2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

There are bridges near whatever they are calling the stadium where the Squawks play this week, but one hopes that a significant potion of the crowd gets there via public transportation.  Mind you, I haven't been to an NFL game this century...

Most of the major sporting venues in Salt Lake City are easily accessible by public transportation these days. The one notable exception is the speed skating complex from the 2002 Winter Games, which still sees an awful lot of use, both locally and professionally.

The dysfunctionality of the Raiders is, apparently, even more extensive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/sports/football/las-vegas-raiders.html

If you can't read it, it's in everything.  Financial messups/no oversight.  They failed to pay the electric bill and got the power cut off, in their temp offices right after the move.  Overpaying their taxes, underpaying staff.  Whistleblower violations.  The story paints a picture of a complete train wreck.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

The dysfunctionality of the Raiders is, apparently, even more extensive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/sports/football/las-vegas-raiders.html

If you can't read it, it's in everything.  Financial messups/no oversight.  They failed to pay the electric bill and got the power cut off, in their temp offices right after the move.  Overpaying their taxes, underpaying staff.  Whistleblower violations.  The story paints a picture of a complete train wreck.

The Raiders are nothing if not consistent.

29 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It may be worse than that.

NFL insider suggests Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis could be forced to sell

I'm not sure how valid this specific insider report is, is the fact that anybody's talking about it all is noteworthy.

Same thought had crossed my mind.  The improprieties alone...might not force the sale, but if there have been retaliatory firings, that's getting very serious.  Mark Davis HAD to know about those.  

Another factor here is simply the breadth now, of misconduct.  Goodell's first charge is Defend the Shield.  These are threatening the shield, and there may be a need to take more serious action than would've been the norm just a few years ago.

Story also points out that Al's widow is still alive...but in her 90s.  Even with good health today, at that age, things can turn badly very quickly.  Estate taxes come due on her portion...and that will be massive.  The Broncos sale, after Bowlen died, was complicated by some unusual business-related aspects, but no matter what, it's easier to sell a massive asset while everyone's still alive, rather than involve probate.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

It may be worse than that.

NFL insider suggests Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis could be forced to sell

I'm not sure how valid this specific insider report is, is the fact that anybody's talking about it all is noteworthy.

This being the Raiders, who would be the perfect buyer?  Some Russian oligarch? Elon Musk?  Vince McMahon?

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

This being the Raiders, who would be the perfect buyer?  Some Russian oligarch? Elon Musk?  Vince McMahon?

Whoever can make the Chewbacca Defense work for them and get them off.

The fan, who claims he was shocked to learn that he would have to go to New Jersey to watch the games when he bought tickets, is heading a class action lawsuit seeking $2 billion dollars in actual damages and $4 billion in punitive damages.

Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

Heck, for $6 billion, he could buy one of those teams.

The folks over at Uni-Watch have been doing a "What If...?" series based on the alternate reality in which the USFL's lawsuit in the late 1980s had the desired effect of forcing a merger between the two leagues. This new Mega-NFL has 40 teams, and the treatment looks at what the league (and more to the point, the teams' uniforms) would have looked like back then and today. Entertaining stuff.

What If the NFL and USLF merged in 1987?

Part I (1987 teams and divisions)

Part II (1987 relocations, renames, updates, and uniforms for new teams)

Part III (2022 uniforms Arizona Outlaws - Los Angeles Chargers)

Part IV (2022 uniforms Los Angeles Rams - Washington Commanders)

Their proposed uniform for today's Denver Broncos:

12-DenverBroncosHomeUni22-764x1024.jpg

I've seen worse. 

10 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Those are actually good signings. Suh hasn't been in trouble in years and is a good short term solution at DT. Clowney was with the team last year so they know him and he's a good bookend rusher for Myles Garrett. 

Yes, but inevitably, the Browns will Brown.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

The fan, who claims he was shocked to learn that he would have to go to New Jersey to watch the games when he bought tickets, is heading a class action lawsuit seeking $2 billion dollars in actual damages and $4 billion in punitive damages.

Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

Heck, for $6 billion, he could buy one of those teams.

My guess is, I wouldn't want to be on the plaintiff's legal team in front of the judge, trying to justify filing this suit.  The story, IMO, characterizes the suit nicely...a legal distraction.  The Giants moved there in 1976, and the Jets in '84.  The claims are fatuous.  And judges don't like that.  

So I'm just watching the end of the Stallions / Stars game, and it's got me thinking. We're 5 weeks in, and nobody has mentioned folding the league yet. That's better than the AAF or the XFL were able to do. If the league makes it through the full season, might this be a sustainable model for spring football?

What I mean by that, specifically, is pick one city and hold training camps and the regular season there. This year it was Birmingham. Next year it might be New Orleans, or Pittsburgh, or Houston. Whatever. Rotate it every year.

I can't imagine this league is making much money from gate receipts, but the TV numbers appear to be okay. If TV revenue is the main money maker, does it really matter where all the action takes place?

I doubt it's sustainable, in the 'bubble' model.  As you note, gate receipts are likely low.  Correction:  non-existent is closer.  From the wiki USFL article:

The choice of Birmingham as the league's sole city led to substantial crowds for the Birmingham Stallions and to very small crowds for games involving only teams named after other cities and states. The opening-week matchup between the Tampa Bay Bandits and Pittsburgh Maulers, rescheduled to Monday night, was played in an almost entirely empty stadium.[2] USA Today reported that during the Week 2 matchup between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, crowd shots included more Fox broadcast staff members than fans.[3]

You can't build home-town, grass roots support...which probably translates to lower merch sales.  (And likely lower ratings as teams get eliminated.  There's no baseline support.)  Good question in my mind is, how expensive is this for the teams?  It might not be that bad, in that they can negociate some pretty darn good rates, you'd think, and they have effectively 0 travel expenses, but still...the clubs are paying room and board for this entire stretch.  (Which may make for a problem for some of the players down the line...because those are probably taxable benefits.)  

Another concern would be whether the players will go for it.  For this year?  Yeah, OK, but anyone with a family is largely separated from them.

I haven't watched any, but...how's the turf holding up?  With so many games every week, that would seem to be a major issue.  

Last, I don't see an NFL city risking antagonizing the far bigger cash cow.  

I was just looking at the Broncos' schedule for the upcoming year, and I couldn't help but notice this five-game stretch between December 4th and January 1st:

• at Ravens
  • vs. Chiefs
  • vs. Cardinals
  • at Rams
  • at Chiefs

Yikes.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I was just looking at the Broncos' schedule for the upcoming year, and I couldn't help but notice this five-game stretch between December 4th and January 1st:

• at Ravens
  • vs. Chiefs
  • vs. Cardinals
  • at Rams
  • at Chiefs

Yikes.

Well, look at it this way.  They'll probably be out of the race before that stretch even starts, so you don't have to sweat it.  5 straight losses can only help their draft position at that point.

<hides alllll the knives, just in case....>

Also, it may not be *quite* that bad.  Rams, who really knows?  They lost quite a bit, and the Super Bowl Hangover does happen.  Cards...is everyone really on the same page there?  Chiefs twice...yeah, ok, forget those.  Ravens are a bad hit away from mediocre.