2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

So I just heard that the Raiders have asked New England permission to interview He Who Must Not Be Named for their head coaching job.

(For the unfamiliar, I'm talking about the guy who was fired after a year and a half as head coach in Denver and later took the head coaching job in Indianapolis, only to give it back a few days later.)

I'm not sure whether this matchup would be more dysfunctional than Raiders / Jon Gruden, or less.

38 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So I just heard that the Raiders have asked New England permission to interview He Who Must Not Be Named for their head coaching job.

(For the unfamiliar, I'm talking about the guy who was fired after a year and a half as head coach in Denver and later took the head coaching job in Indianapolis, only to give it back a few days later.)

I'm not sure whether this matchup would be more dysfunctional than Raiders / Jon Gruden, or less.

I heard that rumor.  It would be peak Raiders to hire a proven failure.  At least it will preserve the brand.

Fearless predictions for the weekend:

CIN @ KC: The Bungles experience a severe letdown after squeaking past the Tits.  But the Chefs also experience a letdown after squeaking past the Bills.  Burrow and Mahomes combine for 600 passing yards, twelve sacks, and four interceptions in a game of horrific football ultimately decided by the kickers.  CIN 18, KC 15.

SF @ LAR: The superior team hosts a visiting team that apparently carries kryptonite.  Crowd noise makes up for a quarterback who can't throw more than 20 yards.  SF 16, LAR 13.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm not about to bet the under when Mahomes and Hill are on the field.  Even if it is 54 1/2.

I could see the under with Rams-Niners.  Niners squished both Dallas and the Pack.  Rams have some pieces and make a fair number of negative plays happen;  they held Brady in check for much of that game.  But then...that ending..................  

So I don't trust the Rams.  Not just that 4th quarter, but some other times when I caught them.  I'll take the Niners, and I'd go the under on that basis.  The O/U is 46;  if it goes over, my feeling is, edge Rams.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Just flashed across the ESPN bottom line....

Tom Brady has announced his retirement.

So that's 40 years, almost 150,000 passing yards and over 400 regular season wins leaving.

Did you know...not counting the season where he was injured so early....Brady won 10+ games 18 years in a row.....

Quitter!

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Good.  Now that he's gone and not constantly in my face when I try to enjoy football each year, I can celebrate his amazing, somewhat unlikely, career.

I hope he can/has found something he is passionate about...he seemed totally addicted to the game.

Gisele Bundchen is something he can be passionate about.

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Just flashed across the ESPN bottom line....

Tom Brady has announced his retirement.

So that's 40 years, almost 150,000 passing yards and over 400 regular season wins leaving.

Did you know...not counting the season where he was injured so early....Brady won 10+ games 18 years in a row.....

expect to see a similar thing from Gronk, thereby putting the Bucs back in the mediocre category. as a matter of fact, all those guys Brady brought so he could win a championship without Belicek will probably leave.

That won't help but let's face it.  On the roster, next up would be...Blaine Gabbert.  Yeah, that's a 6-win QB for ya.  And 10 years in the league, so this isn't like a Daniel Jones or Ben's backup...name's escaping me.  Long track record of Not Good.  Oh...he's a free agent.  But he'll be a cheap sign.  And look at this list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Ben's gone.  Next best is probably Dalton, and well, we saw what he could do.  There's not one on that list that looks capable of making the playoffs, much less making a serious run.

There's Watson, I suppose...if you dare.  Rodgers is going to cost an arm, a leg, and your first born male child, we gotta think...do you really want to gut your team for the next 5 years to have 1 or 2 years of Rodgers?  With all his baggage?  And his age?  Is he really going to fit?

After those two, who's left?  

So...yeah, we won't know for a little while yet, but odds are the Bucs will be serious longshots to, say, win the conference.  

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Rodgers is going to cost an arm, a leg, and your first born male child, we gotta think...do you really want to gut your team for the next 5 years to have 1 or 2 years of Rodgers?  With all his baggage?  And his age?  Is he really going to fit?

According to most media outlets, the answer those questions is "Yes" if you're the Denver Broncos. Although GM George Payton said yesterday that bringing Rogers along was "absolutely not" a factor in their decision to hire former Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett as their next head coach. We'll see, I guess.

Another thing many media outlets are reporting is that regardless of the eventual outcome of their postseason, the 49ers are ready to move on from Jimmy Garoppolo and go with Trey Lance full time. So it's possible he's available. Do you want him?

Rodgers to Denver might make sense for Denver, if you really think they're so close to being a contender.  Everyone oohh--ahhed about their roster and how much sense it would make.  Yeah, weill, whatever.

Jimmy G?  Well...he's gotten his team to a SB, and now into the conference championship...and the Niners STILL want to move past?  That in itself is a big yellow flag.  Something has to be the source of that.  This year, his QBR was 13th...not horrible, but not great.  Behind Tannehill and Wentz, just ahead of Cousins and Carr.  It was about the same last year.  In the SB run, it was better...would've been right around Josh Allen's level.

It's possible that a lot of the issue is buyer's remorse/unreasonable expectations with the contract he signed...but he did get them to a SB.  Some of it could be frustration/concern with an injury history...only played 3 games in 18, 6 in 20.  Plus, I think there's the pressure that they drafted Lance and paid him a big chunk.  He has to have playing time to see if he's gonna cut it before his rookie contract ends.