2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

13 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

If he really wanted to spit in the eyes of the Haslems, he'd put the hated Bengals on his list. Or "da Bears".

A lot of Browns fans still hate the Broncos for what Elway did to them back in January of '87. So that's a possibility, too.

Of course, as Old Man correctly pointed out, he'd have to be a special kind of crazy to be a Broncos fan, even of the bandwagon variety.

The Donkeys are playing Jacksonville in London on Halloween Eve.

As I recall, the last time Denver played in London, there was a videotaping controversy. But it did ultimately result in the firing of He Who Must Not Be Named, so I suppose it turned out all right in the end.

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

Its an interesting experiment. I wonder how much difference it.will make, and what the players will think of it.

USFL announces new running clock for first and third quarters, hopes to keep future games under three hours

I don't see a problem.  Remember that the NFL has a running clock when a play goes out of bounds.  One qualification:  it could matter at the end of the quarters, due to flipping directions/ends of the field.  Otherwise, there's no impact on the players, save to make for probably somewhat fewer plays per game.  What matters to them is the play clock, and if the USFL is operating similarly to the NFL, that restarts fairly quickly.

The NFL is going to have to be worried about these, tho.  If there's substance to them, this'll be the 2nd organization.  It's easy to downplay Washington when it stood alone, but this brings up a specter that it's more pervasive.  This, atop the racist issues and flagrant disregard for league rules with the minority coach hires.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Toxic environment? Off-season drama? Are we talking about the same Raiders franchise here?

* munches popcorn *

This is why the Derps are endlessly entertaining, in the way that train wrecks are endlessly entertaining. The Browns have been trying to steal our thunder lately, but only the Raiders have mastered the Raiders Way. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

...the Raiders Way. 

So, to use martial arts parlance, would that be "Raider-Do"?

Or maybe "Raider-D'oh!"

All kidding aside, I do hope the Raiders get everything figured out. They're a proud franchise with a rich history. Having said that, I don't think hiring He Who Must Not Be Named as head coach is really a step in the right direction. Although I doubt he could be worse than the guy you started the season with last year.

39 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So, to use martial arts parlance, would that be "Raider-Do"?

Or maybe "Raider-D'oh!"

All kidding aside, I do hope the Raiders get everything figured out. They're a proud franchise with a rich history. Having said that, I don't think hiring He Who Must Not Be Named as head coach is really a step in the right direction. Although I doubt he could be worse than the guy you started the season with last year.

Bad NFL coaching hires are a dime a dozen.  I'll grant...Chucky's was up there with Potato Chip Kelly, and not too far behind The Ultimate Disaster, Urban Meyer.  

I'm just fine with the Raiders wallowing in the swamp.  The history you mention died, far as I'm concerned, with the first move to LA.

In other news...I missed this, until a promo blurb during Bucks-Celts.  Buck and Aikman both bailed on Fox;  Aikman first, as his contract was up, then Buck...becoming the new MNF broadcasters, and oh by the way, splitting just $33M between them.  They may need food stamps to get by....

ESPN's got to do something.  They're paying an obscene amount for the rights;  what they're paying the booth talent is a pittance relative to the rights costs.  Ratings were up nicely...but still about 40-50% lower than SNF.  I think they're expecting another bump with this;  I liked Levy, Riddick, and Griese, but Griese is the QB coach for the Niners.  ESPN's *bombed* with so many of their booth teams...Tessitore isn't great on football, McDonough does college far better;  Witten and Booger were disasters.  Even Gruden was a mixed bag...dropped good points sometimes but he was also really irritating quite often.  And going back further, there were the Kornheiser and Dennis Miller debacles.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned that last one, without warning you in advance.  Hope you hadn't eaten too recently....

I read yesterday that Pete Carroll said Drew Lock would've been the first quarterback taken in this year's draft.

He may be right ... but I see that more as of an indictment of this year's QB class than as an endorsement of Lock. Damnation by faint praise and all that. 

The full league schedule comes out tomorrow. Two Broncos games I do know about:

• Against the Jaguars in London in October
  • Against the Rams in LA on Christmas day

As I recall, the Broncos weren't on MNF at all last season. With Russell Wilson in town, I'd expect that to change.

Hope he does well for you guys; I'll remember his tenure here fondly no matter what.  His salary made for a powerful constraint on what else the Squawks could do, salary-wise, notably including an offensive line that could keep Russ healthy.  Ultimately they decided that keeping him would keep the team in an extended state of mediocrity, so they dealt him for what they could get.  There are some folks here saying that the Broncos got fleeced, others still wailing in despair about the best QB in franchise history being sent off.  I've been too busy thinking about other matters to have formed an opinion.

I don't think the Seahawks had much choice with Wilson.  The salary situation...they were actually $11M under the cap.  Question was really, whether the rest of the roster was ready to compete.  I'm also not sure they know the direction they want to take.

It's also just very tough to stop a talent slide after a burst of high-level success.  Winning consistently in modern American sports is RARE.

The Denver Broncos, who didn't play on Monday Night Football at all last year, as I recall, will open this year playing on Monday night in week 1. At Seattle.

That's probably just a coincidence, though.