Microfilm Madness

starblaze

32 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Probably can upgrade it, I turned it into a USB flash drive in the Champions Begins project, and the book depository into a place they take old books and scan them into ebook format.  Unless you want it to be retro.

There's always some secret Russian, US, or mad scientist notes lying around still on genuine microfilm.

Microfilm has been around since the 1800's. I wouldn't be shocked if every masked avenger who ever existed in the modern era hadn't run across it and/or used it.

"Only the Crimson Cowl ever discovered the location of the real entrance to Hollow Earth and he took that secret to the grave with him. Except maybe not since his journals recently turned up at...."

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Probably can upgrade it, I turned it into a USB flash drive in the Champions Begins project, and the book depository into a place they take old books and scan them into ebook format.  Unless you want it to be retro.

Actually I don’t really see the point of updating it. First younger kids are more knowledgeable of older tech than we sometimes give them credit for. Plus you could add the drama of how to retrieve the said information from such older tech. 

I don't see the need to update it. I mean, the government is still using 3.5" floppies. If someone doesn't know what microfilm is, just say the government used to keep pictures of secrets on small film in the past. Boom, done, continue episode.

2 hours ago, Tech said:

I don't see the need to update it. I mean, the government is still using 3.5" floppies. If someone doesn't know what microfilm is, just say the government used to keep pictures of secrets on small film in the past. Boom, done, continue episode.

You could have a subplot of the Heroes trying to get an emulator to run the old disks. 😁

I would handle it in waves.  Put UNTIL outside on overwatch, containing the fight, and have maybe a medic or some special tactics guy inside who has skills the PCs might lack as a Liaison.  

VIPER is there first, UNTIL shows up and surveils, giving the heroes what they know.  The Heroes go in with a liaison UNTIL guy and engages VIPER.  Then the Crusher gang piles on, attacking everybody.  Designate each side's plan on what to do with the microfilm when they get it: destroy?  Escape with it?  Take it into custody?  etc.  Have more VIPER show up if the fight is going too easy or Crusher is overwhelming the PCs: they hate VIPER more than the heroes and will go after them by priority.

Use standard agent rules: have them pick a target and stay on it until out of the fight or they win, in groups.  If an agent drops, treat them as out of the fight.  Assign agents x hits: no matter what the damage, if an agent is succesfully hit, then they lose one tick and when all those are gone, the agent drops.