Apartment/House/Condo Bases

greysword

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of lost trying to figure out the size of a normal apartment, condo, or house.

I'm curious what the size would be for a 350 sq ft 1BR apartment might be, an 800 sq ft 2BR apartment or house, a 1,500 three BR apartment, 2,000 sq ft 3BR house, and maybe a 3,000-3,500 4 BR apartment or 3 BR house.

Also, what Powers, Talents, Skills do you add?  The Ultimate Base is not so good at the basics.

Thanks!

I just wanted to pay for an apartment with points.  I like to know my character owns it, instead of just hand waving the acquisition.  It makes the role playing more fun, plus it helps with the law of Champions that anything paid for with points can not be actually lost, just temporarily inaccessible. 

Some players like the Wealth perk for this, but for me having a nice home to go to after a traumatic day of heroism is cathartic and ensures the PC will never be homeless, no matter how bad it gets.  In addition, adding the "Deep Cover" talent ensures the nosy Mrs. Kravitz keeps to herself : )

One of the best bits I ever kept jotted in a notebook back when I had time to make maps is this simple bit here:

1000 square feet = 93 square meters.  It's not _exactly_ right, but its far closer than will ever need scrutinizing.

If you're using 6e, then you're looking at 1000 ft sq = 93 hexes.  If you want to get really titchy, call your kitchen a "lab."

I guess I don't get to the city very often.  The very idea of a 350 sq ft house is appalling to me; I'm typing this from my desk in the corner of the  484 ft sq spare _bedroom_.....

21 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

One of the best bits I ever kept jotted in a notebook back when I had time to make maps is this simple bit here:

1000 square feet = 93 square meters.  It's not _exactly_ right, but its far closer than will ever need scrutinizing.

If you're using 6e, then you're looking at 1000 ft sq = 93 hexes.  If you want to get really titchy, call your kitchen a "lab."

Excellent, so just convert square foot to square meters and go with it?  Thus, a 2,000 sq ft house would be about a size 4 base, and a 3,000 sq ft house would be about a size 5 base.

Oh, and some people would call the kitchen a lab, LOL.  As for adders, I would assume a security system in a high end condo, contacts that could notify the police if someone unusual came around, or better locks would be equivalent powers, perks, and talents.  Any other suggestions?

21 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I guess I don't get to the city very often.  The very idea of a 350 sq ft house is appalling to me; I'm typing this from my desk in the corner of the  484 ft sq spare _bedroom_.....

I was thinking about a small place like that could simulate a college student's flat or a safe house somewhere in the city.

Thanks for the answer!

Apartment size varies based on location.  350 sq feet is about right (or luxurious) in highly crowded cities like London, Manhattan, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc.  1 square meter is about 10.8 square feet or 1" hex (2m) =~ 43 sq. feet.  In this case, Google is your friend.

To find apartment costs or housing costs, you can do a google search on apartments for rent.  For example, using https://www.apartments.com/san-francisco-ca/student-housing/ we can find "student" apartments in San Francisco, their sq. footage and costs (though how a starving college student can live in one of those apartments without sharing something like 4 to a room is beyond me).  I took a random example is from Avalon at Mission Bay apartments which is a studio 1 bedroom apartment 508^2 ft for (GACK!!!) $3490 per month.

To convert square feet to hexes, we can use google to find "sq ft to sq meters".  So a 500^2 ft studio apartment is 46^2 m or (dividing m^2 by 4 for the standard 2m game hex) about 11".  That's about a size 1 on the base size characteristic.  Your base apartment doesn't need to pay for anything normal (bathroom, kitchen, etc) unless its special in some way (a gourmet kitchen might be considered a PS:Cooking lab for instance).

On 8/4/2019 at 11:41 PM, greysword said:

Oh, and some people would call the kitchen a lab, LOL.  As for adders, I would assume a security system in a high end condo, contacts that could notify the police if someone unusual came around, or better locks would be equivalent powers, perks, and talents.  Any other suggestions?

Watch Mr and Mrs Smith for some ideas on weapon storage (gobs of concealment, perhaps?). Could also have a garage for whatever your default transport is. Could have video surveillance or an alarm system.

- E