Tribute Game to Darren Watts

grandmastergm

Hello everyone,

I'm going to do a Tribute game for the late Darren Watts at Marmalade Dog, a local Michigan convention.  Do any of you have a list of the characters he made for Champions? Any pictures?  The intention is that these characters will be descendants of his Golden Age Champions team.

Please let me know.  I enjoyed gaming and talking Champions with him even if we had a regrettable falling out over politics.

First, I want to commend you on your very honorable gesture. :hail:

Most of the super characters in his Golden Age Champions source book were created by Darren or his players for his playtest campaigns, so that might be the best place to start. Darren often wrote in that book about the descendants or successors to those characters when noting their history after WW II, particularly during the Silver Age.

If you follow the link in my signature to my "Unique Character Origins" thread, you can scroll down to "Golden Age Legacies" and "The Vita-Man Clan," both firmly based on what Darren created for GAC. You could easily derive several present-day heroes from them.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:42 AM, Lord Liaden said:

First, I want to commend you on your very honorable gesture. :hail:

Most of the super characters in his Golden Age Champions source book were created by Darren or his players for his playtest campaigns, so that might be the best place to start. Darren often wrote in that book about the descendants or successors to those characters when noting their history after WW II, particularly during the Silver Age.

If you follow the link in my signature to my "Unique Character Origins" thread, you can scroll down to "Golden Age Legacies" and "The Vita-Man Clan," both firmly based on what Darren created for GAC. You could easily derive several present-day heroes from them.

All right, looking at his notes in both versions- it looks like we have:

Black Mask X (granddaughter of Black Mask VIII)- gadgeteer/martial artist

Prince Marus (son of Princess/Queen Mara)- aquatic

Dr. Ka (great-nephew of Dr. Twilight)- mystic
Meteor Man IV (great-grandson of Meteor Man I)- telekinetic

Liberty Lady (great-granddaughter of Vita-Man, great-grand-niece of Captain Patriot)- flying brick

Faultline (grandson of Quake Kid)- earth elemental

If I may offer an opinion, I don't think you need to link every character genetically to a Golden Age hero. There's a long tradition in comics, and certainly in the CU, of people who were proteges, or friends, or simply admirers of veteran heroes, to take up their identity after the hero retires or dies. None of the first three Meteor Mans were related to each other, and there's no suggestion the fourth and current one Darren mentioned in GAC, Owen Henry, is related to any of them either.

I would also suggest that since time on Champions Earth passes at a comparable rate to our world, there's probably a Black Mask 11 at this point. Jennifer Ward, aka Black Mask 10, was born in 1970, so is probably too long in the tooth to continue as a street-level crime fighter. It would make sense for her to have passed the identity on to her own younger partner Nocturne (see Champions Universe: News Of The World), until her son Ben is old enough to take up the family legacy (he was born December 2006). It wouldn't be the first time the identity had temporarily passed to someone other than the Ward lineage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 2:06 AM, Lord Liaden said:

If I may offer an opinion, I don't think you need to link every character genetically to a Golden Age hero. There's a long tradition in comics, and certainly in the CU, of people who were proteges, or friends, or simply admirers of veteran heroes, to take up their identity after the hero retires or dies. None of the first three Meteor Mans were related to each other, and there's no suggestion the fourth and current one Darren mentioned in GAC, Owen Henry, is related to any of them either.

I would also suggest that since time on Champions Earth passes at a comparable rate to our world, there's probably a Black Mask 11 at this point. Jennifer Ward, aka Black Mask 10, was born in 1970, so is probably too long in the tooth to continue as a street-level crime fighter. It would make sense for her to have passed the identity on to her own younger partner Nocturne (see Champions Universe: News Of The World), until her son Ben is old enough to take up the family legacy (he was born December 2006). It wouldn't be the first time the identity had temporarily passed to someone other than the Ward lineage.

You make good points, although I think I'll change their ages for the game that I have prepared (I'm adapting a scenario that I did in 2018 and 2019 at Origins and U-Con).  Totenkopf will have combined forces with Dr. Destroyer to effectively alter the timeline of World War II so that the Axis won.  So the heroes will be in a "Man in the High Castle" situation at the start of the game, only to discover that it's the work of a spell after noticing discrepancies in their memory and the environment around them- then travelling to the (secret) memorial/base of the Defenders of Justice, where they remember their true identities, heritages, and restore their powers.  They then have to confront Totenkopf and his forces.  Upon defeating them, Dr. Destroyer shows up to finish off the heroes when all of a sudden everything freezes- revealing that this was all the work of...Incubus.

The game ends with the PCs tricking Incubus into undoing his spell and restoring everything as the way it should be.

• 2 weeks later...