MLB 2023

unclevlad

Semi-freaky stat of the night...

We're at pretty much the halfway mark of the season, and the Angels had only 1 walk-off win.  On a wild pitch.

1-1, bottom of the 9th.  Trout gets on;  Ohtani forces a walk.  None out, the relief pitcher ignores them.  Trout breaks, the pitch is a breaking ball in the dirt.  Trout was already diving into 3rd, and it's debatable if the ball got far enough away anyway.  One has to be VERY sure there...2nd and 3rd with none out is too good a chance.  The batter strikes out...then Mike Moustakas comes up.

The pitcher, yes indeed, bounces another...and Trout dives in safe.

2nd walk-off.  ALSO on a wild pitch.

Cue the Toccata and Fugue in D minor....

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Semi-freaky stat of the night...

We're at pretty much the halfway mark of the season, and the Angels had only 1 walk-off win.  On a wild pitch.

1-1, bottom of the 9th.  Trout gets on;  Ohtani forces a walk.  None out, the relief pitcher ignores them.  Trout breaks, the pitch is a breaking ball in the dirt.  Trout was already diving into 3rd, and it's debatable if the ball got far enough away anyway.  One has to be VERY sure there...2nd and 3rd with none out is too good a chance.  The batter strikes out...then Mike Moustakas comes up.

The pitcher, yes indeed, bounces another...and Trout dives in safe.

2nd walk-off.  ALSO on a wild pitch.

Cue the Toccata and Fugue in D minor....

As an angel fan, I will take wins any way I can get them. And given that in previous years the Angels have lost on walkoffs where the throw back to the pitcher bounced off his glove and the guy on third scored and another game where the relief pitcher dropped the ball, it hit the mound and bounced all the way to the dugout allowing the man on third to score (strangely, both against the A's and I believe same season) I do not regret any way we win.

Edited by slikmar

Domingo German tosses a PERFECT GAME!  Just finished it. 

Even if he does pitch for the Yankees, those are always amazingly cool.  99 pitches.  72!!!! strikes.  Excellent breaking stuff.  Got to 3-1 against batter #24...4 straight breaking balls to get him in the end. 

Oh my.  For that touch of poignancy?  His uncle died 2 days ago........

Yes, and now here are the detractions you have put in.

A ) was against the A's, who field a AAA team at best right now.

B ) This is the guy who TWICE this season was caught with extra sticky stuff on his hands - ejected once, allowed to pitch the other.

Just Saying. but still, is an amazing feat.

Wow.   Threshold stat of the year.

Pirates beat Padres 5-4 today.  Puts the Padres at 37-44.

MLB Network crawl, during the Yankees-A's game, gives the score and points out....

47th time the Padres have scored 4 runs or less.

They're 7-40.

Which means scoring 5+, they're 30-4.

Got me to looking.

Padres are 37-44, but +19 run differential.

Cubs are 37-41, +25 run diff.

Twins are 40-42, +24 run diff.

I read that as those teams find ways to give up leads late, and thus lose too many close games.  And...yeah, there's a story on MLB.com from June 24th.  Padres blew out Nats in 2 straight games, scoring 10, then 13.  But the story notes they were 5-13 in 1 run games, and 0-6 in extra inning games, at that point.  5-14 now, which is also the worst record in 1 run games in the league.  The Rockies are 13-9.  The A's are 13-16.  The Royals are 11-10.  That's the 3 worst records in the league.

On 7/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, Cancer said:

Huh.  MLB All-Star Game is here in Seattle next week.  Shows how much attention I've been paying.

It's baseball.  How much attention SHOULD you pay, before September anyway?

FREAKISH piece of trivia from tonight's D'backs game.  4 different times, they've had pitchers with 10+ wins by the All Star break.

All 4 are named Zac(k).  Zack Greinke had 10, twice;  Zack Godley had 11 once.  Zac Gallen has 10...and is up 7-1 after pitching 7 solid innings.

EDIT:  second piece of trivia...yeah, it's a 7-1 game in the 8th.  D'backs bring in a 21 year old kid to pitch, making his first big league appearance.  Throws 100+, but somewhat wild, so gotta love the cushion of a 6 run lead.  Anyway, turns out...he's the 23,004th different player to play in the majors...so they just missed.  #23,000 was a pitcher for Baltimore, on July 3rd.  

That's a lotta ballplayers.....

Kid walks first batter...strikes out the 2nd.  Save that ball!

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Umm...Elle de la Cruz stole 2nd, 3rd and home in the same inning tonight.

Nuff said.

In *2 pitches* no less.  On June 4th, the Reds were 26-33;  they've gone 24-7 since (!!!!).  They've gone from afterthought to one of the hottest watches in the game. 

Detroit Tigers used 3 pitchers...starter went 6 2/3, bridge guy got 4 outs, closer for the 9th...for a 2-0 no-hitter.  And this was vs. Toronto, not Oakland.

So which one wins Feat of the Day?  CLOSE call in my book.  Complete game no hitter, I'd have to give priority, simply given the rarity of complete games these days.  But 3 steals in 2 pitches is pure insanity.  

It also brings up:  I've seen QUITE a few steals of home this year.  I have baseball on the TV quite often, as a distraction.  I think there were entire seasons I didn't see any attempted steals of home, but this year?  I think I can remember...4?  In the last month or so?  Some of this has to be the limited disengagement/throw over rules, but I think another factor is, this has brought up just how BAD many pitchers are at holding runners on.  Playing Launch Angle Long Ball was likely a *serious* factor in making teams HIGHLY risk-averse, in stealing bases at all, much less home.  There are still teams that do that, but several teams have adjusted and are willing to play Small Ball.  

Diamondbacks have come back down from their June run.  Lost 8 of 11 in July.  Worse, scored 7 once, 5 once...ok...but 3 runs twice.  Yeah, 7 times, 2 runs or less.  Game yesterday in Toronto...the 2 they did score, were by a whisker.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out.  Ground ball to second, but the Toronto 1st baseman moves a step or two too far trying to field it.  He tries to get back to the bag, the pitcher's trying to cover.  1st baseman has the ball...his foot is coming down *just* as the runner's foot is, as well.

Call went to appeal.  SOOOO close that whatever the call on the field was, was gonna stand, it was way too close to overrule.  Batter called safe.  The runner on 2nd was heads up and scored.  

But that was it.

Same thing with game 1 of the series, Friday.  Bad baserunning...both sides, actually, but more by the D'backs.  Repeatedly failing to get the key hit with RISP.  Dodgers have now surged into 1st...again.  Next 6 games?  In Atlanta, in Cincy.  Reds might've cooled off some, too, but they're an incredibly dangerous offensive ballclub now, and given the scoring issues...not a good arrangement.  

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Diamondbacks have come back down from their June run.  Lost 8 of 11 in July.  Worse, scored 7 once, 5 once...ok...but 3 runs twice.  Yeah, 7 times, 2 runs or less.  Game yesterday in Toronto...the 2 they did score, were by a whisker.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out.  Ground ball to second, but the Toronto 1st baseman moves a step or two too far trying to field it.  He tries to get back to the bag, the pitcher's trying to cover.  1st baseman has the ball...his foot is coming down *just* as the runner's foot is, as well.

Call went to appeal.  SOOOO close that whatever the call on the field was, was gonna stand, it was way too close to overrule.  Batter called safe.  The runner on 2nd was heads up and scored.  

But that was it.

Same thing with game 1 of the series, Friday.  Bad baserunning...both sides, actually, but more by the D'backs.  Repeatedly failing to get the key hit with RISP.  Dodgers have now surged into 1st...again.  Next 6 games?  In Atlanta, in Cincy.  Reds might've cooled off some, too, but they're an incredibly dangerous offensive ballclub now, and given the scoring issues...not a good arrangement.  

Wait, are you sure that A doesn't stand for Angels? Sounds just like them.

3 minutes ago, Rails said:

I have no idea what you all are talking about.  As a Cardinals fan, I maintain that MLB cancelled this season and no games are being played.  🙂

Now you know how Angels fans feel every year.

But you haven't reached the azimuth of anguish yet...Rockies fans.......

Well...ok...the true pinnacle of pain, the deadline of daunting dismay is fast approaching for Angels fans.

Will Shohei still be an Angel come August 2nd?

Fox Sports, ESPN, MLB Network broadcasts...they've had the Angels quite a bit, and that's THE dominant topic.  Do you have a snowball's chance to keep Ohtani?  Can you let him walk as a free agent?  Can you trade away a player having arguably the single greatest season *ever* in baseball...DURING the season?

There's no good solution;  I'd even say there's no bad solution.  There are 2 diametrically opposed factors.  Keep Ohtani until you lose him this winter...disastrous for the team's future.  Trade Ohtani before he chooses to leave...the fan base will abandon you.  

Mets and Padres are in similar positions...but theirs isn't revolving around 1 player alone.

This weekend was especially painful as an Angel fan. Even after their disastrous 10 games going into the break, they have a 9 game homestand, 3 games against Houston, NY and Pittsburgh. win 2 of 3 against each and you are back in the picture realistically. Some of the IL, most specifically the rookie SS who, without being all-star level, somehow turned your season around before, is back as is the guy who was your early setup guy, Moore. Ohtani to start first game aaaannnnnd blister problem rears its ugly head after being staked to 2-0 and 4-2 leads he leaves giving up 5 runs with 1 out in 6th, and of course person out of bullpen proceeds to allow 2 more runs, in case we might have a comeback in us (our bullpen has been atrocious). Saturday, starter leaves after 6 innings and 4 runs, only down 1 run when reliever comes in and gives up 5 runs so another blown game except Angels come back and score 6 to tie game, but our bullpen not to be outdone immediately gives back 2 in 8th and 1 in ninth. But somehow Angels scrape 3 runs in 9th to tie and then our one consistent guy, Estevez, holds the 10th and on an error by Astros, who don['t make many, angels win in 10. Then sunday hoping saturday can be that type of game that gets a team going, and certainly looked it as Angels take a 7-3 lead into 8th. So our manager, who I think has made a lot of in game WTF moments, brings Estevez, who is 22 for 22 in closing, in the 8th (assuming to face top of order) and he proceeds to give up a 2r HR so now 7-5 and not available for 9th, so in comes Barria - bullpen era under 2, overall over 4 due to some bad starts) and he proceeds to give up 4 runs because we can never just give up 1 or 2 it feels like. Ohtani HR in 9th to lead off and final 9-8. So 26 runs in 3 games against team we are chasing and lost 2 of 3 giving up 28 runs and now instead of 4 out of playoff spot we are 6.

On a note, Angels will not trade Ohtani, the pr hit and the number of fans wanting refunds for tickets will be to huge. Also, I think Moreno thinks he can resign him.

And does anyone want a 3rd baseman who played the most games prior to signing a huge contract with us and has yet to play more then 30% of the games since then or hit over 240?

tl;dr version: For the first time in Yankees history, they held multiple leads of 2 or more runs in the 8th inning or later and lost.the game.

Colorado Rockies Cause New York Yankees to Do Something the Franchise Has Never Done Before

As a Rockies fan, any day you can beat the Yankees (or anyone, really) is a good day.

21 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

The Yankees are in last place. (Rays are in first.) But that division is so strong that even last place is above .500.

Or for more perspective, that division has the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th best records in the AL.  The other two are Texas and Houston.  Tampa Bay and Baltimore can be penciled in now;  Houston, Toronto, and Boston have the inside tracks, with 2 of the 3 making it, with the Yankees still there, but slipping.  Seattle...they need to make a big run.  If we project 90 wins to make the WC, they need to finish 43-26.  Pretty big ask, there.

Seattle, the hill's too tall.  Angels, too many injuries, too many basic problems.  Yankees were 36-25 on June 5th...right after Judge went out...but have gone 14-20 since.  And there's no indication he'll be back any time soon.  If they go 3-7, say, between now and the deadline, they'll likely be practically eliminated...too far back of too many teams, with too few games left to feel they have a real shot.  

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

Shohei Ohtani is a generational talent. For the love of all that is good and holy, don't let that man go the the Dodgers, Mets, or Yankees..

You obviously have not gotten the memo from MLB. Every generational player should go to the Yankees or Dodgers, otherwise whats the point. My brother got so frustrated sunday with the espn guys talking about Ohtani needing to be in a big market. Hey, idiots, the Angels are in the Los Angeles/Orange county area, one of the largest markets and the same one as the Dodgers. But what they all mean is he needs to be a Dodger or Yankee. They felt same about Trout when he signed his contract.