Old Hero System books.

Herolover

I have been going over my rather larger HERO system collection and looking at the books that I have yet to pick up and I was wondering a couple of things.

1) Is anyone else collecting everything HERO?

2) I notice a couple of the books I am lacking are actually dual products put out by ICE. They apparently have stats for rolemaster and for Fantasy Hero. Specifically I am missing the Mythic age books such as Mythic Egypt, Mythic Greece, etc. I am wondering if anyone has these what they think of them. Are they worth picking up? How hard or easy would it be to convert them to 5e?

3) There are a lot of ICE "Shadow World" products. Are they worth the time and effort picking up?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Re: Old Hero System books.

Well lets see.

Question #1 - Not really for the older stuff, but for the newer 5th edition stuff, its about at 95%, (I didn't pick up Ninja Hero). I expect that I'll be getting about the same in the coming year or two. I do have a small collection of older stuff as well.

Question #2 - I know what you are talking about, but I never had much use for them personally, so I really can't tell you about thier usefulness.

Question #3 - I picked up a lot of shadow world stuff in the past. The hardest thing about SW stuff is that the scale of that a book covered was not the same. One might cover a large area, another a city, and yet another area the size of Maine. They also failed to cover say an entire landmass before jumping into smaller areas. There were some good ideas here and there. It is my understanding that newer versions of SW material will be released from ICE. Of course we will see if this pans out, they are having a really hard time keeping on schedule. I'm loathe to admit it, but they may need another bankruptcy to get them truly back on track.

Well

I do have a few books her and there. I have all the rulebooks and genre books that Hero put out, Justice Inc, Cyber Hero, DI ect. I think the thing I like the best is that I still have the complete Adventurer's Run.

I realize there are other with it as well but it seems not to many do. They seem to disappear to easily :)

Originally posted by Herolover

I have everything ever published by Hero Games. I also have quite a few products put out by other publishers for the HERO System as well. I am an avid collector. :)

2) I notice a couple of the books I am lacking are actually dual products put out by ICE. They apparently have stats for rolemaster and for Fantasy Hero. Specifically I am missing the Mythic age books such as Mythic Egypt, Mythic Greece, etc. I am wondering if anyone has these what they think of them. Are they worth picking up? How hard or easy would it be to convert them to 5e?

I am not big into the fantasy genre so I have not read most of these books that carefully. I happen to like Mythic Greece the best (written by Aaron Allston), but only because it seems as though that book was written for Hero and then convered to Rolemaster. All the other books seem to be written for Rolemaster and then converted to Hero.

3) There are a lot of ICE "Shadow World" products. Are they worth the time and effort picking up?

These I do not have, for the reason mentioned above, so I cannot really comment. :)

Yes. I have all the Adventurer's Club issues, the majority of all older Hero Games. Um, I don't have the old Robot Wars... I take that back, I do. I don't have that one module 'Wings over something or another' (?) that got pulled off the shelves but otherwise, I think I have it all and most likely, use it all one way or another.

Sorry, haven't looked at those by ICE so I'll include those I don't have in the above.

Same as above and I don't know. Sorry.

Yep. I have everything listed on my All Hero Books web page linked below.

They're worth picking up, especially Mythic Greece and Mythic Egypt. It wouldn't be any harder to convert them to 5th than it is any other 3rd-4th Edition stuff. But they're useful more as sources of non-game-specific material than as out-of-the-box Hero material.

There are a lot of ICE "Shadow World" products. Are they worth the time and effort picking up?
They're interesting. If you want to play in (or just read) an unusual fantasy setting, they're worth a look. If you want Fantasy Hero info in them, though, make sure to get the older, outof print, copies. The newer ones (everything after the Emer boxed set) don't have Fantasy Hero info anymore. Also, the FH info in them is sometimes a bit sketchy. It really depends on the book.

Re: Re: Old Hero System books.

Originally posted by Tech

I don't have that one module 'Wings over something or another' (?) that got pulled off the shelves

Wings of the Valkyrie was pulled from the shelves right after its release due to controversial subject matter. (The heroes were faced with a situation wherein they had to decide whether to allow Hitler to live (and therefore bring about the Holocaust) in order to prevent an even worse future.)

Re: Re: Old Hero System books.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

If you want to play in (or just read) an unusual fantasy setting, they're worth a look. If you want Fantasy Hero info in them, though, make sure to get the older, outof print, copies. The newer ones (everything after the Emer boxed set) don't have Fantasy Hero info anymore. Also, the FH info in them is sometimes a bit sketchy. It really depends on the book.

Be careful, though. I bought a used copy; the box said something to the effect of "for use with Rolemaster and Fantasy HERO", but they had a copy of the second edition book inside! No HERO stats!

Re: Re: Re: Old Hero System books.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Wings of the Valkyrie was pulled from the shelves right after its release due to controversial subject matter. (The heroes were faced with a situation wherein they had to decide whether to allow Hitler to live (and therefore bring about the Holocaust) in order to prevent an even worse future.)

I was able to actually get a copy. The big controversy was the timeline set up to get the heroes willing to go save hitler's life. The world turned out worse than it was and several people took offense to this idea.

I have been going over my rather larger HERO system collection and looking at the books that I have yet to pick up and I was wondering a couple of things.

/B]

Yep me too!!!! missing only 7 books from the web page that lists every product made for hero rules.. i got the superworld stuff with hero conversion etc. An di jsut got my oringal espionage box also steve! haha

Wings i have which is actually cool

/B]

the only ones i dont have are mythic greece and mythic egypt. So dunno. i jsut get them to have them .. i dont think i wil ever be abel to sue them

/B]

I have the box set and all but 3 of the expansions for it that have hero rules in them. Really cool stuff. most of it is jsut reading and supplemental information for a world setting. interesting world too. i woudl get one and see if you liek the world before splurging

Adventurers club does only have 27 issues

http://rhinobunny.com/derek/champions/herogameslist.html

thats the site i was talking about

I use to have just about everything. moving and a split lost several. Still manage to have quite a bit including the first enimies book. Kind of funny to look at it then pull out the revised or classic enemies and compare the two. Haven't compared CKC to the first one. That should be a hoot

Shadow World

I have a good 90% of the Shadow World products that were published by ICE. Over all they were pretty good. The biggest problem I had with them was the bad editing. Names or ideas of people or places often changed (slightly) from publication to publication. Sometimes within the same product. But it wasn't anything that couldn't be sifted through. On the whole, I like Shadow World and I ran a very successful and lengthy Rolemaster campaign with it.

Without stepping over and checking each book, I seem to recall that most, if not all of them, were dual-stat Rolemaster/Fantasy Hero.

Hypothetically, I could e-mail a list of what I have and their conditions, and one could, in theory, e-mail an offer. :)

Rich

If you have the second edition of Fantasy HERO (the one for 4E rules), the back of the book has an assessment of the quality of HERO System stats and writeups in each of the dual-statted Shadow World books. It's a good guide for what a HERO gamer would find most useful.

My personal recommendation would be Jaiman, Land of Twilight, and the boxed set Emer, the Great Continent. Both of these are fairly extensive and detailed settings, and the HERO writeups for heroes, monsters and even gods are thorough and of good quality.

Of the Rolemaster/FH "Campaign Classics", I've seen Mythic Greece, Mythic Egypt and Vikings. All are IMO of high quality, and give a lot of both generic and system-specific info for running a campaign in the appropriate setting: cultural background, maps, character guidelines, creatures, magic spells, and gods. Mythic Greece has the most extensive world setting, with at least some detail about many areas of the world as known (or imagined) by the bronze-age Greeks. The system writeups are for first-edition FH using the pre-BBB rules, but Aaron Allston has updated much of that material to 4E on his website, which you can reach via the "HERO Links" at the top of this page and clicking on "Other Links". The other two books are fully 4E-compatible.

I'm afraid I have no first-hand familiarity with the other Campaign Classics, Pirates and Robin Hood.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I'm afraid I have no first-hand familiarity with the other Campaign Classics, Pirates and Robin Hood.

They're also of high quality, IMO. Both contain a wealth of material for gaming in the setting they set out to describe, and both contain Fantasy Hero material for everything. The Campaign Classics books are much better in that regard (or at least much more consistent) than the Shadow World books are.

As a side note, I believe that Kevin Scrivner, who posts hereabouts, had a hand in the writing of Pirates...

I think I have about 90% of everything.

I had first edition rules, but those were lot in a trade.

I do have Mythic Greece, but not Egypt.

I keep my eye out for older stuff, but I wont go crazy to pay lots of money for it.

I do plan to collect everything Hero puts out. but as the books continue to come out more often, I suspect, I ll miss a few.

Steve and Darren should be happy that they are getting 70 percent of my entertainment dollar.