A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

I am tired of, and done with Star Wars, at least the way Disney does it.  Much as watching people make D&D conversions for Fantasy hero, just annoys the hell out of me, I am also annoyed by putting a Star Wars skin on what ever rule system is currently popular. It’s like Star Wars has become the 5eD&D of Science Fiction. I would like to play or run a more scientifically respectful SF game, or even Classic Traveller. ( Or Traveller Hero), but I am sick of Space Wizards, and Mary Sue self inserts.  

5 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I am tired of, and done with Star Wars, at least the way Disney does it.  Much as watching people make D&D conversions for Fantasy hero, just annoys the hell out of me, I am also annoyed by putting a Star Wars skin on what ever rule system is currently popular. It’s like Star Wars has become the 5eD&D of Science Fiction. I would like to play or run a more scientifically respectful SF game, or even Classic Traveller. ( Or Traveller Hero), but I am sick of Space Wizards, and Mary Sue self inserts.  

So I want to play a Zhodanni PK expert who uses his powers to focus a plasma cutter into a blade...hey! what did I say?

20 hours ago, pinecone said:

So I want to play a Zhodanni PK expert who uses his powers to focus a plasma cutter into a blade...hey! what did I say?

Okay, more seriously, it would work.  Just don’t blosr concentration when you are in a vacuum or a zero G environment.  At least you can wear proper clothes and a stylish turban, and not be upstaged by a screenwriter’s self insert who is more competent than you as a blow against the patriarchy.  

15 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Okay, more seriously, it would work.  Just don’t blosr concentration when you are in a vacuum or a zero G environment.  At least you can wear proper clothes and a stylish turban, and not be upstaged by a screenwriter’s self insert who is more competent than you as a blow against the patriarchy.  

Capt Nemo from league of extra ordinary gentlemen, but with some sci fi swagger...

12 hours ago, pinecone said:

Capt Nemo from league of extra ordinary gentlemen, but with some sci fi swagger...

That would work well.  Captain Nemo was a very specific sort of Pirate, preying mostly on shipping, and countries involved in the slave trade. If the game was set in a non-aligned sector, you could pick your targets, and have a place to retreat to, as long as you maintained a "good neighbor" policy. Nemo was a Charismatic leader. Yes the Zhodani have a thing about psychics, but if you are using most of your power on the plasma cutter held to the edge of your blade, then you would have to rely on good ol' Human factors, such as courtesy and respect, to engender that level of loyalty Nemo had with his crew.  Also picking the crew, one would have to find ideological  compatible crew, to maintain that edge of training and competence, when you may have few targets, or withdraw to a prudent level of distance or hiding when your ship kicks over the proverbial hornet's nest.  Sounds like a game to me. Now conversely, this all works, in Traveller, if he's a Scion of the Consulate, moving forward to free appressed psychics within the Empire, leading his band of Black armored Space Marines in a war of liberation.  Sounds like a game, there in both cases.

22 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

That would work well.  Captain Nemo was a very specific sort of Pirate, preying mostly on shipping, and countries involved in the slave trade. If the game was set in a non-aligned sector, you could pick your targets, and have a place to retreat to, as long as you maintained a "good neighbor" policy. Nemo was a Charismatic leader. Yes the Zhodani have a thing about psychics, but if you are using most of your power on the plasma cutter held to the edge of your blade, then you would have to rely on good ol' Human factors, such as courtesy and respect, to engender that level of loyalty Nemo had with his crew.  Also picking the crew, one would have to find ideological  compatible crew, to maintain that edge of training and competence, when you may have few targets, or withdraw to a prudent level of distance or hiding when your ship kicks over the proverbial hornet's nest.  Sounds like a game to me. Now conversely, this all works, in Traveller, if he's a Scion of the Consulate, moving forward to free appressed psychics within the Empire, leading his band of Black armored Space Marines in a war of liberation.  Sounds like a game, there in both cases.

Sounds like you have a NPC for your Traveller game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...