, you're just there.

It doesn't matter if you're Super Rich Guy, and you got to Paris in a private jet.

It doesn't matter if you're Drunk Tourist Guy, and you got to Paris riding in coach.

It doesn't matter if you're Superspeed Guy, and you got to Paris in an instant with your superspeed.

Exactly how you do it isn't important, because nothing important happens between scenes.  The GM knows the limits of your powers.  If it's important for you to get to Paris before the terrorists strike or something, and he doesn't give you the opportunity to do so, then it's not that your character failed, it's that he wasn't allowed to succeed.  If we are relying on Drunk Tourist Guy to save the day, and he's got to get to Paris, then the terrorists have to wait for him to catch a regular flight.  Otherwise the character just isn't allowed to participate in the adventure that is going on elsewhere.

9 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

This is one of those abilities which rarely comes up in combat, but is nevertheless highly useful, so I think, as a GM/player/rules grognard, that the minimum cost should be appropriately weighted--25 points minimum seems about right.  An extremely useful ability with no direct combat utility might cost as much as 75 points minimum(e.g., the ability to see and hear anything on the planet).  

7 hours ago, Tech said:

I'd definitely go with Hugh on this. Cheap and effective.

Agree - if it is too cheap for its impact, then we need to price it higher.  Will the adventure take place on the other side of the earth, or is this just a flavour power?

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Flight and running both have a drawback of acceleration and deceleration, meaning winding up to full speed and down takes at least a phase each (barring expensive advantages).  Plus turn radius, etc.  And, of course, running won't work on water.  So they wouldn't be exactly instant, but close enough (especially for someone with high speed).  Using megascale helps, but you can't both move 1m=1km megascale and the smaller scale movement in the same phase, you have to switch "modes" each phase to "reactivate" the movement power:

Thus, every time he uses his Running he can define each meter as being anywhere from 1m long (standard, personal scale) to 10 km long (allowing him to run up to 200 km per Phase!).

So make the slot Teleport with "must cross intervening space".  Make it 1 meter Teleport, Megascale 100,000,000 km (+3), 0 END, safe blind T-Port 4 AP...since I can choose "anywhere from 1 m long to 100,000,000 km", I choose the precise distance between where I am and where I want to be.  With only 4 AP, I can also put a lot of OCV bonuses to get where I want to go into a multipower slot.

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's it, absolutely.  A few points if it makes little difference in game, but a lot if it is powerful in game.  How much does Black Panther pay to be King of Wakanda?  That depends - does he get to rely on his network of intelligence operatives to be able to find anyone or anything in a matter of minutes, and bring his personal army, with cutting-edge high tech weaponry to every combat?  That will be a lot more expensive than just meaning it when he says "I am King of a Nation".

On 6/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

30 Reserve

I know it's not that important, but why do you need to be able to circle the globe twice to get anywhere on the planet? If the only concern is enough, just apply a naked modifier to the standard running:

MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (24 Active Points).

Now you can run completely around the earth three times in each phase. Maybe if you go in the right direction you can turn back time (sorry, Cher, it only works if you can run).

Yeah, it's just a scene change power.  Think of it like a movie.  You're in one place, you cut, now you're in another place.  It doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, you're just there.

I actually wrote a comic where he had that exact power, he could move between panels and be wherever he wanted to be.  One panel he's in the mansion, the next he's at the Statue of Liberty.  It was all adjacent to him because it was just in the next panel.