my MMM color versions

Storn

The nice folks at DOJ let me post 3 or 4 images per book. I happened to do the MMM art in color, because I think it translates into gray scale with lots of subltle tones. Also known as "happy accidents".

So, now that MMM is out, I thought I would share with y'all what the color art looks like.

I like them too ... though I like the Hobgoblin best. Not sure why ... because he's in a pose that seems to give off more intelligence than most would ascribe to a hobgoblin. I guess it just catches my eye ... whereas the others are kinda ... "yeah, that makes sense."

Please, folks, lets not dredge up the color print thang again....

.. I do these color not to pressure DOJ or make y'all wishful, but because its helpful for me. It allows me to work on my color skills. It creates happy accidents in the grayscale. And it allows me to post color on the forums to advertise a bit for myself and for DOJ. Maybe they can show up on the sidebars... that's all.

Re: my MMM color versions

Originally posted by Storn

The nice folks at DOJ let me post 3 or 4 images per book. I happened to do the MMM art in color, because I think it translates into gray scale with lots of subltle tones. Also known as "happy accidents".

So, now that MMM is out, I thought I would share with y'all what the color art looks like.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Hey Storn,

Very nice images. Has there been any thought put into selling electronic collections of all the images from a given product in the Online Store, or even for free in galleries like WotC does?

I'd certainly purchase (or download) them for use as hand outs, or to help illustrate an encounter, or to shrink down and turn into stand-up counters. Just a thought.

Quasar

Earth's Mightiest Hero

Originally posted by Quasar

Hey Storn,

Very nice images. Has there been any thought put into selling electronic collections of all the images from a given product in the Online Store, or even for free in galleries like WotC does?

I'd certainly purchase (or download) them for use as hand outs, or to help illustrate an encounter, or to shrink down and turn into stand-up counters. Just a thought.

Quasar

Earth's Mightiest Hero

Not my call. DOJ owns the artwork.

I think this has come up before and the short answer is no. The gentle answer is that DOJ is small and the return on the amount of work it would take to put such a package would probably be small. I think they would rather spend the time getting the next book out.

I do know that DOJ has publically said that Shades of Black pdf, which got rave reveiws, did very poorly. And every time I see posts here or over on RPGnet about "art in gaming and do you use it".. it really comes down to the art users are a minority. Even in something as art centric is a superhero comicbook emulation. I wish that weren't so, but I've heard over and over "I don't even look at the pictures in the rulebook". So, there doesn't seem to be widespread interest in a gaming product like that.

So I took the time out to post them. So y'all can see them too. You're getting them for free...

Not every illustration that I do for Hero is in color, but some of them are. I don't want to be put into a place, without compensation, of having to do color for every illustration. If I *want* to do color and time permits great. It is easy to translate it to grayscale, but it is extra time and work that I have to put in. How many artists have you heard of willing to do color artwork for interior price rates?

I appreciate your interest. And maybe if there is enough interest and DOJ can make money in a decent ratio to the work involved, can protect their property...after all, the artwork is their property... it might happened. But I don't think anytime soon. But keep campaigning for it... it might happen down the line.

Originally posted by Quasar

Hey Storn,

Good Idea. Pictures of monsters are not much good without stats, unless you want to spend hours and hours creating them. LOL :o

Originally posted by Galadorn

Good Idea. Pictures of monsters are not much good without stats, unless you want to spend hours and hours creating them. LOL :o

You sound like you may have missed my point. I'm not talking about a book of pictures, or that they don't release the books like they normally do. What I am suggesting is making the JPEG files of the artwork available free, or as a purchasable download from this site for those of us who want to use the artwork for our games in one way or another. I might not even use it for Hero games, but D&D. :eek:

Quasar

The Earth's Mightiest Hero

I think that DoJ is far more careful with its intellectual property. They are a young company with limited resources and are rightfully being very cautious. It's easy to control their IP right now. If they were to release the type of products you are describing, and later decide it was a mistake, it's hard to put the cat back in the bag, so to speak.

OTOH, they are very generous in allowing artists to post small samples of their published work. I recently colorized some of the artwork I did for the FH Grimoire (Kind of backwards to Storn's situation.) If anyone would like to see them, I'll go ahead and post a few.

Keith "yet another artist" Curtis

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by keithcurtis

I recently colorized some of the artwork I did for the FH Grimoire (Kind of backwards to Storn's situation.) If anyone would like to see them, I'll go ahead and post a few.

Keith "yet another artist" Curtis

A chant rises from the herophiles ringing throughout all of herodome. . . POST POST POST!

:)

Bob "Id really like that Keith" Pennington

Originally posted by Storn

And every time I see posts here or over on RPGnet about "art in gaming and do you use it".. it really comes down to the art users are a minority. Even in something as art centric is a superhero comicbook emulation. I wish that weren't so, but I've heard over and over "I don't even look at the pictures in the rulebook".

Wow.

I had no idea I was so much in the minority on this. I almost never get into a game that doesn't have good art.

I don't "use it" in the sense of passing it out to players or whatnot, but the look of a game setting hugely influences my feel for a campaign.

I don't care for a game with poor production values, but I don't particularly pay attention to the art either, good or bad. Good art is wonderful for the first couple of weeks, but unless it's truly stunning, it vanishes after awhile. In particular I never use pregenerated campaign worlds. So the only pertinent art in a game book is the generic stuff, which my players can imagine with ease. (Admittedly bad art does stand out for a lot longer.)

For me good art exists to market the book. That's no small consideration, but it doesn't affect me personally very much. I buy game books for their rules, period. Since I pretty much only game in Hero, marketing tactics are not needed to sell to me.

-AA

Originally posted by bcholmes

Wow.

I had no idea I was so much in the minority on this. I almost never get into a game that doesn't have good art.

I don't "use it" in the sense of passing it out to players or whatnot, but the look of a game setting hugely influences my feel for a campaign.

Well, BC, I guess were a minority of at least 2. I'm a huge comics fan (although I no longer buy the "stuff" that's coming out now, I did collect and read for 15 years) and comics are, first and foremost, a visual medium. If you take away the pics, you have an incomplete novel. In Champions I'm simulating a comic book story. Therefore, I want pics. I want to be able to show the players what the characters, locations, vehicles look like. I use maps and minis as well. If we had holo-technology, I'd use that too. I want to "see" the game. That goes for my gamebooks as well. "Show it too me." :)

Originally posted by bcholmes

Wow.

I can't count the number of times from my old D&D days that the GM would say something along the lines of "You see this!" and turn the Monster Manual around to show us what we were about to kill for its treasure.

I think people may SAY they don't look at the art, but it I believe it influences them nevertheless. Ask any 1st ed. AD&D player what a kobold looks like and they'll describe a little runty lizard-dog thing, not a (mytho-)historical house elf/gnome.

Keith "or am I missing the point?" Curtis