2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Packers get the ball late, in good field position, down 6.  Oh boy, another Rodgers comeback right?

They even get a 30 yard gain on 4th and 2, to get a first down at the Detroit 17.

Then 4 straight incompletions.  Game over.  9 points total.  Against the worst defense in the game...by quite a bit.

The Vikings are now 5!!!! games up in the loss column to every team in their division.  How do you get that large a lead after 8 and 9 games????   Answer:  the bad teams this year are TERRIBLE.  And numerous.

2 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Did any Raiders commit a crime today? 

Probably just the coaches.  Box says the Raiders gained about 230 yards in the first half, as they scored their 20.  Second half?  80.  NOTHING going on.  To me, that's on the coaches.

It's the NFL this year.  Not just the Raiders, by any means;  they just tend to offer some of the more spectacular failures.

EDIT:  oh, a secondary note.

We've noted that Joe Burrow won't last the season if he keeps getting hit the way he's been.  Yes well, Sam Ehlinger won't either.  Sacked 9 times today.  

In 38 dropbacks, the Colts netted 43 yards total.  15/29 for all of 103 when he got it off, 9 sacks for 60 yards.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Did any Raiders commit a crime today? 

There's a part of me that wants to make some kind of "Impersonating a Professional Football Team" crack, but with the way the Broncos played this year, there's an even bigger part of me that realizes I have no business making fun of anybody's team.

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

There's a part of me that wants to make some kind of "Impersonating a Professional Football Team" crack, but with the way the Broncos played this year, there's an even bigger part of me that realizes I have no business making fun of anybody's team.

Oh, but you do.  As a Broncos and Rockies fan, you're an expert on the subject of teams perpetrating this kind of fraud.  It's not making fun, it's recognizing truth.

We have one NFC division that's already all but clinched, and another with no team above .500.  The AFC has a couple good teams, a couple very bad teams, and a bunch mired in messy mediocrity.

I think we're seeing the long-term impact of all the churn.  Of everything...players, coaches, front office.  Combine that with the outright terror of injury in the preseason, and inconsistency is almost a foregone conclusion.

Tom Brady just passed 100,000 career passing yards.  NOTE:  that's regular season AND playoffs.

For comparison, Drew Brees is 2nd...over 14,000 yards back.  

It's a record that might not be broken for a couple reasons...sheer longevity combined with sustained high-level play, and the huge one:  the massive number of playoff games.  Brady's started 47 playoff games.  Peyton had 27.  Favre had 24.  Big Ben and Montana had 23.  

And by longevity, Brady's the career leader in regular season starts.  

OHHH my...as I write it, we're down to 2 minutes.  Bucs have been struggling, it's 13-9 Rams.  Bucs have 2nd and goal, Brady puts a ball to the back of the goal line.  Receiver's open;  he's got to leap for it, but it's in his chest!  Uhhh...you catch the ball with your hands, not your body, dude.....  <DOINK>  4th and goal for the game after the 2 minute warning, when they should have the lead...and it's incomplete too as Aaron Donald forces a throw into double coverage.

My, oh my, oh my.

Brady miracle or Ram debacle?  After a 3 and out for the Rams, the punt's solid.  Brady has 53 seconds to go 60 yards.  Rams play soft, soft, soft.  BOOM, first play's 28 yards.  Short out, short out, short out.  Red zone.  Pass Interference in the end zone, then a swing pass.  Touchdown.

All set up by Charmin-soft coverage...

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Don't be silly, none of us is rooting for an actual contender.  Making fun of each others' teams is all we have!

It's getting reasonable to project forward a bit...what will it take to make the playoffs?  We've got half the season under our skins now.

AFC:  11-6 is likely a lock.  10-7 may need tiebreakers, but may get in without.  9-8?  I kinda doubt it, or maybe one team.  #7 spot is the Chargers at 5-3 right now.

NFC:  the South has to get a berth.  9-8 will likely do it, but 8-9 may well get you into tiebreakers.  5 other teams are 6-3 or better;  10+ wins looks pretty good for them.  The last one?  (There's 7 playoff teams this year, remember.)  Niners are 4-4, in 7th.  Falcons and Washington are 4-5...but will 2 NFC South teams reach 9 wins?  If it's only 1, they take the division, most likely.  Rams are 3-5;  Saints are 3-5 pending tomorrow;  then it's Packers, Bears, and Cardinals at 3-6.  9-8  isn't impossible, but it's a long shot.  None of em are better than 6% to make the playoffs on FiveThirtyEight.  So I'd say 10 and you're in without worrying about tiebreakers;  9 and you might be in without tiebreakers.  

I remember these from 1994.

Looking Back at the NFL’s 75th Anniversary Throwbacks

I'm actually quite fond of this look for the Broncos. It'd look better with the blue helmet from the 70s and 80s, though.

Broncos.jpg

I know a lot of people hated this look for Pittsburgh, but I loved the audacity of it.

Steelers.jpg

Anyway, just thought I'd drop these here. Carry on.

Since the Utah Jazz have made the unfortunate decision to change their color scheme to black and highlighter yellow, there's a part of me that would really love to see them wear something like this during the season at some point.

If Indy is smart, IMO, they'll fire the GM too.  For a couple reasons:  5 QBs in 5 years.  You don't want to hire the HC without a (hopefully) stable GM...and the current one can't be considered stable in his job.  

Gut feeling?  One, maybe 2 more coaches are gone by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend.  Oh, and just noted...the Colts raided ESPN for their interim coach.  Jeff Saturday.  AFAIK...zero high-level coaching experience.  It's a "glory days" hire, nothing more...and likely because they couldn't afford Peyton. 🙃

Seahawks +2?  Yeah, always nice to be the underdog, even if it's by a small amount.  Got to be the Brady factor;  the last 4-5 weeks, the Bucs have done nothing, and Seattle's playing pretty well.  The game against the Rams said more about LA's problems to me.  Super Bowl wins give a coach a LOT of rope, but right now, McVay's cutting off good-sized chunks of his.

For only seven billion American dollars, you could own an NFL franchise that hasn't been relevant since the 90s.

REPORT: Asking Price For The Washington Commanders Has Been Revealed, ‘Hope’ To Complete Sale Within Next Six Months

It makes the recent purchase of the Broncos, along with their $243 million quarterback, look like an absolute bargain.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

For only seven billion American dollars, you could own an NFL franchise that hasn't been relevant since the 90s.

REPORT: Asking Price For The Washington Commanders Has Been Revealed, ‘Hope’ To Complete Sale Within Next Six Months

It makes the recent purchase of the Broncos, along with their $243 million quarterback, look like an absolute bargain.

The Commies have, I think, the third largest fan base and/or media market in the NFL.  Something like that.  Anyway, you have to be mind bogglingly stupid to lose money running an NFL franchise (said the Raiders fan).

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Well, there goes using tonight's lottery money to leverage a loan...

Sooo...who's all gung-ho about the dramatic, crucial TNF matchup....Falcons vs. Panthers???

I'm obligated to watch it, but I wouldn't call my self "gung-ho".

But *if* that initial price is too high, that's how you can lose money.  Forbes' estimate was $5.6B, so that reported price is 25% over.  

Part of the valuation is that Snyder owns FedEx Field...pretty consistently rated the worst stadium in the NFL.  It's $700M of that valuation, but if the team were to move to a new one, how much of that goes *POOF*?  Or do the new owners need to kick in a lot to get a new mega-palace?  That's another, what, $1.5-2B.