Jump to content

Is there a way to make multiple attacks besides Multi-Attack?


EdZero
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Multi-attack lets you do this but the downsides of using it can mean that if you use more than one attack, your OCV goes down by 2 for every attack after the first. There's no way to negate that as far as I know besides having a huge OCV to counter the penalty.

 

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to make a character based off the TK powers Grifter has shown here, firing off multiple guns at the same time.

 

So, is there a way to fire off multiple attacks at the same time without my OCV taking a massive dump?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Autofire.  But you still need to hit by an extra 2 for each hit.

 

Purchasing multiple attacks and using them together as a Combined Attack. Depending on the campaign model, I'd also consider whether a character with the appropriate TK and skills could do this with cash-purchased weapons (in a game where gear is acquired with points), or just weapons of opportunity (like the weapons KOd bad guys left behind earlier in the fight).

 

+x OCV, only to counter Multiple Attack penalties (keeps the base OCV constant).

 

A bigger attack with the SFX of "firing multiple weapons".

 

A one-off use of the Power Skill ("TK Tricks") or a reconfiguration of a TK-based VPP.  A lot of comic book characters should have one of the two, based on the "done once and never again" tricks they accumulate over a publishing history, but they are complex and can slow down play so are often not acquired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Autofire is probably what you are looking for.  But you might want to look at more than just the base autofire for something like that.  Suppression Fire would allow attack moving in a defined area.  Don’t forget to look at some of the Autofire Skills especially Accurate Sprayfire.  

 

Buy it as a RKA with Autofire but use OIF instead of OAF.   The special effect is you are using multiple guns instead of single gun.  The value of the focus is reduced because they have to take away all the guns to deprive you of the power.   Buy the appropriate Autofire Skills and make sure your GM allows suppression fire.  Instead of one big gun with a huge clip you have multiple smaller guns with smaller clips.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoneWolf said:

Autofire is probably what you are looking for.  But you might want to look at more than just the base autofire for something like that.  Suppression Fire would allow attack moving in a defined area.  Don’t forget to look at some of the Autofire Skills especially Accurate Sprayfire.  

 

Buy it as a RKA with Autofire but use OIF instead of OAF.   The special effect is you are using multiple guns instead of single gun.  The value of the focus is reduced because they have to take away all the guns to deprive you of the power.   Buy the appropriate Autofire Skills and make sure your GM allows suppression fire.  Instead of one big gun with a huge clip you have multiple smaller guns with smaller clips.  
 

So with Autofire, it assumes that you're making the attack from one gun to multiple targets, like a spray. This would be each gun firing at an individual target, not spraying from one gun to multiple targets.

 

My idea was to use Psychokinetic Limbs (pg 332 - Champions Powers) which are basically just stretchy invisible arms to hold the guns and fire on a couple people from behind their back. It seems that if I'm doing it my way, I have to use Multi-Attack, which means I need an obscenly high OCV to counter the penalty. I have 4 invisible stretchy arms, including my original 2 which means if I'm firing with all 6, my penalty is -10, so I would need a OCV of 16 or so just to break even and try and hit something. Nevermind the fact that if I miss even one Multi-Attack, all the rest miss automatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Hero System there are always multiple ways to write up a power.  As long as the character bought the powers they are using they have a wide leeway on defining them.  This is the thing that people coming from other games have the hardest time with.  If you are used to a game where everything is defined and you simply choose from a list it can be a shock.

 

In a Champions game you have to pay character points for any and all attacks.  This means you have to pay for the guns with character points.  There are plenty of examples of a two shot autofire being defined as using two guns.  This just expands it out.  Since you can always choose to not use the autofire purchasing it this way allows you to use the gun(s) normally.

 

You don’t need to purchase anything else to fire multiple guns besides the guns themselves. The special effect that you are using telekinesis does not cost anything.  If you want to be able to do other things with TK you will need to purchase that.  You can always put the power in a multipower to reduce the cost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would build it kind of like this...

 

61/24 Telekinetic Bullet Storm: 2d6+1 Killing Attack - Ranged (Hole In The Middle (fixed size; +1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (10m Radius; +1/2); OAF: Guns, Lots of Guns (-1), No Range (-1/2)) (6 END)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Area of Effect, Selective Target

 

In the first Advanced Player Guide there's an optional advantage for AE that replaces selective: Accurate Selective.  Its +¾ (a rare number for an advantage) that makes you automatically miss or hit the targets you choose.  For example you could buy an area effect heal, Accurate Selective, and heal only your allies in the area.  Or a blast that only hurts your enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, lots of options.  Narrowing the effect down would help.

 

Each target hit once; auto-hit or roil to hit; etc.

Oh, it could also just be Blazing Away - not likely to hit anyone, but quite intimidating.

Which may be the effect - Grifter has lots of guns, but only 2 eyes to target them with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, Sketchpad said:

I would build it kind of like this...

 

61/24 Telekinetic Bullet Storm: 2d6+1 Killing Attack - Ranged (Hole In The Middle (fixed size; +1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (10m Radius; +1/2); OAF: Guns, Lots of Guns (-1), No Range (-1/2)) (6 END)

Only problem with this build is the OAF...because that means a target just needs to 'grab' one foci to shut down the build. I would define this as OIF because it harder to shut down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 2:32 PM, EdZero said:

It seems that if I'm doing it my way, I have to use Multi-Attack, which means I need an obscenly high OCV to counter the penalty. I have 4 invisible stretchy arms, including my original 2 which means if I'm firing with all 6, my penalty is -10,

Are these guns individually dangerous to your opponents so that even one of them is a threat?  Because that seems more than reasonable if that's the case.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...