Mandela Effects! Aretha Franklin gone too soon, again!

BoneDaddy

Yahoo News freaked me out a bit this morning, re-publishing Aretha Franklin’s obituary. 

it freaked me out a bit because I clearly remember that Clint Eastwood died shortly after finishing The Mule. I recall the news reports, the obits, a brief blurb on NPR about the funeral. I don’t know what to think about it, aside from the fact that I was clearly mistaken as far as what we call objective reality is concerned. 

do any of you remember a woman briefly playing for the Toronto Bluejays back in the ‘80s? For like half a season? Newsweek wrote an article about her?  She chewed tobacco somewhat messily, cursed a bit during interviews, and frankly wasn’t a very good fielder, but it was the ‘80s and Toronto wasn’t exactly on fire back then.  I can’t find any evidence now on the internet that this actually happened, but damn I remember it pretty well. 

do any of you have anything like this? Not part of a mass mis-remembrance of history, but some historical event you remember that doesn’t seem to have actually happened?

Something I saw which I have not seen since. Jaws 2. The woman with Brody's son does a somersault off the upturned yacht into the mouth of the shark which is basically hydroplaning from about 20 feet at least from the yachts. Never seen it again. There is a more poignant death scene in the version you see on TV. I believe what I saw was a different cut for European or a British audience.

The BBC did repeat Ali's obituary and I posted a thread here before realising that it had happened a couple of years before and I was able to get the Admins to remove for me. 

For years back in the early 90s I had thought Burgess Meredith long dead, recalled hearing announcements and memorials to that effect and such. Then saw some entertainment program with recent footage of him walking on the street, around the time Grumpier Old Men hit theaters. It was quite the shock, my very own Snake Plissken moment..

I have a memory of the Shazaam! movie with Sinbad, but not the same one other people do. I remember hearing a vague bit about it being in development, but nothing further. I assumed it had been cancelled or had gone straight to video without me hearing any more of it. (I'm not a fan of the comedian.) I was surprised to find out that even that fragmentary memory was imaginary.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:09 AM, BoneDaddy said:

Yahoo News freaked me out a bit this morning, re-publishing Aretha Franklin’s obituary. 

it freaked me out a bit because I clearly remember that Clint Eastwood died shortly after finishing The Mule. I recall the news reports, the obits, a brief blurb on NPR about the funeral. I don’t know what to think about it, aside from the fact that I was clearly mistaken as far as what we call objective reality is concerned. 

do any of you remember a woman briefly playing for the Toronto Bluejays back in the ‘80s? For like half a season? Newsweek wrote an article about her?  She chewed tobacco somewhat messily, cursed a bit during interviews, and frankly wasn’t a very good fielder, but it was the ‘80s and Toronto wasn’t exactly on fire back then.  I can’t find any evidence now on the internet that this actually happened, but damn I remember it pretty well. 

do any of you have anything like this? Not part of a mass mis-remembrance of history, but some historical event you remember that doesn’t seem to have actually happened?

Danny Ainge played for the Blue Jay's back then.

54 minutes ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

I have a memory of the Shazaam! movie with Sinbad, but not the same one other people do. I remember hearing a vague bit about it being in development, but nothing further. I assumed it had been cancelled or had gone straight to video without me hearing any more of it. (I'm not a fan of the comedian.) I was surprised to find out that even that fragmentary memory was imaginary.

I remember hearing about a Highlander sequel. Pretty sure that didnt happen.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, BoneDaddy said:

I've had a couple of them over the last 25 years which I've posted about on another forum. But for the life of me, I can't remember one of the events. I remember posting about it but not what happened (effects of old age).

I'm tempted to try to go back and find those posts but visiting that website again would probably put me on some FBI watchlist.

The other event during in my college statistics class. 

Buckle up, folks.

We had just taken some big test and the professor was going on to teach about something else. It was a really small class and he encouraged us to interrupt with questions.

He got about 10 minutes into the new material and he's writing a whole bunch of really cryptic things on the blackboard which wasn't the new stuff that he was introducing. He was using all of this as the jumping off point for the new stuff.

I raised my hand and in a very polite way asked him essentially "What the hell is that? I've never seen any of that before." 

He replied that it was the stuff we had covered in the previous six weeks. In response to the expression on my face, he prompted, "You know, the stuff that was just on the test that you aced."

He indicated that he'd been planning on giving out the graded exams at the end of class but because I was obviously very confused, he handed them back right then.

So a few moments later, I'm sitting there with my exam in my hand. In my own handwriting is page after page of me using this cryptic stats stuff, which I had never seen before, and getting a 100% score on the test.

I indicated to the teacher that I was still confused but let him proceed with the class.

never at any point after that recalled the statistics content of what happened during that six weeks in class nor did I at any point recall how to use any of that cryptic stats stuff that he'd been putting on the blackboard (which made it very difficult to pass the class). 

I didn't drink at all. I didn't use drugs at all (not even aspirin, caffeine, or antihistamines, legacy of a misspent childhood). I'd had a concussion once about seven years earlier but had not suffered any noticeable problems from it.

That event is, and has always been, very freaky.

If I'd been an adult rather than a dumb kid, I would have taken myself straight to a hospital to see if they could have figured out what was going on. But I wasn't really raised in a manner in which "going to the doctor" would be one of the top ten things which would occur to you when something strange happened.

When I started having memory problems roughly 18 years later, I thought perhaps that was a "first episode" kind of thing. But that's a really long time between the first time of having a really, really severe problem then some (comparatively) mild problems years later.

Mandela Effect is as good of an explanation as any.

Archer -- maybe Dr. Sam Beckett leaped into your life to put something right that once went wrong, and he aced your stats test for you.  That would explain the Swiss-cheesed memory.

I remember back in junior high, I had to write a research paper (my topic was on the Monitor and the Merrimack).  Afterward, I vividly recalled that the only thing the teacher noted as wrong was that I had messed up while citing my sources.  However, no matter where I looked I couldn't find the paper.  After a few days, I asked the teacher if I had left it in class and he said that he had just finished grading the papers but hadn't passed them back yet.  And lo and behold, the only thing he noted wrong in my paper was that I messed up my sources.  Yeah, it was probably just my subconscious mind realizing what I had screwed up and revealed it in a dream, but it was so dang real that it freaked me out.

32 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Archer -- maybe Dr. Sam Beckett leaped into your life to put something right that once went wrong, and he aced your stats test for you.  That would explain the Swiss-cheesed memory.

Considering I'd aced my tests prior to that, I wouldn't put money on the Dr. Beckett theory. :D