A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

So went with a friend out after lunch to find the FLGS. I had not been since before the lockdowns, and also heard it had closed.  Driving around we found where it was.  The Shop on Mendocino Ave was gone.  Cleaned up and empty.  Ah well …

So I checked my phone, and found a Yelp review that mentioned the store had moved! They were now south of the Mall on Cleveland Ave. it wasn’t too far, so we drove over.  They had a tiny sign board we almost missed.  Do we pulled into the parking lot.  It was full… on a Sunday. We eventually found a spot and walked in.  

the space had been a music store that had sold pianos and other instruments as well as LPs,  since the 1980s. But now, it was packed with customers, gamers. It was remarkable how well the old store,s philosophy fit into the space. The lower level was divided into various merchandise. With collectibles and expensive items in the glass cases, or the wall behind them. The south half of the first floor was comics and graphic novels, with a few tables of back issues in long boxes. Then in the middle was a stair case to the upper level. The north half of the store had a bookcase of fresh 5e, and Pathfinder books, with several Starfinfer hardbacks, and also several books for. Genesis, which looked like another class based SF game with painted Cyberpunk imagery.  Other RPG books were shelved in that case, like Savage Worlds, so this was more material than I had seen in the wild since I had been in The Last Grenadier in Burbank about 10 years ago. The back wall had tall shelves of boardgames… dozens, if not hundreds of boardgames.  Flanking the stairs were three tables of dice. Mostly 20 spiders, but they had nice set in the glass cases up front. 

the upper levels that had once been where the instruments had been displayed, was now lined with crowded tables of gamers. We did not go up the stairs, but we asked about it. The staff helpfully explained that the tables were for card games and wargaming, but they had sound proofed practice rooms that they would rent out to RPG groups, so they could make ad much noise as they wanted. They used an app called Warhorn to organize The games, and mentioned they were looking for GMs. (Hinted towards 5e, possibly Adventure League ), but mentioned that one of their staff ran Pathfinder. 

The place was well vacuumed and neat, the noise level was moderately low, and it was organized. The both of us were quite impressed.  We didn’t buy anything, but we felt the strong pull of the tables upstairs after years of online gaming. The number of people at the tables, and browsing the merchandise made the hobby look much healthier than I had expected.  

So I was impressed with Outer Planes Comics and Games new location and they seem to be doing most things right.  D&D Tuesday nights from 5:30 to 11:30, but if there is an open table or room on other nights..,.  Now if only I owned a car.