2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

4 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Snyder's such an idiot.

Is he though?  So far he has escaped any serious consequences and still owns an NFL team.  Total fines for a legendary history of harassment were 4% of the team's annual profits for one year.  The park ranger who blew the whistle on his illegal clearcutting had his career destroyed.  This latest scandal should piss off the NFL and Congress and the IRS so maybe it'll stick, but I'm not holding my breath.

32 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Is that due to his brain power or the fact that he's a white billionaire?

Perhaps I'm being overly cynical. 

No, I'm the one being cynical here.  Snyder is fully aware that he gets to play by a different set of rules, and is taking advantage.

Watson's hearing is set to begin Tuesday.

That *should* mean an initial decision before the Browns open training camp, which is set for the 22nd for rookies...26th for vets.  There is a right of appeal...but that's to Goodell.  This is a hearing, tho, held before the disciplinary officer joinitly selected by the league and the players association...so it strikes me as unlikely that any appeal will work.

Reports are that the league's pushing for indefinite suspension, but at least a year.  I could live with a year;  I'd rather it was longer, but that's hard to pull off.  And if he continues, or the remaining trials make it warranted...it can be longer.

13 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Let's start the chant now...

Life...Time...Ban!

Life...Time...Ban!

(OK, that's never gonna happen, but we can dream.)

Plus...the Texans being complicit in arranging this is relatively new.  I haven't heard of the league planning to address *that*.  Figure they will, tho.  This doesn't rise to the level of Snyder/Washington, but if they are complicit as facilitators?  *SMACK!!!*

There's a linked opinion piece to that story...subscribers only.  But here's the head and lead:

NFL owners' filth has stained Roger Goodell, and he may no longer be useful | Opinion

Commissioner Roger Goodell has long been a shield for NFL owners, but after years of protecting Dan Snyder and others, he may be too damaged for them.

Goodell got hammered in the hearings, so...I could see this.  His contract expires in March 2024.  I don't think the owners would try to boot him at this point, but...I could see them deciding to make a change, to try to put these ugly scandals behind em.  Not like Roger'd need to go on food stamps.  Forbes estimates he'd be the 6th highest paid CEO.......among Standard & Poor's 500 companies.  (That may be misleading...salary only, not stock options, for example.  Still...)  He's estimated to be worth a tidy $200M...NOT counting close to $130M in salary for the next 2 years.

For $60M a year, I can put up with a lot of BS.

Condoleezza Rice, perhaps?  She might not want it, and likely is older than they'd want at 67.  But, some of the problem with Goodell could be ascribed to tenure;  he's been in place for 16 years.  So...4 years, 4 year extension, the retire?  

Even if it is a crap job, I don't think there will be any shortage of applicants.

Baker Mayfield, on camera:  "I think it's pretty obvious the mutual decision on both sides is to move on."

No surprise, just confirmation.  And once that's coming out in public, it seems basically impossible to backtrack.

Nothing notable on the Watson hearing.  It's expected to continue, with a decision by the end of the week.

Hoping for the best..............

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

A meteor striking a certain Browns QB football player that's not Mayfield counts as "best", right?

Oh, come now, we need something more inventive to call "the best"....and do we wanna let him off that easy?

I'm not sure it's possible to maximize the degree to which both Watson and the Browns get hosed, at the same time.  If really ugly details come out?  The Browns next year are NOT on the hook for the full $46M, it's all base salary.  They'd be on the hook for the bonuses, which is $9M a year.  Still a fair bit to just sink.

You didn't mention when, either.  The recent angle...what were the Texans doing?  They slip off the hook, most likely, if Watson dies, or is unable to participate.  Hey, who knows...if he's suspended for the year, and the appeal is rejected or denied quickly, there is no reason to delay the litigation until the off-season, so let's hear as much as we can, and maybe Watson gets a lifetime ban, and gets stuck for millions more for the rest of the cases...AND the Texans get double teamed, paying for the civil cases, then getting *hammered* by the league.

55 minutes ago, Old Man said:

What did Jacoby Brissett do to deserve that?  ;)

He got a SB ring for sitting on his backside all year...well, most of it.  With the *Pats*.  The year Brady started the year under suspension for Deflategate.  He came in for a couple games after Jimmy G got hurt in week 2.

Some things cling longer than others......when I want them to. :)

Autopsy shows Demaryius Thomas had stage 2 CTE when he died, per family members.  Story, and stages outlined:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/07/05/cte-explained-symtpoms-stages-nfl/7812410001/

I doubt anyone's terribly surprised;  it's more confirmation of what we suspected.  Still doesn't help the league, given how young he was, and given it'd gotten that advanced.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Autopsy shows Demaryius Thomas had stage 2 CTE when he died, per family members.  Story, and stages outlined:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/07/05/cte-explained-symtpoms-stages-nfl/7812410001/

I doubt anyone's terribly surprised;  it's more confirmation of what we suspected.  Still doesn't help the league, given how young he was, and given it'd gotten that advanced.

One of the links at the bottom of that article mentioned that Vincent Jackson, who I hadn't even realized had passed away, also had stage 2 CTE when he died in February. 

I had both Jackson and Thomas on various fantasy teams.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

One of the links at the bottom of that article mentioned that Vincent Jackson, who I hadn't even realized had passed away, also had stage 2 CTE when he died in February. 

I had both Jackson and Thomas on various fantasy teams.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.

I think I'd heard about Jackson...but didn't hear the CTE confirmation, I don't think.  Either way, yeah, I'd forgotten.  Jackson was all of 38.  

Next time you feel like screaming about a player getting ejected for a dubious helmet-to-helmet, you might want to remember these two...