What Would your Character do? #50

farik

The rest of your team (including sidekicks) has disappeared and they've been gone for months without any leads the "authorities" (whoever that would be) have approached you and would like you to assemble a new team to pick up the slack. How are you going to "recruit" the new team?

Mayday thinks carefully and then places an ad in next months Super Hero World magazine for applicants, with an Email address to receive a questionnaire listing such things as powers, age, skills, education and willingness to relocate to the area.

Over the next month she winnows down the several Million WannaBe entries and invites the top 30-50 to a quiet farm in Kansas miles from anywhere. Lodging, plane ticket and food provided.

At the farm she has set up interview schedules but also a scenario they have not been told of designed to test their heroism, humanity and ability to work with others. The farm will come under attack one night and the heroes will have to defend it and the NPC staff (volunteer soldiers or androids) from the 'threat' while she monitors them, as she has done all weekend. It isnt about winning although raw power helps, but how you play her game.

Dolphin: Que serra serra. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Contrarywise, if he is ment to be the leader of the new team, disciples will present themselves.

Millennium: Use goverment contacts to recruit solo heroes who have good relations with goverment agencies and/or law enforcement.

Cheetah: Contact suspected metahumans in pro/top level amature sports.

Snow Leopard: Use contacts in the mutant community and knowledge gained by being from the future.

Iron Will: "Any other metahumans at Space Camp? Why is the responsability for forming the new team on a 13 year old? I have Myasthenia Gravis, I don't need this stress! Can NASA put me in touch with any ET's living on Earth?" All while gadgeteering a metahuman locator or hidden power acentuator.

Starguard -- "You want me to what?"

She wouldn't have the slightest thing remotely resembling a clue about how to lead or organize a team. If she's alone and knows the other Sentinels aren't coming back, what she does then is start seeing who else has a job opening.

Dr. Pain -- "Ummm... right. I'll work on that."

He's not a great leader or an organizer either, but he's not a wallflower. He'd pick his new team members mostly on the basis of reputation, and try to get at least one more experienced guy to be the boss so he wouldn't have to.

Baron von Darien -- he's an immortal billionaire supergenius mastermind. If he'd wanted a superhero team at his beck and call, he'd already have one. If he doesn't have one, it's because he doesn't feel the need for one.

Husky will transform into Kenneth wanting to build a super power detector. Kenneth will instead build a team of Super powered Robots or maybe even rescue animals from a veterinary hospital and cybernetically/biologically enhance them (including AI's) and claim they are in fact alien defenders summoned to Earth in it's time of need.

I don't think Adrenaline would join another team, being to attached to the team he is a part of.

This has already happended to Realm. He looked for other military or law enforcement heroes to adventure with creating the Blue Shields, a branch of the Texas Rangers.

Hecabus would create his own group and probably wouldn't wait months to do it. He would have the new group spend time looking for the Grand Apostle Vex (the charismatic leader of his religion), Desmodon (his Huge War Bat Familiar - long story), and Fang (His converted Gargantuan Spider).

The New Guard.

Using my abilities to Detect META Humans, Altered-Humans, Aliens, Magic-Users and basically anyone who isn’t a normal. I would look for suitable subjects and then I would look into their backgrounds and histories.

I would see it they know about their powers and see how they use them.

I would watch them for about two weeks then I would test them.

I would send a minor robot to combat them (in an out of the way place) and see how they handle themselves.

If I think they did well I would send them an invitation to a dinner party.

The ones that showed up would be asked to join the New Guard.

A.

UMMMMM. Pulsar would have been out searching for his missing teammates already, and he is very stuborn. He would have contacted any Super or Meta that he knew or that the team had ever worked with or assisted. He would have contacted even the less "evil" villians that they had fought for any idea what the team had been involved with when they had disappeared.

If contacted to form a new team, Pulsar would go to these individuals first, in order of overall power and ability to work/augment together as a team.

Crimson Tide-- Don't do this. Tide hates the way he was recruited, so undoubtedly he would replicate it. Find athletes who use their powers secretly to enhance their performance and destroy their lives through revelation or threat of revelation and force them to become superheroes.

Armando--Best he can do is hit the road. Ride around the country doing the superhero schtick and recruit those who he helps do it or who help him out.

Sword Dancer--Calls upon her mystical connections to her predecessors to guide her to those with power and morality.

Gangway--Can canvas the world in a few minutes to find recruits, may take a bit longer because no one else operates at her speed.

Luna-- Bites the bullet and calls Ann; a messy break up over a decade ago but Ann has the technical skills to build metahuman detectors . . .

Well my guy has the ability to detect ki, magic andmost other supernormals, too. So if he could not find his teammates this means they are likely dead (or definitely off-planet). He can use this ability to find other "recruits" though it might not do any good. Although a good strategist in battle, he is not exactly a good organizer and definitely not good at persuading to his cause. Hopefully he could find a super who would have the talent to persuade others to the cause. Failing that he might go for any local teen metahumans who are outcast and misfits and maybe try to get them to join by "giving them a purpose". He would train them on how to use their powers and abilities to best help out the team. Though he would avoid if possible sending them into a battle for as long as possible. When training completed he would bring them along slowly maybe letting them take on minor threats. He would try to take on threats that he felt they werent ready for early on alone. Course the teen angst of trying to fit in would be lost on him for the most part so some tension would be there.

Hummingbird, who I think I'll be playing instead of Bengal when we next sit down...

He's practically a team by himself. I think he'd probably recruit people he knows and trusts, from the law-enforcement and academic communities, and let them wear some of his spare costumes, and assume his other identities for a while.

He's not too terribly interested in the whole "Secret ID" thing, outside of making it safe for him to do his work away from the prying eyes of his Hunteds. If his teammates were missing, finding them would be more important.

Barring that, and perhaps in addition, he'd approach the authorities who directed him to go searching, and ask to see their mutant database. From there, he would select candidates, approach them and see if they are interested, and then ask the authorities to suspend their ban on mutant powers for the duration.

As a final task, he might approach the nefarious Dr. Dart, who knows his team almost as well as Hummingbird does. He would ask for Dr. Dart's help. "You know, I always imagined that you would be the one to destroy us all. That will be hard to do if someone else is trying to do it first!"

The one thing he wouldn't do is ask for help from magicicans.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Flippant is going to be another one of those who checks athletics rosters. He's in trouble...

Wraith institutes one of the most impressive talent searches ever. Potentials will be reviewed, processed and accepted without their knowledge (gotta love ghosts). He then sends invitations.

Warp: A multi-billionaire who can literally get to any place on Earth instantly. He has the resources and the organizational ability to put together a decent team. Heck, if all else fails he could have a team built. He does know at least one person who's created an AI through one of his now lost teammates.

Spectrum: United States Air Force Colonel with powers to manipulate and generate vast amounts of energy thoughout the EM spectrum. If Uncle Sam is footing the bill, he's up to the challenge of putting together a group of heroes to protect the nation's interests.

Mystic: Uses magical power to select supers whose powers and abilities will be needed in the times to come.