Champions Miniatures

bafzoul

All,

I was wondering if anyone else likes to use minatures for there Champions game. If so, have you asked (e-mailed) DOJ if they have any plans to release/license a line of Champions miniatures. I guess what I am trying to start is a petition to show DOJ how many people would love to have a line of Champions minatures. I know you can buy Superfigs, but that does not match the background of the Champions world. If you would love to be able to buy Champions miniatures, e-mail them and let them know.

I use Minis and a battlemat ... it's practically a necessity for me, 'cause there's no way I can keep track of who's going where, when and how without it! I have some old cardboard triangle minis from the old Marvel Supers RPG Advanced Set, the 4th Edition GM's Screen minis, a few HeroClix, and some Digimon minis that are about the right size.

Champions minis sound nifty, but I'm not sure how economically feasible they'd be ...

Well for minis there are currently Superfigs and Silver Age Sentinels lines in production and I think I remember there being at least one other.

Digital Hero featured a 2 part article dealing with where to find miniatures for Champions as well as how to modify ones that are close to fit your character more closely.

Personally while I like the metal minis and have an insane amount of them laying around for fantasy games that I need to paint, I would rather see DOJ get the licencing rights or create some new versions of the old superhero Cardboard Heros line. I think that Steve Jackson Games was the publisher for the old versions and has since discontinued them a packet of them was included with the 4th edition Champions GM Screen. The figures were great and I still use them in my games now. Plus the price cant be beat on it. Metal minis are $4 or more each now and you could probably get the whole pack of 50 (or so) of Cardboard Heros for $15-20.

It would even work as a digital file to purchase and just print out on cardstock.

Well thats just my two cents worth on it. I think they have a free download already that is close to what im talking about using some of Storn Cook's artwork.

We've always used cardboard squares with an icon for the characters or other important things. Started with the Cardboard Heros from Jackson games, then added with our own stuff.

Cereal boxes with paper (computer print out or xerox) glued on, then wrapped in clear packing tape make nice sturdy squares (or rectangles) that you can write on with vis-a-vis pens and can be sized for battlemat hexes.

Arise Cardboard Heroes!!

Actually that would be a good idea. They could easily do a VIPER/UNTIL pack for it using the characters and equipment from the newest expansions. We could finally get some of the mecha-viper robots or power armored suits figures.

I wonder if vehicles would work in the CH line as well?

Maybe if they could release them in sets to go along with the books published DOJ would consider the idea?

There are actually several threads on the subject if you search the COMPANY QUESTIONS forum. Essentially, Steve says they are not seeking out merchandizing on miniatures and it's not one of their areas but if someone reputable came along with an offer to manufacture then they'd consider it.

Since no one else has mentioned it, Heroclix has made a staggering number of DC and Marvel miniatures and there are nice generics like police, swat, superagents, emts and army. You can buy the specific ones you want for very low prices online. Repainting them to match your pcs is no worse than painting metal minis.

If that isn't your speed, card board heroes are the way to go. A nice selection of super types were included with the 4th edition GM screen. You can find it at various online gamestores from time to time.

For the record, I think Greypalladin's_1's suggestion of sourcebook specifc sets like Viper agents and vehicles, that you could download as pdfs is brilliant. I don't know what it would cost DOJ to do this but if they could for less than 9-10 dollars, I'm thinking $5.00, it could be a great side product.

Someone did this with some of Storn's artwork not long ago as a freebie and if they can do it for free maybe Doj can do it for cost or as a digital hero addition.

When I started to run Hero system I realized I was going to need miniatures in order to do combat well. I decided to use Heroclix

I eyed the superfigs for a while and thought about it like this..

I don't like to have unpainted minis on the table. Metal miniatures are far more expensive and I still have to paint them. Also, I work in a game store and tons of people by Heroclix. The people in my group were really not be comic readers. They new comics and read them a little. Also, I managed to get a lot of figures I didn't recognize. That was one goal. I also went for stylistic aspects (i.e. speedster, blaster, brick, etc.). We, as a group decided, it didn't really matter what clix-figure we used, as long as it was consistantly the same one. Each figure only cost me between $0.25 to $1. I wasn't going for uniques.. I was after the figure. Most of the players at the store I work at had tons of extras and were just glad to be rid of them.

If you aren't too picky you can get some really good figures for your super hero game. Sure it is spiderman on the table, but instead he is a figure with swinging. I often use the recognizable characters to immediately give people the impression of what his basic powers might be. That way we don't get confused. I really recommend hitting Hero-Clix players up for their extras.. that way you get what you want.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Count Zero

When I started to run Hero system I realized I was going to need miniatures in order to do combat well. I decided to use Heroclix

If you aren't too picky you can get some really good figures for your super hero game. Sure it is spiderman on the table, but instead he is a figure with swinging. I often use the recognizable characters to immediately give people the impression of what his basic powers might be. That way we don't get confused. I really recommend hitting Hero-Clix players up for their extras.. that way you get what you want.

Jonathan

Over the years, I have used a lot of different types of miniature figs to play Champons, both metal and plastic. I've never liked the 2D cardboard things.

But of late, I've gone the heroclix route, too. One advantage they have is that they are not difficult to customize. It's fairly easy, for example, to cut the gun off one fig and glue it to another, or even whole body parts. With a little paint, putty and an exato-knife, it's not too hard to create exactly the character you want. Of course, I enjoy this kind of thing. Probably too much trouble for those who don't. But I think it does add a certain something to the overall gaming experience.

I was raised in a group that used miniatures extensively. If you wanted twenty thugs to attack the heroes, you better paint them all up. So I love to paint and play with minis and I've found the lack of licenesed Champion figures no big trouble and have always modified or used existing figures to represent my characters. That said, the more figures the better.

Another option:

Go to Heromachine (a wonderful web tool for designing a hero)

Do a screen capture

Edit it (It can be done in paint)

Copy it

Past into word and size

Repeat till page has been filled (Change page dimensions to that of a Index card)

Print on Index card

Cut out

Glue to a penny

CUSTOM PAPER MINI

Somebody e-mailed me about this the other day. Due to my ongoing desktop accessibility and laptop e-mail problems, I could read the e-mail but not respond. Hopefully whoever that was is reading this thread. The answer is, of course, that we have no plans at this time to produce a line of metal miniatures for any of our games.

Champions minis would be great--but what would REALLY rock would be Champions Action Figures.

Even better would be a "CHAMPIONS SUPER-BATTLE SET" which would be plastic Champions minis, fully painted, on an electric football style battle-board. Set 'em up, turn on the power and watch the epic clash of good and evil unfold!

Yeah, I'd pay for one of those--but since it was my idea, I should get one for free. :)

I still have my set of Cardboard Heroes figures from the 4th Edition GM screen, plus the older version from SJG. Added to that, I either generate JPG's with a screen capture from Hero Machine or scan my own drawings and reduce them down to the correct size (1 1/4" tall) and make my own cardboard figures. Inexpensive, and easy to make many copies of henchmen, minions and such. It's great to have the actual character picture on the figure.

Champions

I guess there was some confusion to my inquiry. I know everyone uses subsitutes for metal miniatures, that's great. I was just curious if people would be interested in have METAL miniatures made for Champions, and if so, would there be a market for them.

Would there be a market? Of course. The fact that Superfigs is still in business shows us that. ;) BUT. Champs may be the oldest and maongst the most popular, but you're still talking about the equivalent of a serious niche market. Now inside that market, you also have folk that use none of the iconic characters at all. That's a percentage that seems to be a decently sized one as well. So...making up numbers here to cover folks using Hero to run Marvel or DC, their own worlds or what have you...

Let's say that 75% actually use the iconics. This in a niche game in a niche market. Most of them prefer to use cardboard figs and will have to do some level of converting to make PC's and new NPC's regardless. In the end, I htink you are looking at a pretty limited market.

I could be completely wrong of course, but Champs specific minis have always just done "okay" marketwise. Heck, are any of the companies that made them even still in business? Not that this was their downfall or anything, just saying is all.