RIP: Hammerin' Hank Aaron, died at 86

Well only 1 or 2 unanimous right? So, somebody, somewhere will be petty.

Interesting when he was the oldest still playing, he was teamates with the youngest, Robin Yount.

Just now, Badger said:

Well only 1 or 2 unanimous right? So, somebody, somewhere will be petty.

Interesting when he was the oldest still playing, he was teamates with the youngest, Robin Yount.

Oh and i should mention when Aaron debuted, yount had yet to be born.

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Neither was Mays.  Or Mantle.  Or anyone until Mariano.

That said, your sentiment's one I've heard on multiple occasions, from baseball people.

Yeah, I think it had something to do with Babe Ruth not being a unanimous first ballot so nobody should.  Which is just compounding a bad decision with another bad decision. 

Yeah I might've heard that too, I can't recall for sure.  

But that was also the first class, so all the early players were up, including Cy Young.  He didn't make it.  Then you've got regional bias...much stronger back then.  Are Boston voters gonna vote for Ruth?  HECK no.  So saying "no one can possibly be deserving" is just a joke because it was never about "deserving."

But the BBWAA has always had its share of egotistical <bleep>s.  Mariano had everything...numbers, titles, awards.  Sustained *excellence* for well over a decade.  The reference standard for relief pitchers, GOAT by acclamation.  And a nice guy!!!  Even if you hated what he did to your teams, you still had to admire how he did it.  THAT is what it took to get a unanimous choice.

And the impact of bias is still out there;  Jeter didn't get a unanimous vote, on a weak ballot.  The only other player voted in, was Larry Walker, and he barely made the threshold.  So you can't argue "there are 5 I considered more deserving"...it had to be "Derek Jeter isn't an HoF-level player" or spite.  Hey, I disliked Jeter, and particularly loathed New Yorkers' attitudes about him (a la Pats fans and Brady)...but the numbers and impact are there.