2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Tayson Hill is arguably a more effective passer than Tim Tebow ever was, that 80-yard strike to Demaryius Thomas notwithstanding.

In the night game, I see that Philadelphia is wearing what looks like black helmets with their not-quite-green jerseys and white pants. They've gone full Coastal Carolina.

Part of the reason I don't do fantasy football, I suppose.

Saquon Barkley Responds To Fantasy Owners Being Unhappy With Him Not Scoring Touchdown

He's right, of course. He does have a job to do. And that job involves no legal, moral, or monetary obligation to give two ****s about what fantasy owners might want. He's there to win games, and going down at the one yard line was exactly what he needed to do in that circumstance to help his team win the game.

19 hours ago, Cygnia said:

So long as the Browns employ rapists and domestic abusers, I'm OK with rooting for Darth Hoodie a little bit more...

From the Pulse newsletter from The Athletic this morning:

Honorable mention: Bailey Zappe, man. Sure, he helped the Patriots beat up on a lost Browns team,

formatting mine...

11 minutes ago, Old Man said:

At least it seems like a relatively competent game for once.  Russell's not constantly missing his receivers.

I'd buy that for the first half, but the second half and OT are a total DISASTER.

Speaking of disasters, the Broncos muffed the punt and just HANDED the Chargers a shot to win the game.  The only problem is, there's still issues with the Chargers' kicker, and they can't move the ball either.

Mr. P, don't worry.  The aberration was the first half, so...no, there's still no hope.  And yet, they may still pull this out.  

Once again, the Donkeys find a way to snatch defeat from the very jaws of victory. And next week we get the Jets, who suddenly don't suck anymore.

Does that mean we're the Jets now?

Maybe the Broncos should fire Hackett and hire Mike Sanford away from CU. At least he got a win this week.

56 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, I get that there's no halo rule anymore, but it's okay to push a blocker back into the kick returner?

The Bronco put himself into that position in the first place.  When you get a chance, review it.  The blocker ran all the way to the returner, which also may have messed him up, so he muffed it.

The fault was the blocker, IMO, and no penalty should've been called.

Broncos had 10 flags for 151.  4-14 on 3rd down.  Wilson started 10-10, then reverted...5-18 the rest of the way.  In the 2nd half, the Bronco FG was set up by the INT...they netted 0 yards even there.  Otherwise, 6 punts.  Quickly totalling...7 possessions in the 2nd half and OT.  72 yards total.

And Troy went through the entire litany.  No run game.  Receivers not getting separation.  Not a great O-line.  It's no wonder they actually increased their PPG with 16.

Game balls to the kicker for doing his job despite leg issues...and the punter for filling in quite decenly on the kickoffs.  Props to Herbert for that bailout on 3rd down right before the final kick.  45 yards would've been a decsion;  39 was manageable.

EDIT:  another point being made during the postgame/SVP SportCenter.  The Broncos had a mini-bye, their prior game was a TNF.  And they STILL lay another egg.  THAT speaks to bad coaching too.

EDIT 2:  just checking a few things, this caught my eye.

How bad is the Lions defense?  They've given up 7 more points than the Seahawks and Browns, who are tied for next-worst.  Well, that wouldn't be so bad...but they've played 6 games.  Lions...5.  170 points in 5 games.  They've scored 140, so in PPG scored, they're 3rd.  But that DPPG is a full touchdown worse than anyone else.  Or, if you prefer...the Bills and Niners have given up the fewest.  In 6 games each, they've allowed 170.

BTW:  one thing to give Denver.  The defense is probably the best in the league...because the offense is so incredibly horrible, they're not giving the defense ANY support.  So the numbers should be even better than they are, assuming a simply poor offense.

When it rains, it pours.

Broncos' Russell Wilson to undergo MRI for potentially significant hamstring injury, per report

Next man up: Brett Rypien, a third-year quarterback out of Boise State, or Josh Johnson (currently on the practice squad), an eighth-year QB from the University of San Diego. After that, I guess it's Kendall Hinton.