Let's Empower Wendy Brooks

Hermit

Guest Champsguy

I had a DNPC "supermodel girlfriend" who got blasted when my character got attacked on a date. She was hurt pretty bad (negative body, I think), but two of the PCs (my character being one of them), got the idea that we could "fix" her. You know, it's good to have science skills. Sadly, our sciences tended towards the mechanical in nature, not the biological.

A few weeks later, she's back on the runway modeling swimsuits... and she's bulletproof and superstrong from the cybernetic implants we installed. Every once in a while, somebody would get a great idea about a new power we should have installed, so of course they'd sneak behind everybody's back and go install it ("Finger lasers! That's cool!" "Combat programming!"). I don't know how tough she is now, but she could probably join the team at this point.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno.

But right now I'm running a 750 pointer on a 750 point team, and she's 18 years old, has no other job skills besides 'cook' and 'waitress', and has the Power Cosmic.

When the team finally buys itself a mansion, I'm going to have /her/ volunteer to be the team base's cook and housekeeper... hey, it's work she knows how to do(*), and she likes cooking, and her secret ID needs a job. And it saves the team having to security-clear somebody else.

Oh, if you're wondering WTF anybody with the Power Cosmic is a waitress, the answer is "Right now, she's had those powers a grand total of ummm, nine days."

(*) And it beats being a waitress in a cop diner at below the legal minimum wage. :)

One possibility for supering Wendy up would, of course, have her be in the presence of an exploding piece of Kelvarite. Now ... if it were me, I'd give her some ridiculous power level. Maybe rip Michael Surbrook's Vegeta write-up, or something similarly gross ... EXCEPT ... that she retains her own Dex and Speed, and has no levels with the powers ... result? All blast, no control.

Add to that her hyperness and (in all likelihood) excessive enthusiasm, we have a disaster in the making. It's an old saw, but a fun one ... omni-powerful new superbeing swoops in on the more experienced crowd, attempts to 'wow' them with a phenomenal display of power, and instead just screws everything up by making a rookie mistake. :)

Originally posted by Bengal

...what is she still doing as their maid?

There is some precedent already set for super-powered maids, butlers, housekeepers, and such.

I'm not entirely sure because its been awhile since 1985, but didn't Jarvis help defeat the Masters of Evil when they hit Avengers Mansion? Not sure on that...

But, from issue #1 of West Coast Avegers up to the mid-20's or so, super-powered Henry Pym volunteered to keep and run the West Coast Avengers' estate. He didn't want anything to do with the whacky fun of going out and being an Avenger. Instead he was very content to stay at the compound to work on new gadgets, make sure Eric Josten (Goliath III) fared well, and watch the fight in the front yard between Ultron-12 and Mark (Ultron-13).

So even with powers, Wendy could be satisfied with cleaning the Champions' toilets and making their beds. This could be the case especially after going out with them a couple times and realising how much hard work being a superhero really is.

Originally posted by Bengal

I just have the sense that it'd be some sort of telekinesis and lightning-based power structure. Maybe not even that strong, just enough to get her into Starburst's league. I mean, if she's a 350-pointer, what is she still doing as their maid?

Because even heroes like a little honestly earned cash in their pockets? :)

Originally posted by Richard Logue

I'm not entirely sure because its been awhile since 1985, but didn't Jarvis help defeat the Masters of Evil when they hit Avengers Mansion? Not sure on that...

Sadly, no.

Jarvis not only was not superpowered, and did not help, but he was taken prisoner and deliberately tortured by Mr. Hyde for almost an hour.

That's why Jarvis, after that storyline, walked with a leg brace and a permanent limp, and wore an eye patch. Hyde had done that damage to him.

(As for Hyde? Thor broke his legs.)

Originally posted by Chuckg

Sadly, no.

Jarvis not only was not superpowered, and did not help, but he was taken prisoner and deliberately tortured by Mr. Hyde for almost an hour.

That's why Jarvis, after that storyline, walked with a leg brace and a permanent limp, and wore an eye patch. Hyde had done that damage to him.

(As for Hyde? Thor broke his legs.)

Go Thor.

Man, if you never hated Hyde before, that storyline achieved the goal.

I seem to recall that Jarvis held under that introgation/torture better than many other men would.

Originally posted by Hermit

Go Thor.

Man, if you never hated Hyde before, that storyline achieved the goal.

I seem to recall that Jarvis held under that introgation/torture better than many other men would.

Jarvis has always been a remarkable man. One of my favorite stories is from the seventies I think. He went to visit his mother on his day off. All the neighbors asked him to bring the Avengers down to deal with a gang that was running a protection racket. He said "no", and proceeded to show the neighbor that they needed to stand up for themselves by taking out the gang by himself. Found out that he was a boxing champion in the military, if I'm remembering the story correctly.

Jarvis has many great moments. Another favorite story he's in also might be my favorite Hercules story, as well as one of my all-time favorite comic stories itself.

It involved Herc meeting up with a young boy who is a rabid Thor fan. In true Herc fashion he proceeds to spin an unbelievably exagerrated tale involving him completely trashing Thor, driving the boy almost to tears. Jarvis finally steps in and points out the boy's distress. Herc completely reverses the tale, going on to describe Thor's (again) fantastically exagerrated comeback and defeat of Herc. Making the boy positively giddy. If I remember correctly, there is sort of a 'bonding' moment at the end between Jarvis and Herc, where Jarvis is very respectful of how Herc went against his normal nature just to please one boy.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Who is the Solipsist??

An other-dimensional being that gets mentioned once in the origin story of Archimago, the 4e villainous lich from... 'Creatures of the Night', I think it was.

His deal is this -- he desires the obliteration of all existence that is not himself.

Archimago sold his soul to him... in return for a promise to end all of existence... because he'd already promised and then betrayed every other relevant entity in the multiverse, and only the Solipsist had the power to protect him from his outraged former masters.

(You think John Constantine was bad? Archimago sold his soul to /every/ demon prince, /and/ the Kings of Edom, /and/ God alone knows who else, /and/ the Solipsist... and not all simultaneously, either. One after the other!

Either he's the cleverest thing the mystic world ever had going, or else other-dimensional entities in Champions 4e were really sloppy about doing title searches before signing the bill of sale.)

Originally posted by Starlord

I'd empower her with a crush on someone OTHER than Defender. All the females seem to be falling over Defender, it's kinda ridiculous. A crush on Nighthawk or Ironclad seems more interesting.

Any girl who'd crush on Nighthawk -- especially if they actually /knew/ him -- would be a girl I'd lose any affection for. Nighthawk is a head case and needs therapy, or maybe Thorazine.

Crushing on Ironclad, I could believe, but he looks "Klingon" enough to scare off most of the teeny-boppers. :)

An other-dimensional being that gets mentioned once in the origin story of Archimago, the 4e villainous lich from... 'Creatures of the Night', I think it was.

His deal is this -- he desires the obliteration of all existence that is not himself.

Sounds a little like an entity level version of Requiem. . .

Archimago sold his soul to him... in return for a promise to end all of existence... because he'd already promised and then betrayed every other relevant entity in the multiverse, and only the Solipsist had the power to protect him from his outraged former masters.

(You think John Constantine was bad? Archimago sold his soul to /every/ demon prince, /and/ the Kings of Edom, /and/ God alone knows who else, /and/ the Solipsist... and not all simultaneously, either. One after the other!

Either he's the cleverest thing the mystic world ever had going, or else other-dimensional entities in Champions 4e were really sloppy about doing title searches before signing the bill of sale.)

Either that, or upper-end beings don't mind poaching on the souls purchased by lesser beings. . .

Dropped dead of a purely mundane heart attack shortly after signing the deal. The Solipsist, or someone, brought him back as a lich. The price? He's now *bound* to pay every single debt he ever racked up, in order.

So first he has to feed Hell N number of human souls and other such demonic favors, then he has to turn loose the Kings of Edom to ravage the cosmos, and then he has to destroy all of existence.

He'd better get started, he's got a very full calendar. :)

Dropped dead of a purely mundane heart attack shortly after signing the deal. The Solipsist, or someone, brought him back as a lich. The price? He's now *bound* to pay every single debt he ever racked up, in order.

So first he has to feed Hell N number of human souls and other such demonic favors, then he has to turn loose the Kings of Edom to ravage the cosmos, and then he has to destroy all of existence.

He'd better get started, he's got a very full calendar. :)

L. O. L.

Any chance this guy, or a variant thereof, might appear in 5th Ed??

Most likely not -- Takofanes is occupying the "uber-lich" slot now, and Archimago was more suited to be the 'unstoppable uberpowerful bad guy' of a high-end Dark Champions campaign or a Mystic Masters campaign than he was a regular CU supervillain anyway.

Edit - belated thought. He /might/ show in 5e Mystic Masters, but if they use him then they'll probably ditch the "lich" thing and instead just make him the world's most evil and powerful /mortal/ mage, still geased to carry out the entire schedule of debts.