2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Yeah, the results this week have led to an AFC logjam.  Titans are 7-2, Ravens are 6-2.  Jets, Jags, Fins, and Texans are at the bottom, at 2-6 or worse.  But hey, we've seen:  don't look past em.  

Other than that...Indy is 4-5, and everyone else is between 5-3 and 5-4.  Yeah, it's THAT narrow.  9 teams, separated by a half game.  It's SO tight that right now, the Steelers have the 6th best win percentage at 4-3.  If they win, they join the Bills and Raiders in a tie for 4th.  If they lose, they're 11th.

Conversely, the NFC has the Saints at 5-3, Atlanta at 4-4, and Carolina at 4-5.  The Bears can go to 4-5 with a win.  The concentrations are higher up and lower down...6 teams at 3-5 or 3-6, 5 teams at 6-2 or better.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, unclevlad said:

Good point about the State Farm ads.  According to a story in Ad Age from yesterday, State Farm hasn't decided.  That said, that might be before the interview came out, and what he's been doing became clear.  They did say, you won't see his ads, but SF says it's because they're pushing a new theme using Terry Bradshaw.  

Wasn't it published somewhere that Bradshaw had brrn fighting back deantia forseveral years whie still being kept on by Fox -- where he is considered an authority on pro football. It's long past time for him to retire, but he'a still on the panel; after all these years.

Yeah, Bradshaw's had several issues.  Note that he's NOT listed as an analyst at this point...he's billed as co-host.

According to this:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/08/media/aaron-rodgers-state-farm-sponsorship/index.html

Rodgers spots were still shown...but accounted for only 1.5% of the State Farm spots shown.  State Farm vacillated by just saying they support the right to choose.  I think State Farm's going to look at the massively critical, negative pushback and drop him...but as quietly as they can.

Stephen A. gave a comparison to Kyrie...Kyrie took a stand, and is paying the price for that stand.  Rodgers played the situation to have it both ways.  

PFT discussion between Mike Florio and Mike Golic here:

While you can dismiss Stephen A. as a shock jock...neither Florio nor Golic are, in the slightest.  And if you watch...after the first few minutes, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, I do recommend going out to the 11:30 mark.  "If <Rodgers> really believed everything he said on Friday" that he'll retire.  

And good GOSH, I said it earlier, but I totally agree with Golic.  Smug and condescending start to finish.

Bradshaw apparently blasted Rodgers on Fox pregame...didn't see it.  Jimmy and Howie offered complementary cuts about the whole "it's a personal decision" angle.  And I did see, briefly, Dungy's swipe.  

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

I was reading something earlier today saying Aaron Rodgers' objection to the vaccines was that they have an ingredient that he's allergic to. Is that something that's been mentioned before? Or is that something he just pulled out of a random orifice?

It was part of what he said during the interview.

I assume it's true, actually.  This is something that we *don't* have a right to know.  That said, the J&J vaccine didn't have it.  Oh, but there were issues early on with it!!! But those issues were resolved well before the season started, and you still didn't go for it.

I'd also like to know if this allergy was sufficiently common that maybe they could substitute for it?  Maybe not, but I don't buy that the door was completely slammed on the 2-shot vaccines on that alone, without further evidence that this path was completely closed.

The utterly damning side tho, was that he knew the League did not consider him vaccinated.  He painted a picture that All Is Fine, disregarding the agreed-upon rules.  He even said "I didn't agree to these rules."  So ******* what?  You're accepting the check, you abide by the workplace rules.  My job, for some time, required a security clearance.  Condition of employment.  Yeah, well, that included random drug testing.  Not a huge deal...more annoying than anything.  But I had absolutely no right to object.  At one point, too, I got assigned to a field group.  That group took company vehicles to remote sites at times.  Ergo...a University operators' license was required.  Which means, of course, a state driver's license.  Which I didn't have.  Long story there.  Yes, well, as you can imagine...I got the license post haste.  Or I would have been fired, as the project I was on, was shutting down.  It was the listed job...or out the door.  

So he gets no break for this in my book.  it's all part of his attempt to make out that he's a victim, when he's as freaking guilty as Henry Ruggs in my book.  And MORE culpable, IMO.  Ruggs was buzzed and young and impulsive and stupid.  Rodgers was cold and calculating and continued the lie for months.

Speaking of Ruggs and the Raiders...there's this, seen on Twitter:

The Raiders 2020 Draft will go down as the worst in NFL history:

R1 Henry Ruggs: Prison

R1 Damon Arnette: Cut

R3 Lynn Bowden: Traded, 0 snaps

R3 Bryan Edwards: Starting

WR R3 Tanner Muse: Cut, 0 snaps

R4 John Simpson: Backup

R4 Amik Robertson: Benched

Another sterling addition to Jon Gruden's resume.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I was reading something earlier today saying Aaron Rodgers' objection to the vaccines was that they have an ingredient that he's allergic to. Is that something that's been mentioned before? Or is that something he just pulled out of a random orifice?

It’s BS. Anaphylaxis to the mRNA vaccines occurs in 2-5 people per million. With the J&J it has been observed in zero people per million. But maybe Rodgers’ “medical team” which includes Joe Rogan knows something I don’t. 

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

It’s BS. Anaphylaxis to the mRNA vaccines occurs in 2-5 people per million. With the J&J it has been observed in zero people per million. But maybe Rodgers’ “medical team” which includes Joe Rogan knows something I don’t. 

From cdc.gov:

CDC considers a history of the following to be a contraindication to vaccination with COVID-19 vaccines:

Severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) after a previous dose or to a component of the COVID-19 vaccine
Known diagnosed allergy to a component of the COVID-19 vaccine

And there's a list of the ingredients right after that.  So Rodgers WAS correct there, assuming he has an allergy to one of the ingredients.  There are also nasty, non-severe and severe complications that don't rise to the level of anaphylaxis.  And you can't argue for the general population rates when there's a known allergy present.

So I have no issue with him turning down the Pfizer and Moderna shots.  

EDIT:  link to the CDC page.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fcovid-19%2Finfo-by-product%2Fclinical-considerations.html#Contraindications

League fines Rodgers $14K, as well as receiver Allen Lazard.  Packers fined $300K.

Before we go ballistic..."this is a pat on the wrist!!"...

The source said the Packers' cooperation with the investigation was taken into consideration, but the team was warned that future violations could result in increased discipline, including possible change in draft position or loss of draft choice.

And presumably the same applies to Rodgers.  This was what had been written;  the entire collection of incidents counted as 1 incident.  Just got through something similar...neighbor dog barking.  MANY reports in the past...but until the neighbor got a formal notice, they didn't count as violations.  Well, everyone's had their warning.  Rodgers has his first Unsportsmanlike.  Another one, hopefully, het gets booted.  We shall see how he elects to respond.

I hope he's stubborn about it.  I really hope so.

I'm okay with Aaron Rodgers getting fined. It's probably what the CBA allows. But let's be serious about it. Let's fine him the maximum amount allowed by the CBA ... for every infraction. Every game. Every practice. Every film session. Every interview. Every team function. Every public appearance. Anytime he was acting as a member of the Green Bay Packers and not wearing a mask, he gets a fine. Every. Single. Time.

That's what he deserves, in my humble opinion. Play stupid b*tch games, win stupid b*tch prizes. 

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm okay with Aaron Rodgers getting fined. It's probably what the CBA allows. But let's be serious about it. Let's fine him the maximum amount allowed by the CBA ... for every infraction. Every game. Every practice. Every film session. Every interview. Every team function. Every public appearance. Anytime he was acting as a member of the Green Bay Packers and not wearing a mask, he gets a fine. Every. Single. Time.

That's what he deserves, in my humble opinion. Play stupid b*tch games, win stupid b*tch prizes. 

Yeah. Rogers is a piece of crap. 

In other news, the bottom fell out of the panthers season already and it doesn't look like we have much going on. I'll be switching to the NBA early this year. 

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

He does deserve it.  The CBA doesn't allow it.  Every infraction got bundled as a single infraction basically, from what I heard.

Want to take an even more negative view of Rodgers...if that's possible?

He was union rep before.  And he is intelligent.  How much ya wanna bet that he knew he couldn't be punished to any great degree *until* he was called out for the protocol violations?  Which points the finger back at the Packers for not enforcing anything...and at the policy, as was pointed out, because asking the Packers to antagonize their star player...even if the relationship was generally good...clearly shows a major conflict of interest.  So, one can read this as:

--he was going to push his whole "mandates are a joke, masking is a joke" and damn the consequences...because there wouldn't be any

--he intentionally put the Packer organization into a lose-lose position

--another angle...he was a major rep for an *insurance company*, and for a local health care system.  He either didn't consider the impact of his, at best highly misleading, assertions...or he didn't care.  Everyone can decide for themselves which they consider worse.

At this point, we'll just have to see what Rodgers does when he's allowed to return to the team...and how long he abides by the rules.  Including giving post-game interviews...ya gotta figure there will be pointed questions, especially if he plays this Sunday, about the whole debacle.  Even more so, should they lose.  Can't imagine that'll be comfortable.  Here, I've got a packet of tissues for everyone's crocodile tears.

And of course, if nothing noteworthy happens between now and the end of the Packer season, we can all anticipate another round of Aaron Rodgers, Drama Queen in the offseason.

Born a Rams fan but we left LA many, many....many moons ago.  As in.....OMG...it'll be 50 years ago next summer.  Gods, that makes me feel old...

I agree that I wouldn't want him;  I don't trust him.  Yeah, people say "no one's ever called him a bad teammate" but let's face it, they're publicists for the NFL to too great a degree.  That *can't* be taken at face value, at least by me.

Upside, tho, he should be cheap.  Pretty sure the Browns still have to pay the contracted amount.  So OBJ shouldn't have that much leverage here, not with the Rams.  

Hear ya, silk, about him getting rewarded...but this isn't the first time.  Or even close.  The players...at least those considered stars...have virtually all the leverage.  In the NFL;  in the NBA, they have ALL the leverage.  But he was gonna get paid regardless;  he wasn't terminated for cause, a la Henry Ruggs, so his salary guarantee still holds even when he gets cut.

This is it.  This year, it's absolutely do or die both for the Rams and OBJ.  OBJ has to be a solid contributor;  the Rams are win the SB or it's a bad year.  I'm not sure if I'm into revulsion mode with the Rams, the way I tend to be with the Dodgers, in trying so blatantly to buy a title.  OBJ might well be a Godsend because he should be cheap for them;  the Browns had to pay $4.2M once he cleared waivers.  But, still...the Dodgers made a mockery of the MLB "salary cap" and the Rams feel like they're doing the same thing.  That doesn't sit real well with me.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

I admit I don't understand why the Rams signed him; I would not have called wide receiver a spot where the Rams badly needed help.

The question becomes: can Stafford throw to his WRs well enough to make it worth it?

https://www.therams.com/team/depth-chart

Kupp is fine;  Woods isn't a prime #2, tho.  And what it comes down to is whether you believe OBJ can be the Pro Bowler...or just another prima donna.  The guy with maybe the most recognized, most replayed catch in the last 20 years, or the surly whiner who doesn't put out the effort regularly.  A LOT of this could be wishful thinking, there's no doubt of that.  

14 minutes ago, Cancer said:

... Or until he is killed in action. 😐

Their line is that bad, huh?  Haven't seen em all year, at least that I can recall.

But hey, at least Cam's vaccinated.....

Another schizo game tonight.  Miami had the 30th ranked defense...and they totally throttled the Ravens tonight.  Even the TD was helped by 2 personal fouls..one was a defender being stupid and totally deserved, the other was...ehhh....I didn't see it, nor did Aikman or Rereira.  Ravens were rushed and disorganized and basically hapless more often than not.

Ugly game too.

In other words, archetypal TNF debacle.

Puts the AFC North into complete confusion...6-3, 5-3, 5-4, 5-4.  Break out the ouija board to pick the winner....