2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

On the flip side, if Arizona wins next week, they clinch a playoff berth.  Packers clinch their division with a win and Vikes loss...and the Vikes play Thursday, at home to the Steelers.  Now there's an interesting matchup, for what comes close to a knockout game, considering how each team's game finished today.  Bucs can clinch a tie for the division...or, win it outright if they win and the Falcons and Panthers tie, and the Saints lose...to the Jets.  Not a parlay on which I'd care to wager.

A new reason for hoping Buffalo beats the Pats...all 4 AFC division leaders will be 8-4.  Which'd go to show that very little will be decided before week 16,  If the Chiefs hold on...seems likely...and Buffalo wins...the top 2 in the divisions would be 8-4/8-5, 8-4/7-5, 8-4/7-6, 8-4/7-5.  With 6-5-1, 6-6, and 6-6 lurking.  Not saying much, but I can't recall a logjam THIS big, this late in the year.

The Jags lost by 30 yesterday. The worst loss all year, which is saying something. 

I'll be very surprised if Meyer lasts the year. He has destroyed any potential Lawrence had while Minshew had a fantastic day for The Eagles. You know, the QB he discarded as useless? Yeah. Meyer needs to go. 

I guess it should point out that it was only the second worst performance of the day. Poor Houston, the team that humiliated the Jags on day one, lost by 31.  

Adrian Peterson

I mean he didn’t play well. 11 carries for 16 yards and a fumble is abysmal, but he did score a touchdown to move him level with Jim Brown for 10th most in NFL history at 126. Good for him and also Peterson managed to do something Franco Harris and Edgerrin James couldn’t do: get a TD in a Seahawks uniform.

Don't see many Jim Brown references any more.

It says a lot about the state of running backs tho, that AP can still get onto the field.  Or it says more about GMs, and the desire to create buzz.  To echo the Kap complaint...you mean to tell me that you couldn't go out and find a dozen young backs mostly just out of college, that would be better than AP?  And cheaper?  

I doubt Meyer will be fired before season's end, not at this point.  OTOH, Mike Zimmer might be.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-head-coach-hot-seat-2021-nflwk-13/

Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is probably going to get fired. We don’t have any juicy inside information on this situation. But we do have an understanding of how things work in the NFL. And Rule No. 1 is this — don’t lose to the Detroit Lions. The winless Detroit Lions. On the last play of the game. On a terrible defensive call. 

Now, I will say that Meyer may well be able to skip the postgame interview after losing in week 18.  That's against the Colts, with a very real chance that game will be one of many that week to tie up a playoff spot.  For the Colts.  Heck, who knows, if the Colts can drop a first-half hammer the way they'd like to, maybe he'll get fired at halftime.  I don't believe that's ever happened, but hey, if anyone does............

I think Vic Fangio has one more year on his contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it past this January. Fearsome defense he's supposed to have installed has shown only occasional flashes of brilliance (and with the exception of the Cowboys, pretty much never against good teams). The offense is a mess, and Brandon McManus--the place kicker, and the only remaining member of the Super Bowl 50 team--is arguably the team's MVP this season. I think the Broncos probably have to make the playoffs for Fangio to keep his job. They probably need four more wins for that to happen:

Dec 12th: vs. Detroit

Dec 19th: vs. Cincinnati

Dec 26th: at Oakland Los Angeles Oakland Las Vegas

Jan 2nd: at Los Angeles San Diego Carson Los Angeles Chargers

Jan 9th: vs. Kansas City

I see the Broncos winning as many as three (and as few as one) of those games. I don't think that'll be enough. 

There's also the fact that Fangio wasn't hired by George Paton, who may be ready to put his own coaching staff in place. 

If that happens, I hope the Broncos will take a serious look at Eric Bieniemy as their new head coach. 

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Don't see many Jim Brown references any more.

I wonder what the probability is of another human being entering the league with the size and strength of the best defensive lineman and the speed and elusiveness of the fastest wide receiver.

Then we could probably start making Jim Brown comparisons.  :)

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

I wonder what the probability is of another human being entering the league with the size and strength of the best defensive lineman and the speed and elusiveness of the fastest wide receiver.

Then we could probably start making Jim Brown comparisons.  :)

Eric Dickerson and Herschel Walker come to mind, but yes. and Brown did it in fewer years then most of them do it. He left the NFL for movies while still arguably the best in the league. Recently, maybe Derrick Henry, but Earl Campbell references might be more apt. My brother saw an interview with a DB asked how he would tackle Henry. His answer - be the 2nd guy to hit him.

13 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Eric Dickerson and Herschel Walker come to mind, but yes. and Brown did it in fewer years then most of them do it. He left the NFL for movies while still arguably the best in the league. Recently, maybe Derrick Henry, but Earl Campbell references might be more apt. My brother saw an interview with a DB asked how he would tackle Henry. His answer - be the 2nd guy to hit him.

Compared to the rest of the players of his era, Jim Brown was faster than everyone and the same size as defensive lineman.  Derrick Henry would have to be 6'5", 285 lbs and run a 4.2 or 4.3 to be comparable to Jim Brown.  That's all I'm saying - he was far ahead of his time athletically. :)

A difference from Brown's era, tho, is that today, many players are both big AND fast.  Aaron Donald's 280...and ran a 4.68 40.  Brown wouldn't be as much of a physical freak today.  Not saying he wouldn't be great...but he might not stand out to the same degree.  It's also likely his overall stats wouldn't be as good simply because, despite last night's game, running the ball is so downplayed by most.  

Also, something to remember about why he may have left football:  Brown's salary in 1964 was $50,000.  Inflation calculator says that's equivalent to $440K.  For the year...not per game.  The league rookie minimum salary is $660K.  Brown had done everything...multiple MVPs, won his title (and lost in the title game in '65).  What was left?  Paul Brown was gone;  that might have been a factor.  It seems unlikely to me that he'd ever have seen a major salary increase playing football...whereas the movies might've offered much more.  And he had a surprisingly long, reasonably successful career as an actor...look up his IMDb info.  Remember that many players of that era left the game...basically mauled.

19 hours ago, Starlord said:

Compared to the rest of the players of his era, Jim Brown was faster than everyone and the same size as defensive lineman.  Derrick Henry would have to be 6'5", 285 lbs and run a 4.2 or 4.3 to be comparable to Jim Brown.  That's all I'm saying - he was far ahead of his time athletically. :)

I agree and it is similar to Wilt Chamberlain's entry into the NBA. Not only was he bigger then all but a few players, he was athletic too. If he came into the league now, he would still be a very good center, but not the unstoppable force he was. My comment was that there were a few, very few, RBs who sort of mimicked what you were saying about size and speed.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Also, something to remember about why he may have left football:  Brown's salary in 1964 was $50,000.  Inflation calculator says that's equivalent to $440K.  For the year...not per game.  The league rookie minimum salary is $660K.  Brown had done everything...multiple MVPs, won his title (and lost in the title game in '65).  What was left?  Paul Brown was gone;  that might have been a factor.  It seems unlikely to me that he'd ever have seen a major salary increase playing football...whereas the movies might've offered much more.  And he had a surprisingly long, reasonably successful career as an actor...look up his IMDb info.  Remember that many players of that era left the game...basically mauled.

No argument there. And I liked him in the movies too and enjoyed the comedic turn he took in I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka (a movie I will still watch if I catch it on as everyone in it is a blast and clearly having fun)later on.

I read this as another sign that Urban Meyer's all but out the door.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32823662/trevor-lawrence-lobbies-james-robinson-recent-benchings-tells-jaguars-coaches-got-the-game

On the flip side, however:

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-12-07-its-time-to-admit-trevor-lawrence-is-trending-toward-being-a-bust/

Didn't listen to this;  the Jags don't interest me.  I am in no way a fan of Lawrence either.  But the summary...he hasn't shown even flashes...does lend credence to the "bust" evaluation.  On the flip side, tho, who knows what might happen with competent coaching.

48 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I read this as another sign that Urban Meyer's all but out the door.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32823662/trevor-lawrence-lobbies-james-robinson-recent-benchings-tells-jaguars-coaches-got-the-game

On the flip side, however:

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-12-07-its-time-to-admit-trevor-lawrence-is-trending-toward-being-a-bust/

Didn't listen to this;  the Jags don't interest me.  I am in no way a fan of Lawrence either.  But the summary...he hasn't shown even flashes...does lend credence to the "bust" evaluation.  On the flip side, tho, who knows what might happen with competent coaching.

Needless to say... this sucks. Meyer has ruined whatever talent that kid had. 

So you're saying there's a chance....

Here's the crazy NFL playoff scenario that would get the 1-10-1 Detroit Lions to the postseason

tl;dr version: There are still multiple ways Detroit Lions could make the playoffs; the least unlikely path requires 37 different things to happen over the last 5 weeks of the season.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

So you're saying there's a chance....

Here's the crazy NFL playoff scenario that would get the 1-10-1 Detroit Lions to the postseason

tl;dr version: There are still multiple ways Detroit Lions could make the playoffs; the least unlikely path requires 37 different things to happen over the last 5 weeks of the season.

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance | So You're Telling Me There's A  Chance? | Know Your Meme

2 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, wait a minute. Minnesota was up 29-0. So then I watched Hawkeye and Discovery, and now all of a sudden it's 29-20? What the heck?

Harris touchdown, Cousins pick, Harris touchdown, three and out, long strike to Washington.  I'm wondering where these Steelers were all season, and at what point they will turn back into pumpkins.

And now, with Pittsburgh in basically 1st and 96, Troy Aikman is reminding the audience that nobody has given up more points late in the game than the Minnesota Vikings. If Minnesota did find a way to lose this one, after losing to the Lions last weekend....