Western Hero Redone

On 8/26/2019 at 5:19 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

William Munny crouches by the door of the tavern and is worried about ambush from the men he chased out of the room earlier.  He does a Presence Attack to try to cow them: 

“Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down!”

My favourite stand down quote from Clint was in The Outlaw Josey Wales when bounty hunters come looking for him...

Bounty hunter #1: You’re wanted, Wales.
Josey Wales: Reckon I’m right popular. You a bounty hunter?
Bounty hunter #1: A man’s got to do something for a living these days.
Josey Wales: Dyin’ ain’t much of a living, boy.

On August 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

So I was fooling around with potential wild west martial arts (distinct from, say Kwai Chang Caine) that might be included and came up with four different ones.  At first I was thinking "meh, just leave it out it doesn't fit" but then I realized that "martial arts" in Hero doesn't necessarily mean specialized dedicated training in a style so much as a set of special learning and maneuvers.  And then there's the native American wrestling and fighting techniques which were pretty advanced and impressive. 

Boxing is already in the book, so I won't post that, but its the first one.  It was pretty popular back in the day.

So I tried to build a sort of Jailhouse Rock informal combat based on those barroom brawl scenes: some people just seem really good at it

spacer.png

Then there's the Native American one.  I used the name of a now-formalized official Martial Art created recently based on these kind of moves

spacer.png

And finally there's a trick shooting one, because with all the guns and experts it kinda makes sense.

spacer.png

On August 9, 2019 at 7:51 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

OK this is what I came up with based on people's ideas of talents for the Wild West.  Not 100% on the names though

Desert Born: Life Support vs Heat Extremes (2 Active Points) 2 pts

Fast Track (tracking takes less time):  Naked Advantage  Reduced Time By One Step (+1/4) for up to 23 Active Points (6 Active Points) 6 pts

Horse Bond (super communication with horse):  Mind Link , One Specific Mind (5 Active Points); Limited Range 4m (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Animal Handler roll to establish, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) 3 pts

Reloader (load weapons one step down time chart faster):  Naked Advantage: Reduced Time By One Step (+1/4) for up to 62 Active Points (15 Active Points) 15 pts

Saddle Grip (can do acrobatic tricks and are hard to throw):  Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Only while mounted (-1), Requires A Roll (Riding roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) 5 pts

Trick Shot (do an impressive shot to gain presence for attack): +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Attack roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; Must be made each Phase/use; -3/4), OIF (Firearm; -1/2), Only for offense (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) 3 pts

Vault (jump safely to targets):  Leaping 0m (4m forward, 2m upward) (Accurate) 5 pts

I see "Bar Slide" as being a combat maneuver for a Barroom Brawling Martial Art more than a talent.

Uh, have I mentioned just how stolen these are?

Just wondering....

Anyway, if you see them missing, well....

They were stolen.   :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK now this hasn't just been an exercise in theory or discussion, I have actually been working on this for a while with a thought toward publication, and Jason has given me the GO sign to put this thing out, as part of hero's Community Content Project.  If there's enough interest and excitement, maybe some additional modules and content can be released as well.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on the rewrite.  The nice part about this project is that there's so much non copyrighted ink art out there from artists such as Frederick Remington that I don't have to do a bunch of illustration work myself, which makes things considerably faster.  I'm not sure about the cover yet, but I have some ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

lots of adventure ideas, scenarios, longer adventure prompts, and at least two full adventures to help GMs get started.  There are a bunch of little prompts like this:

Run on the bank. A rumor has spread that a notorious band of outlaws is going to rob the local bank, and everyone is trying to pull their money out before the bank folds.  The Banker is giving none up, having closed shop.

What the Banker knows and nobody else does, is that there’s not actually enough money in the bank to cover everyone, but that more is on the way,  The problem is, its coming in a new super secure safe pulled by a team of eight horses across country and through the local canyon.  Do the robbers know this?

GMs should be get up and rolling right away with campaigns.

• 3 weeks later...