A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

5 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@tkdguy, have you watched any Me,Myself and Die? Its a solo game YouTube channel. He uses the Mythic GM Emulator which I have but haven’t used yet.

I've seen a few of his videos. I don't often watch gameplay unless I want to see how the system works (TTRPG) or I'm stuck on a particular quest (MMO). I do make the odd exception, though. I've heard of Mythic GM Emulator, but I don't think I need it. I have done a lot of solo play before without it.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:27 AM, tkdguy said:

That's basically my approach. I also tend to apply my paints a little thicker than most painters do, but not to the extent that it covers up any details.

I'd love to try out the new Army Painter Speedpaints. I can't afford them right now, but I'll try to save up for them, and for miniatures to try them on. While I'm ranting about painting miniatures, here are some thoughts about the speedpaints. I've seen videos about them, but none of them have answered these questions about this line.

1. What kind of secondary colors will you get by mixing two primary colors?

2. What kind of neutral tone will you get by mixing three primary colors?

I have yet to see a video that does that. I will definitely experiment once I get my hands on those paints.

I finally ordered those speed paints from Amazon. Of course, I had to buy a few miniatures to test them on.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:17 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

Cool! Make sure you Base coat! 😁

I will definitely base coat. I plan to wait a few days before trying out the paints, since the weather isn't so good, and I'm still waiting for one more miniature to arrive. I'm also waiting until one of my friends is free to join in, since he's also curious about trying the paints.

In the meantime, I'm coming up with a series of tests for the paints. Let me know if you think of anything to add. And I have to prepare my miniatures for painting anyway.

EDIT: I added one more entry to the mixing paints section, which is mixing primary and secondary colors to get tertiary colors.

Testing Army Painter Speed Paints.txt

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

While I appreciate some of the streamlining in 5e, I'm just not enjoying it over 3.5e.

How do the folks in your group like 3.5e? Maybe they'd be willing to play it once in a while. You may have to be the GM though.

I'm stuck in the GM role, and my friends rarely play nowadays, so I have the luxury of running what I want to run. I run AD&D 2e and earlier games because I know the systems and prefer them to d20. I also run other systems as well. Most of my games nowadays are one-shots, so it doesn't really matter.

If I want to play 3.5e, I'm better off doing it on PBP forums.  Even if I offered to GM, the face to face table wouldn't go for 3.5e.

(Mind you, my Wednesday group isn't for D&D period -- right now, it's classic Deadlands.  And beginning of next year, hubby wants to GM 1st ed 7th Sea w/me as co-GM for this group.  The Friday group is 5e or nuthin')

So true. I prefer to be easy-going as a GM, although I need to take a hardline stance with some toxic players.

10 hours ago, Cygnia said:

If I want to play 3.5e, I'm better off doing it on PBP forums.  Even if I offered to GM, the face to face table wouldn't go for 3.5e.

(Mind you, my Wednesday group isn't for D&D period -- right now, it's classic Deadlands.  And beginning of next year, hubby wants to GM 1st ed 7th Sea w/me as co-GM for this group.  The Friday group is 5e or nuthin')

Have you tried Discord? I play in a couple of games there on different channels. You may find a group that plays 3.5e.

Does anyone else remember these? I was once on a forum that included Joe Dever, author of the Lone Wolf books. I didn't interact with him much, but he always struck me as a really nice guy.