Were any 4E PDFs produced?

randian

Adobe introduced the PDF in 1993, which was after the release of the BBB. I remember hearing that The Ultimate Super-Mage (for 4e) might have been released in an electronic format, but I don't know if it was PDF or something else.

Yes, but 5E wasn't released until 2002 or thereabouts, some 15 years after the release of 4E. Plenty of time to release the BBB, Ninja Hero, Fantasy Hero, or others in PDF if they wanted to.

You can also add 4E Ultimate Martial Artist and Ultimate Mentalist, and The Super Mage Bestiary (a companion to Ultimate Super Mage), to the list of PDFs. I have all four of those titles on a CD named The Ultimate Ultimate Collection, released during the Cybergames ownership of Hero Games.

The 4th Edition PDF was sold by Hero Games shortly before the 5th Edition was released. It has not been available in years though.

Hero Games under DOJ also started selling the 4E Fantasy Hero genre book in PDF format from the website store shortly after buying the company. They removed it from sale after the 5E FH became available.

I have the following 4e books released as PDF:

Hero System 4 Rulebook

Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero Companion

Hero System Bestiary

Ultimate Martial Artist

Ultimate Super Mage

Ultimate Mentalist

Broken Kingdoms

A few of these came on zipped floppy disks (Broken Kingdoms spanned two floppy discs), in a "Hero Plus" package.

post-446-0-26688600-1407116480_thumb.jpg

BTW the PRIMUS PDF source book is still available for purchase from the Hero Games website store, very cheap: http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/371-primus-pdf/

It's a little dated now (written 1999), and has a bit of an Iron Age style to it; but IMO it's a quality book which would add a lot to use of PRIMUS in a Champions campaign.

You can also find another inexpensive 4E PDF book, New Bedlam Asylum, Chris Avellone's brilliantly disturbing supplement for Dark Champions: http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/360-new-bedlam-asylum-pfd/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

But do you still have a 3.5" floppy drive to use it in?

I'd have thrown the floppy disk out a long time ago, a floppy disk that old is highly likely not to work. I don't know anybody who has one of those drives either. I'd hope he's long since copied the pdf to modern storage.

I'd have thrown the floppy disk out a long time ago, a floppy disk that old is highly likely not to work. I don't know anybody who has one of those drives either. I'd hope he's long since copied the pdf to modern storage.

I have the PDF, as well as the original documents, since I wrote Kazei 5.

How easy would it be to take the 6E stuff back to 5E?

Also, would you mind posting a teaser page or two of the PDF (in downloads) - I'd like to see how the cybernetics are being built. 

Another thought, perhaps posting a character or two in the downloads (for HD) could be a way to showcase the sort of overall stereotypical characters you'd expect for the genre book.

How easy would it be to take the 6E stuff back to 5E?

Also, would you mind posting a teaser page or two of the PDF (in downloads) - I'd like to see how the cybernetics are being built. 

Another thought, perhaps posting a character or two in the downloads (for HD) could be a way to showcase the sort of overall stereotypical characters you'd expect for the genre book.

Very easy. Just halve all meters to get inches. Also, Barrier = Force Wall and Resistant Protect = either Force Field or Armor. That's the toughest part. Most everything else translates over fairly well. As for posting PDFs and Characters... I'd prefer not to, as that's starting to infringe on on-line sales. I'd need to talk to Jason Walters first. That said, I could post some material here, if you want.

As for cyber, basic cyberware requires a blanket Limitation of "Cybersystem" (-1/4), which covers an assortment of issues (much like "Spell" does in Fantasy Hero). I also talk about cyber breaking, how it can affect a person, and how it can be hacked. With regards to characters, there are like 40 in the book, so you should get a good idea of what the campaign power levels are. IIRC, the characters range from around 200 to 995 points.