Ideas for the Supervillain Man eater Girlfriend Power

indy523

Ok so I have a female supervillain for a four color super comics campaign who is based on the Greek Goddess EOS, the goddess of the Dawn.  She had an affair with Ares the God of War which angered Aphrodite the Goddess of Love so she was cursed by Aphrodite.  Eos was made to have an insatiable lust for new dalliances with men but could never have any relationship beyond a short time.

So the idea is that this goddess character has a supervillain power that is a metaphor for an evil woman that is hot and sexy and can charm men who the uses them and leaves them destitute or miserable because she can never find true love which of course is Aphrodite's fault.  

So what kind of power would you suggest that is combat usable in a Supers campaign that would be a good metaphor for this.  Anything goes whether on the nose literal type of mind control or something that is a subtle nod to the metaphor?

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Who needs Mind Control?

30 PRE, 5d6 Striking Appearance, and a Charm roll from hell;  the rest is disadvantages.  (20 point Psych Lim Seductress, for example.)

Yeah that should be a given but I never thought about utilizing presence.

Maybe a drain SPD that is RAR Charm Skill possibly only on individuals attracted to women to signify an inability to think in combat against her.

Hmm......

There is Change Environment Stun from APD2 I think but honestly I have already used that in another character in this villain group but maybe.

Is there another way in the hero system to deprive someone of an action?

This has to be a power useful in combat, which is what is flummoxing me.

And why does this have to be used in combat?  Anyone in a battle situation is thinking of getting out intact and/or taking out the other side.

Draining SPD also feels like a stretch, when the idea feels like emotional manipulation.  Drain EGO and/or PRE?  Sure.  She's so dazzling that any thought other than "hubba hubba hubba!!!!" is impossible.  This might be targeted pheromones as well.  Especially in combination with the high PRE and Striking App...nasty!

To get a little funky:  something like 3-4 dice of Drain, EGO and PRE, resisted by Ego Def rather than Power Def (they're equivalent-level defenses, so this should be +0).  Obviously, some of this is how fast or slow you want it to work.  Doesn't have to be that way but it feels more like an Ego Def situation than a Power Def;  it's not transforming the body, it's turning the mind into bubbling goo.

58 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

And why does this have to be used in combat?  Anyone in a battle situation is thinking of getting out intact and/or taking out the other side.

Because I want to give her useful attack powers in combat other than just here is a martial arts and four extra EC's with it because that is how we make good fighters without giving them 50 STR.

I guess an EGO drain does not have to be delayed if it is enough to move the person to zero.  Let me look up what a zero EGO does!

"At EGO 0, a character must succeed with an EGO Roll to act each Phase. The character follows all orders given to him from any source unless he succeeds with an EGO Roll. A character who fails the EGO Roll may initiate no Actions of his own. But if he makes his EGO Roll, not only can he reject an order given to him, he’s free to do something of his own choice that Phase without making a second EGO Roll. In the absence of instructions, characters with EGO 0 tend to follow the dictates of any applicable Psychological Complications they have. Treat such Psychological Complications as if they were an order from someone. In the event the character receives multiple orders in the same Phase, if he fails an EGO Roll he attempts to carry out all orders. If the orders contradict in some fashion, he does nothing"  - HS6E

Yep thank you that does the trick.  So I need an EGO drain that reduces a person's EGO to zero.  So Drain is 10 points per die 3.5 x 3 is 10.5 so the average normie with a 10 EGO and no Mental Defense is taken down with a 3d6 drain EGO attack 30 points.  If a normal drain it will last for 5 pts per turn and if a suppress she can maintain it with END but it goes away after immediately.

I can make it cumulative at x2 30 x1.75 = 52.5 AP now and she can drain a total of 18 x2 or 36 EGO from Someone meaning she should be able to reduce anyone to a quivering mass.  This would be effective in combat especially if she has a high PRE then that can always be used to persuade which is what resists that type of attack.  However I could buy the PRE with an advantage works on EGO instead which I would give as a +1/4A since many people buy some PRE.  

So maybe Drain EGO 3d6 Cumulative x2 effect +3/4A defended by MenD not PowD +1/4A  for a total 52 point power.

with a Naked advantage for her PRE let us say it is a 30 defended by EGO not PRE +1/4A or 30/4 = 7.5 which is 7 AP.

Probably not buying it as a suppress although that might work,  It would be defined as having to expend more effort and strain to take down characters with more powerful egos.

I could then employ certain powers requiring EGO rolls as well.

Might work - I will have to think about it.

Humm...

The special EGO Drain will work. And with a high PRE worth it (and Striking Appearance and maybe a Mental Transformation into Willing Mindslave). Prehaps another mental Transformation which is triggered when the character leaves them for "Suicidal When Dumped by Eos".

Depends on how you see this villain operate.

11 hours ago, indy523 said:

Because I want to give her useful attack powers in combat other than just here is a martial arts and four extra EC's with it because that is how we make good fighters without giving them 50 STR.

I guess an EGO drain does not have to be delayed if it is enough to move the person to zero.  Let me look up what a zero EGO does!

"At EGO 0, a character must succeed with an EGO Roll to act each Phase. The character follows all orders given to him from any source unless he succeeds with an EGO Roll. A character who fails the EGO Roll may initiate no Actions of his own. But if he makes his EGO Roll, not only can he reject an order given to him, he’s free to do something of his own choice that Phase without making a second EGO Roll. In the absence of instructions, characters with EGO 0 tend to follow the dictates of any applicable Psychological Complications they have. Treat such Psychological Complications as if they were an order from someone. In the event the character receives multiple orders in the same Phase, if he fails an EGO Roll he attempts to carry out all orders. If the orders contradict in some fashion, he does nothing"  - HS6E

Yep thank you that does the trick.  So I need an EGO drain that reduces a person's EGO to zero.  So Drain is 10 points per die 3.5 x 3 is 10.5 so the average normie with a 10 EGO and no Mental Defense is taken down with a 3d6 drain EGO attack 30 points.  If a normal drain it will last for 5 pts per turn and if a suppress she can maintain it with END but it goes away after immediately.

I can make it cumulative at x2 30 x1.75 = 52.5 AP now and she can drain a total of 18 x2 or 36 EGO from Someone meaning she should be able to reduce anyone to a quivering mass.  This would be effective in combat especially if she has a high PRE then that can always be used to persuade which is what resists that type of attack.  However I could buy the PRE with an advantage works on EGO instead which I would give as a +1/4A since many people buy some PRE.  

So maybe Drain EGO 3d6 Cumulative x2 effect +3/4A defended by MenD not PowD +1/4A  for a total 52 point power.

with a Naked advantage for her PRE let us say it is a 30 defended by EGO not PRE +1/4A or 30/4 = 7.5 which is 7 AP.

Probably not buying it as a suppress although that might work,  It would be defined as having to expend more effort and strain to take down characters with more powerful egos.

I could then employ certain powers requiring EGO rolls as well.

Might work - I will have to think about it.

Drains are Cumulative by default and have no Maximum Effect to worry about.  You can Drain as much as your rolls add to with repeated attacks. But EGO is a Defensive Characteristic so it takes 2 shots of 3d6 to reduce them to 0(though Normals start at 8 in their Base Characteristics).

You might want to consider either Constant and/or  Increased Fade Rate. Constant so you don't need to make a new Attack Roll each Phase and Increased Fade Rate so that the effect lasts for an extended time out of combat.

Drain SPD was suggested.  I like it and have used it to represent a distraction so powerful that you just cant get it together or stay focused: you are literally stopping or slowing down constantly just to look....

I have also use mind control based on PRE (similar to the presence builds above), and I have used mental entangle (with limitations) for that "head in a fog" thing- specifically, allowing cumulative 'damage' for break-out rolls, and a weak DEF.  They might be your heart' only desire, but you are not foing to just stand there forever while you are getting shot.  ;)

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Is there any reason a good debate between different people could not be considered a form of combat? We have many different examples in media,  entertainment,  and IRL where entire crowds have gathered for such situations.  The only "punch " is verbal, there is nothing physical between anyone,  no physical damage or danger done.  Yet it has all the same power and potential of more physically traditional combat and all sides will put up entire fortunes upon the outcome of the competition. 

Ok. Recap of the suggestions. 

High PRE.

Striking Appearance (another way to increase PRE).

Drain EGO.

Drain SPD.

Mental Transform (Transform vs Mental Defense, AVAD OMCV vs DMCV, Invisible Power Effects).

Mind Control Based On PRE.

Mental Entangle (Entangle, AVAD OMCV vs DMCV, Invisible Power Effects).

Of course, it all depends on what you see the power working like. This is Hero, pick and choose cause their is no one way (or wrong way) to represent a certain power.

1 minute ago, Asperion said:

Is there any reason a good debate between different people could not be considered a form of combat? We have many different examples in media,  entertainment,  and IRL where entire crowds have gathered for such situations.  The only "punch " is verbal, there is nothing physical between anyone,  no physical damage or danger done.  Yet it has all the same power and potential of more physically traditional combat and all sides will put up entire fortunes upon the outcome of the competition. 

I believe one of the Advance Player's Guide books has something about Social Combat. I'm not at home, so I can't look it up.

9 hours ago, Grailknight said:

But EGO is a Defensive Characteristic so it takes 2 shots of 3d6 to reduce them to 0(though Normals start at 8 in their Base Characteristics).

Where does it say that in the rules? On page 143 of 6e1 when it discusses adjustment powers on defensive powers it specifically says that it isn't one.

Is this a focused effect (single target), or will it affect all who can see her (AoE) at once?

A mental Transform will give you the long-term effect of being in love. Mind Control has breakout rolls that can snap someone out of it pretty quickly.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, Steve said:

Is this a focused effect (single target), or will it affect all who can see her (AoE) at once?

A mental Transform will give you the long-term effect of being in love. Mind Control has breakout rolls that can snap someone out of it pretty quickly.

I believe it can be both. Mental Transform if she has time to work on someone. Mind Control is best for short term control over multiple people.  Mental Transform is best for gaslighting one person for a long period of time. 

Eos seems like a mentalist type character, and defenses for those characters is often problematic.  For Eos I could see a Mind Control, AoE radius, No Range, Single Command "Don't hurt Eos".  That could get pricey to be effective, and requires constant Mind Control checks, so a more streamlined version would just be Combat Luck or levels of Damage Negation with the Mind Control sfx, possibly with the limitation "Only works if attacker fails EGO roll".