2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But first half scores don't mean anything.  17 straight for the Giants;  the ONLY points for GB came on an intentional safety.  Good gosh, are the Giants actually for real?

4-1 with Saquon and a real coach? Maybe. 

Lotta concussions today. 

4 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Did I jinx the Lions when I wanted to to beat the Patriots ?

It's the Lions.  

Is stupidity contagious?  1:15, up by 2.  Chargers have 4th and 1 at their own 45.  Browns have no timeouts.  They go for it...pass is defended.  They HAND the ball to the Browns nearly in FG range.

They ESCAPE!!! because the 54 yarder's pushed to the right, but cripes, who are we bloody kidding???

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

This week's lesson: if you don't have the confidence to put your QB under center and run the sneak on 4th and 1, you have no business going for it on fourth down. Kick the dang ball! 

Even the sneak would be a horrible call.  

If there's a 10% chance the play doesn't work, in my book, you punt unless you're facing a Rodgers, Brady, or the like, where 80 yards and 70 seconds is simply another opportunity to add to a legacy.  This is the Browns with a backup QB.

The Jets AND Giants have winning records multiple weeks into the season?  WORSE!!!  They have a combined 7 wins!!!  The Apocalypse is nigh!!!

An, the Sheepies are wearing white at home, so that Dallas has to wear their dark jerseys that look nothing like their white jerseys.

I approve. I think every team in the league should wear white at home against the Cowboys. 

(And it's nice to see that the Rams are actually wearing white, instead of ecru or whatever that horrid color was they were wearing for the last couple of years.)

The CBS guys ripped that one apart on multiple levels.  As have pretty much every other commentator.

Ref's explanation, as reported by SI:

“What I had was the defender grabbed the quarterback while he was still in the pocket, and unnecessarily throwing him to the ground,” Boger told reporters. “That is what I was making my decision based upon.”

My only point is whether this was perhaps hypersensitivity based on the Tua play.  Not saying that makes it a correct call;  it wasn't.  The league flat-out said the new concussion protocol evaluation is to err on the conservative side, tho, so what did they tell the refs?

Getting a pointed lesson in just HOW MUCH commercial time there is tonight.  Padres-Mets is on the TV, streaming SNF.  When a commercial comes on the SNF, it's NOT being shown on the stream, just a flat promo screen.  And there's no sound.  That's the part that drives it home.

I'm thinking Ravens are gonna regret not doing more when they had the Bengals locked down early.  10-10 at HT when the Bengals' first 4 possessions are 13 total plays, with 4 punts.

Well, there's a pick for the Ravens to try and do something with.

Never been to an NFL game but as I understand it, the timeouts are way longer than they need to be, and sometimes there will be a weird timeout purely to allow the network to run commercials, if there hasn't been a break in the game for a while.

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

Well, there's a pick for the Ravens to try and do something with.

Never been to an NFL game but as I understand it, the timeouts are way longer than they need to be, and sometimes there will be a weird timeout purely to allow the network to run commercials, if there hasn't been a break in the game for a while.

That's all been largely true, altho there are some conventions in that regard.  The 2 standard ones would be every change of possession, and before every kickoff.  Those are explicitly for TV, as there's no need for them.  Significant injury...but no one's gonna argue those.  Minor injuries, tho, often do.  The SNF commercial breaks, tho, run a little longer...I think.  I didn't time them.  Perhaps it's just the static, dead screen, with no sound, no clue about when it'll be over.  That likely is perceived as slower/longer than even an annoying ad.  

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Can't be considered a surprise, but Matt Rhule's clock just ran out.  Fired today.  Got to think the GM's position is very shaky as well.

A guy at CBS Sports is touting Rhule as the guy to rebuild the Nebraska football program. On paper, it looks like it could work. But then, so did Scott Frost.

Meanwhile, check out Taysom Hill's stat line with the Saints yesterday:

- 9 rushes for 112 yards and 3 TDs

- 1/1 passing for 22 yards and a TD

- 1 fumble recovery

Not a bad day at all.

Adam Schefter on Monday Night Countdown brought up the point that Rhule's firing may have been timed, in part, to give him a shot at one of the several college jobs...in order to reduce the cost of firing him.

The NBA might want to adopt a Watson policy, but then...James Harden or LBJ trade-ins might just bankrupt a club or two...

MNF just getting started.  Raiders get off to a classic Raider start...chop block, then a 50 yard pass bouncing off the receiver's chest...

Chiefs, tho.  Mahomes drops back on 3rd and 8, and a lineman has a clear run at him.  Lineman wraps him up, moves him backwards a step or two...and the whistle gets blown.  Two points:

1.  The lineman doesn't try to clock Mahomes.

2.  The refs blow the play dead well before Mahomes can be taken down.  Mahomes wasn't going anywhere, so it was entirely reasonable, but plays have been left to run longer.

Makes me think, a) the lineman was concerned with getting an unnecessary roughness/roughing the passer call, and b)  the refs probably ARE being extra-cautious about QB hits.

I've had the game on for about a minute and a half, and I've seen two pass interference penalties against the Chefs. Sloppy.

And now the Raiders have taken a two-touchdown lead. At this rate, the Donkeys will be at the bottom of the AFC West after tonight.

16 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

And with a minute to go in the half, there's ANOTHER impossible-to-explain roughing call.

This really IS a joke.  And a travesty.  And it's SERIOUSLY going to alienate fans.  I'm absolutely for player safety but that's 2 calls in 2 days that can't be made.

I don't think it's the refs so much as the league that is freaking out after Tua.  Honestly it's nice to see the NFL actually start to give a damn about head injuries, but the execution... could use some work.