2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Again, sad thing is, with just a little planning, if you made the schedule such that prior to the thursday night game, the 2 teams each had one of their byes, then you don't have teams playing on 3 days rest. I can't believe it wasn't possible. would mean 10 days off prior and then, given they play on the next sunday, 9 days off instead of 14 straight between games. so still get extra days rest before and after.

4 hours ago, slikmar said:

Again, sad thing is, with just a little planning, if you made the schedule such that prior to the thursday night game, the 2 teams each had one of their byes, then you don't have teams playing on 3 days rest. I can't believe it wasn't possible. would mean 10 days off prior and then, given they play on the next sunday, 9 days off instead of 14 straight between games. so still get extra days rest before and after.

The reason it's not possible is because TNF happens on weeks when no teams have byes.  But I agree that something needs to be done to improve TNF games, such as not having them.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

The reason it's not possible is because TNF happens on weeks when no teams have byes.  But I agree that something needs to be done to improve TNF games, such as not having them.

True, but this game is same as the one the following Sunday (ie the ones played Thursday don't play this Sunday). So, if both those teams had byes Last Sunday (using these dates, the 9th) then my plan works. they would have had the week of the 9th off, played on the 13th and then both played again on the 23rd. Thursday Night Football is every week, from what I have seen and the new NFL schedule seems to have teams off almost every week now, so just arrange it so that the teams playing on Thursday have the prior week off.

8 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Thursday Night Football is every week, from what I have seen and the new NFL schedule seems to have teams off almost every week now, so just arrange it so that the teams playing on Thursday have the prior week off.

Almost every week is not every week, is what I was saying.  Byes only happen between weeks 6 and 14, leaving four weeks at either end of the season where no teams are on bye.  Other than that it seems like a good plan, but I also can't rule out the possibility of other scheduling complications that could get in the way.

And restructuring byes so there's a bye in every week from 1 to 17...there are no TNF games in week 18...is seriously problematic to the teams stuck with super-early or super-late byes.  

TNF is in itself a problem, I'll concede that.  But it doesn't explain the utterly putrid play the last 2 games.  Even if we just took TNFs, played in good weather, since the inception...where would these 2 rank, among the worst of the worst?  WAY up (or down, if you prefer) there.

I think it's broader than TNF.  I think the quality of play is *seriously* down.  The bottom half of the league is TERRIBLE.  Why?  Some or all of:

--coaching changes left, right and sideways, combined with free agency:  consistency is almost impossible.  The players are still having to actively think instead of react/use muscle memory.

--lack of work on fundamentals?  EXCESSIVELY large playbooks leading to lower familiarity with what's in there?

--related to that:  offenses that are so bloody freaking complicated that they're impossible to run.  Combine this with the compulsion to draft a QB in the first round, meaning the team will HAVE to rush him into the lineup quickly

--injuries?  

--coaches loving genius calls and plays

--horrific use of analytics...generally a very shallow, surface approach.  

I think the bad TNF games so far are clearly explainable.  Pittsburgh was still struggling with Trubisky and also lost J.J. Watt.  Tua went down against the Bengals.  We've gone over the issues with the Broncos at length, and the Colts were without Jonathan Taylor and/or Michael Pittman.  Washington's offensive line has been decimated by injuries, while for the Bears, Justin Fields seems to have a strange inability to detect open receivers.

The one game that didn't feature teams with significant injuries or struggling quarterbacks or incompetent coaching was Chargers-Chiefs, which was a good game.  Ravens-Bucs in two weeks also ought to be good, but first we'll have to endure the ineptly coached Cardinals versus the third string Saints.

But Trubisky pulled out the win.  Or TB blew it...3 red zone field goals is NOT good.

Pats are managing as best they can;  I still don't see them in the playoffs.  And yes, them losing is a nice-to-have, but Cleveland losing is just plain AWESOME.

The Jets and Giants are 9-3 combined????  

What's up with the Packers, cuz this was at Lambeau.

And the Ravens...and IMO Lamar Jackson in particular...they're shooting themselves in the foot over, and over, and over again.  And they did it last year too.  Bad pick to set up the Giants' go-ahead score.  Carries it around loosely in traffic...gets knocked away.  Yeah, fine, that's a situation where he makes lots of good plays...but too many costly ones.  We all know the old saw...1000 attaboys, promotion, raise.  999 attaboys, one Aww<BLEEP>...fired.  Ravens also had too many flags.  

This is a relatively minority opinion, I'm sure, but Jackson is severely overrated...BECAUSE of the number of mistakes he makes.

No team in the AFC North, NFC South, and NFC West can be over .500 at the end of the afternoon games.  Ravens, Bengals, Bucs, Falcons and Niners are 3-3;  winner of Cards-Seahawks will be as well.  The loser will join the Browns, Steelers, and Saints at 2-4.  Detroit's the only 1-4;  they have a bye.  Rams are 2-3 and playing...and losing to the Panthers.

That is a LOAD of mediocrity.

As Mariota is a hometown QB, I was obligated to watch all of SF @ ATL.  It was shockingly competent on both sides and Mariota pitched an almost perfect game.  The only disappointment was Jeff Wilson coughed up an early fumble and hardly played after that, which is not great for my fantasy team.  I think I'm up against one of the better players in that league this week, although he's a Bungle fan so he can't be that smart.

Kliff Kingsbury's seat has to be heating up.  2-4 is not going to sit well in the desert...and some of it is directly on him.  4th and 4 at the Seattle 20...go for the first, don't get it.  4th and 2 at the SEA 27...same.  Scores were 3-3 and 9-3 Seattle, with 9 minutes left in the 3rd on the latter.  Then 4th and 2 at the SEA 23, down 10, with 10 minutes left.  Same thing.

That's what he does, we know that.  But those are at best questionable decisions, and IMO the first and last are bad decisions.  This isn't a rookie head coach, either.  One can also question the offense generally...as in, 4-16 on 3rd down, and 1-5 on 4th down.  Could be several things, but one thing the stats show is, ok, Arizona ran for 144...but Murray was 100 of that.  The backs were 18 carries for 44 yards...rather awful.  Another telling point:  Murray was sacked 6 times.  

Yeah, Kingsbury went 11-6 last year...BUT lost 4 of his last 5, then lost the WC game.  There were rumblings at that point, and this is not the kind of start to silence them.