2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Side note #2.  Every team in the NFC South is below .500.

Side note #3.  The top 4 NFC championship teams from last year have a combined record of 12-15.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks without Russell Wilson are 4-3.  Addition by subtraction?

PS:  I have now watched the Broncos offense for the last hour and a half.  This just in - the Broncos WRs are...not good.  At all.  Like...they're really bad.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. This was supposed to be the year the Broncos returned to respectability (and the playoffs). Instead, they're the laughingstock of the NFL. And now they've lost at home to the [REDACTED] Jets. And there's no sign of anything getting better any time soon.

It's probably a good thing I don't drink. Booze is expensive.

9 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks without Russell Wilson are 4-3.  Addition by subtraction?

To a degree...yes, probably so.  Refocused, at least.  But one has to be somewhat careful...they've beaten the incompetent Broncos and no-defense Lions in a shootout.  Broncos...when are people gonna start ranking them properly?  They're BAD, but CBS had em as high as 23.  Lions, OTOH, were 31 this week.  They've beaten a Cards team that may be weeks away from a coaching change, and were #24 this week.  They do get credit for this one today.  But they've also lost to the Falcons and Saints.  So.....who knows?  

Bills.  Chiefs, altho their defense is somewhat suspect at times.  Eagles.  These are the 3 front-runners, and IMO better than even money one of em will win the SB, barring injuries.  Giants have grit, I don't think they'll be an easy out.  Dallas, good gosh, who really knows?  Jets...I don't think they're there yet.  Vikes?  I cannot trust Cousins.  And THEIR wins are VERY suspect...Detroit, Saints, Bears, and Miami w/o Tua.  The opening win against GB is looking shakier all the time too.

43 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

To a degree...yes, probably so.  Refocused, at least.  But one has to be somewhat careful...they've beaten the incompetent Broncos and no-defense Lions in a shootout.  Broncos...when are people gonna start ranking them properly?  They're BAD, but CBS had em as high as 23.  Lions, OTOH, were 31 this week.  They've beaten a Cards team that may be weeks away from a coaching change, and were #24 this week.  They do get credit for this one today.  But they've also lost to the Falcons and Saints.  So.....who knows?  

Bills.  Chiefs, altho their defense is somewhat suspect at times.  Eagles.  These are the 3 front-runners, and IMO better than even money one of em will win the SB, barring injuries.  Giants have grit, I don't think they'll be an easy out.  Dallas, good gosh, who really knows?  Jets...I don't think they're there yet.  Vikes?  I cannot trust Cousins.  And THEIR wins are VERY suspect...Detroit, Saints, Bears, and Miami w/o Tua.  The opening win against GB is looking shakier all the time too.

I say the Eagles dont make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs...too soon for them....

Doesn't count.  Texans are inept across the board.  They're pretty clearly a strong contender for the #1 pick...altho Detroit has the inside track right now.  Well they should;  it's been their DNA, despite a burst of respectability from 11-17.  7 seasons of 4 wins or less in this millenium.  Texans, Panthers, Lions, I'll throw the Broncos in there because I think the defense won't hold up and have no reason to believe the offense can step up, not 7 games in.  

Oh, and just to make Mr. P's day...at least 2 sites are suggesting Denver as a big-time seller before the trade deadline, particularly as they've got a lot of UFAs, including Bradley Chubb...and I wouldn't hold out hope they'll stick.  In part because the org traded Miller last year.  They have 18 total UFAs from the current active roster...that projects to be a lot of turnover.

14 hours ago, Starlord said:

I say the Eagles dont make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs...too soon for them....

As was pointed out, the 4 teams in the 2nd round in the NFC last year are 12-15.  Tampa Bay looked awful.  Green Bay might be imploding.  San Fran...unclear how they'll fare with McCaffrey.  Rams got gutted, so this isn't that surprising.

So it's gonna be mostly new teams...or teams with even worse history in the clutch, like Minnesota or Dallas.  

15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Texans are inept across the board.  They're pretty clearly a strong contender for the #1 pick...altho Detroit has the inside track right now.  Well they should;  it's been their DNA, despite a burst of respectability from 11-17.  7 seasons of 4 wins or less in this millennium.  Texans, Panthers, Lions, I'll throw the Broncos in there because I think the defense won't hold up and have no reason to believe the offense can step up, not 7 games in.

Yeah, right now I'd say that the Broncos have the inside track to the #1 pick ... except that they traded it to Seattle.

Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

Detroit's 1-5, and they've got the flip side:  tremendous offense, but by far the worst defense in the league...giving up over 32 a game.  NO is at 28 and change.  You may well be right, but I think it'll be a close race.

That said, it's rather likely to be a top-5 pick.  

Yeah, it's looking like the Wilson move is going to cripple the team for several years.

Has Matty Ice melted?  Colts announce a) grade 2 separated shoulder, so out for now, but also b)  Sam Ehlinger is elevated to #1 for the rest of the season.  Ryan's got yards, but YPA isn't great at < 7, 9 TDs in almost 300 attempts is bad, and 9 INTs is horrible.  Passer rating is 19th among QBs with at least 1000 passing yards (my threshold to avoid small sample size issues).  For comparison:  6 QBs have thrown 9 TD passes.  # of attempts...Tua has the fewest at 150, Trevor Lawrence has the most (other than Ryan) at 246.  9 picks is the most.  Ryan's also tied with Joe Burrow for most times sacked at 24...and we've cringed seeing how many hits Burrow's been absorbing.  

And we can go a bit broader...has time caught up to Brady?  Possible.  Wilson?  Possible, but more complex.  Rodgers?  Lordy, I hope so.  But this is suggesting a potential *serious* upheaval among those perceived to be top QBs.

28 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Pats-Bears is actually a competent and interesting contest of the football.  So far.  Although I wish Fields would run less and throw more, for his own sake.

And the Pats are losing.  Come on, we KNOW the reason why you're enjoying it...

Besides, the bar for a good night game has been pretty low this year... :)

But it's amusing.  And I want the Bears to win.  It'd make 8 teams at 3-4.  Average-minus...yeah, a fitting grade for the league so far, in my book.

EDIT:  how can the Bears go from looking SO BAD on offense, to a pretty decent performance tonight?  Altho 5 FGs isn't my first choice, they have moved the ball quite respectably.

Oh...TNF.  Nuff said...