2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

So the Bengals got a new naming deal for the stadium.  Paycor Stadium.  Now there's one that rolls off the tongue......

Elsewhere, the Washington Commanders fired their DL coach due to "philosophical differences."  Just as training camp is really picking up?  Not exactly an encouraging sign.

And the league owners gave approval for the sale to the Broncos.  Ugh.  But it was largely foregone, I suppose.

22 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So the Bengals got a new naming deal for the stadium.  Paycor Stadium.  Now there's one that rolls off the tongue......

Mike Brown admitted recently that this move is directly tied to the guaranteed money that will be needed to pay Joe Burrow.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Mike Brown admitted recently that this move is directly tied to the guaranteed money that will be needed to pay Joe Burrow.

......while also keeping those lovely profits intact.

Yeah, I'm a little cynical whenever I hear an owner moaning about money.......especially after a Super Bowl appearance.

ESPN is reporting that the NFL is appealing, at least in part, because they consider each case to be a separate violation of the conduct policy...so, 4 violations, not one.

While I get it, isn't that something to bring up before the arbiter?  If they did, and she still said "6 weeks"...they're overturning.  If they didn't, or didn't do it clearly or forcefully...that's their mistake.  Appeals don't give you a second chance to fix your tactical argument.

Hey, we all know the Bengals' history.  Lose the SB, go back into their shell for multiple years.  I mean, sure, I believe in SB hangovers, but they're not supposed to last multiple years...

So no need to diss the Bengals;  history says they'll do that to themselves.

Besides, the list of teams *totally* worthy of rejection and disdain is...rather extensive.  The Bengals can be slotted in Mostly Harmless.

No Bengals diss intended. I was just thinking that of one were cheering for the Browns (for whatever reason), it just wouldn't make sense to suddenly start rooting for the Bengals instead, evening your team did hire a QB of questionable moral character. It would be like me deciding to become a Raiders fan. 

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

There's nothing wrong with that.  Indeed, there is a common thread of self inflicted futility, you'll feel right at home.

But hey, self inflicted futility is the hallmark of half the teams in the league.

And then there's the Jets.  They have plenty of self-inflicted futility, and now you can add losing their big #1 pick OT....which may have been at least partly self-inflicted.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34374198/new-york-jets-coach-robert-saleh-says-mekhi-becton-season-likely-knee-injury

PFT on the Watson ruling:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/12/is-today-the-day-peter-harvey-rules-on-the-deshaun-watson-appeal/

They're postulating a basically disgusting, rather petty batch of legal maneuvers and counters, in the event of a 1 year ban.  

IMO it's worth reading all the way.  The story shows why, IMO, this case is going to explode in the league's face HARD, down the line.

Evening update:  no word yet.  Watson issues an apology...eek.  Sorry boyo, it's WAY too late for any lame attempt.  And it's REAL weak.  "I'm sorry for the decisions that I made that put me into this position."  Uhhh....huh.  Browns are apparently ready to accept 8 games and a $5M fine...who cares what THEY'RE prepared to accept?  I don't believe they have any standing in this process.  

Fans in Jacksonville apparently ROUNDLY booed him...despite, as one might expect, rather a sparse crowd.  

Looks like Watson was in only for a couple series.  1/5 for 7 yards.  Yeah...3 series.  Looks like -4 total yards...lots of penalties is part of it, but still.  Josh Dobbs comes in for 4th series, 3/3 for 28 yards, a 41 yard run...net, a 70+ yard TD drive.  

The only thing better than Watson getting suspended, is him looking HORRIBLE.  THEN suspended.

After spending part of the offseason as an unexpected meme, Zack Wilson may now miss the opening of the season with the knee injury.

Zach Wilson injury: Jets' QB suffers bone bruise and meniscus tear, expected to miss 2-4 weeks, per report

A torn meniscus is not nothing, but it's better than a torn ACL.