2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Because.....they've got enough tape on Mayfield to know he's not the answer?

Because Mayfield's contract this year is $19M?  And while he may well be better...he's not worth $19M.  Oh, AND he's a free agent after this year, so he's something of a lose-lose...if he by some miracle has a good year, you're looking at HOW much to sign him?

Because they don't feel like helping the Browns out of the cesspool they dove into?

Because they're concerned about the maturity/accountability issues?

Seems like there's lots of good, plausible reasons.  

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

What I can't really wrap my head around is why the Seattle Seahawks seem to think that Drew Lock and Geno Smith are still better options than Baker Mayfield.

Why pick up his contract when they can wait for the Browns to cut him?  The animosity between Mayfield and the Browns organization is hardly a secret.

To me the bigger question is, what is Mayfield going to do if it turns out Watson can't play?

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Why pick up his contract when they can wait for the Browns to cut him?  The animosity between Mayfield and the Browns organization is hardly a secret.

To me the bigger question is, what is Mayfield going to do if it turns out Watson can't play?

Wrong question.  What are the *Browns* going to do?  Cuz they're still on the hook for Watson's money thanks to likely The Worst Contract Ever. (trademark pending), so their maneuvering room is likely sharply limited.  

Let's speculate Watson gets suspended for 8 games for violating the personal conduct policy.  That might seem lowball...and I think Watson deserves more...but this might be what can be made to stick.  In that case, I don't think they go with Mayfield, they try to get by with Brissett.  Mayfield might be the choice if Brissett gets hurt, or plays like Trevor Siemian.  And even if it's longer...it's SO hard to try to bring Mayfield back into the fold at this point.  Maybe when it's the full year, especially if it's before training camp starts.  

I think it likely that Watson's going to be their QB, tho.  It's the NFL, on a disciplinary matter.  They're slower than molasses on Pluto.  And the fact, now, that the Texans are involved as an organization, means they'll almost certainly announce their decision against both, at the same time.  So it's quite possible that the NFL's clock has just been reset.  This may not resolve until the start of NEXT season at this rate.

Just seen on ESPN bottom line...

The sister of the Chargers owner Dean Spanos is suing to take over the family trust, which owns over 1/3 of the club.  The main claim is tied to the massive expenses from the move to LA, devaluing the trust.  

I thought I'd seen this before, but what I'm thinking might've just been speculation that something like this would happen.  

The suit also includes claims of misogyny.  It is apparently *rather* nasty overall.....

Well, let us not restrict family infighting to the NFL.

The Baltimore Orioles are owned by the Angelos family.  The patriarch, Peter, is 93 now;  medical problems left him disabled in 2018.  He had a (somewhat) younger wife and 2 sons.  The younger son is suing, claiming the elder has squeezed him out contrary to his father's wishes...in part by turning the mother against the younger son.

THIS one really, really looks like a yellow snowball fight.  Really nice billable hours, tho....

I just watched a docuseries on Joe Montana. While I was aware of him (hated him because mom was such a big fan) I wasn't really paying attention to the NFL while he was active. The series was a nice look at not just his life but the NFL in general filling me in on a lot of what I missed. The story of how he met his wife of 36+ years was nice. 

it is indeed the exemplar of a coach overthinking a play call.  It will retain a place in history among the Bottom 10 plays of all time...very likely, due to the significance of the game and the play, #1...alongside such luminary plays as the Butt Fumble, the Miracle in the Meadowlands (Pisarcik fumbling the handoff to Csonka while trying to run the clock out), the immortal Garo Ypremian pass attempt, and of course, the Leon Lett.

If Watson plays in a preseason game, first team vs. first team...

How much ya wanna bet that some defensive lineman or blitzing linebacker figures 15 yards is nothing, and tries to take him OUT.  Not SO obvious that it'll draw a suspension, but getting thrown out?  No big deal, it's preseason.  

And during the regular season, they'll have to be a bit more circumspect, but given a chance...some will take it *with glee.*

May not be a lot of em, but I expect there will be a fair number who'll, at least, delight in putting a little more POW into any hit they can take.

Interesting point from Mike Florio on PFT today:

If Watson was truly looking only for massages, his protection should have come not from a nondisclosure agreement supplied by the Texans’ director of security but from a third person who could break the tie if the massage therapist later claimed something inappropriate occurred. The circumstances that he arranged necessarily result in the cases boiling down to one person’s word against another’s. And Hardin, as part of his effort to prove that all 24 (soon to be 26 and eventually to perhaps be more) women are lying  suggests that the police — and everyone else — should just presume they are.

Not entirely sure a third party is a good approach.  Who hired the third party?  Does the third party have incentive to favor one side or the other?  But it's a point that plays better in a civil case...that he maneuvered to create reasonable doubt to avoid criminal issues.

Side thought.  I've seen some notions that maybe there's a way for the Browns to revoke the contract guarantees.  It could be amusing to watch them try, as it seems like "you had ALL these allegations, and you were fine offering the deal you did...but you're trying to claim relief from the whole thing, for *just* this much more???"  And the same thing if they try to claw back any draft picks yet to be made. Clearly, they can't get back the 2022 picks, altho maybe they could try to get compensatory picks...?  Not even sure it's possible, but it DARN sure wouldn't be deserved.

This story has quite a bit of analysis:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34125788/civil-lawsuits-deshaun-watson-where-things-stand-20-settlements-next-cleveland-browns-qb

It's *plausible* that this'll allow a decision sooner, but there's a lot up in the air right now.  Also note that simply settling those cases, has no bearing per se on what the NFL does.  What is likely is, there's going to be no more information about those 20 cases, so *maybe* the NFL can now make a decision, based on what they know about them.  (I presume there's confidentiality agreements that'll keep the women from talking any further to the NFL.)

IMO what this does do, is increase the pressure on the NFL to complete their process *soon*.  The longer they take now, IMO, the worse they look.  Which is hard to do, given their horrible track record.

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

IMO what this does do, is increase the pressure on the NFL to complete their process *soon*.  The longer they take now, IMO, the worse they look.  Which is hard to do, given their horrible track record.

I think we can count on the NFL to handle this situation as badly as possible.