Paranoid Hero Files

JmOz

We know the guy, keeps files on all his villains, and his friends, and the guy he saw on the street last Tuesday.  Has plans to take each one down, etc...Joins/founds a team of heroes so they have someone who can take them down (because one hero is not enough)...

Trying to figure out what would be in the files, 

Known strengths (ie: Powers and skills.) 

Known weaknesses. Eg: actual Vulnerabilities and Susceptibilities but also psych lims. that can be exploited, such as habits, obsessions, other patterns of behaviour. Basically - Complications. I'd hope that, as a hero, they wouldn't exploit DNPCs but I guess some versions of Batman would.

Known associates. It's much easier to find someone if you know where to look. Also you may overhear confidences shared if you are surveilling (not a real word) them. 

Then there's the actual plans. The hero will list ways in which to leverage the weaknesses and negate the strengths.

Then add some creepy stalker pics that Batman, er I mean Plan Guy, has taken of the hero at private times.

Known hangouts whether a favorite church, bar, or his Tuesday night bowling league.

Known organizations: Masons, Lions Club, Elks, KKK, whatever.

Place of residence. Known paths of travel if the person is foolish enough to be repetitive in his habits.

Whether the person has tradecraft: does he know how to spot a tail, does he know how to lose a tail, does he use dead drops, etc.

Any special skills: computers, forgery, martial arts, driving, piloting, etc.

Known vehicles (personal sedan, wife's minivan, large truck from his day job, the boss's M1-Abrams tank from his night job, etc.) 

Any Area Knowledge he's known to have so you can stop him from getting to a place where he might find an advantage or know where he might go if he's on the run. (Hometown, college town, vacation spots, places his parents took him when he was a kid.)

Anyone known to owe him favors. DNPC's.

Things you'd find from a background search: military/national guard, college, debt/loans, marriage, divorces, police record, security clearance, immigration status.

Things you might find from breaking into his house and snooping around. Fancy cooking stuff might indicate he's a gourmet. Music collection. Cutting edge computer stuff vs old crap. Browser history. Passwords if he's dumb enough to write them down and leave them beside the computer. Treadmill, weights, or other exercise equipment. Trophies. Books indicating his interests. Medications. Home office or not. Slob or not.

1 hour ago, drunkonduty said:

surveilling (not a real word)

The word actually is surveying, but since we tend to associate that specifically with assigning artificial boundaries to parcels of land, we as a culture invent all kinds of "sort of words" for it instead.  "Surveilling" is surprisingly common in usage.

And it's _much_ more legitimized (if only through constant repetition) than "survizal."  

Yeah; there's a story there, but it's not much good if you don't know the guy.   :lol:

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Known weaknesses. Eg: actual Vulnerabilities and Susceptibilities but also psych lims. that can be exploited, such as habits, obsessions, other patterns of behaviour. Basically - Complications. I'd hope that, as a hero, they wouldn't exploit DNPCs but I guess some versions of Batman would.

The flip side is that if a villain is manipulating the hero by threatening his DNPC, then protecting the DNPC is the easiest way to end the manipulation.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, JmOz said:

You know that a couple wheel chair bound "heroes" did this as well...

I did not. So... Professor X?

Another thought for things to include in the files: Oddly personal comments. 

eg: "Wears too much antiperspirant."

"Fond of classical music. Why?"

"Eats a lot of donuts."

"Did they know what they wanted when they got that haircut?"

11 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

I did not. So... Professor X?

Another thought for things to include in the files: Oddly personal comments. 

eg: "Wears too much antiperspirant."

"Fond of classical music. Why?"

"Eats a lot of donuts."

"Did they know what they wanted when they got that haircut?"

Professor Xavier and Charles Niles (The Chief from Doom Patrol)...I would not be surprised if Oracle had some to, but don't know of any story where she used the info...