Let's Empower Wendy Brooks

Hermit

From the Champions Genre book-A pert young lady who works for the Champions as their Housekeeper and Cook.... Wendy dreams of being a super hero herself someday....

You may remember the sassy lass 4th Ed version from Nomals Unbound.

Well, in my campaign, it actually happened in a sort of mystic empowerment. Wendy has... uhm windy powers. She can now transform into a living air elemental. The Champions are still trying to decide what to do about this, and have taken her under their wing.

However... I love picking the brains of you folks, so... how would you have done it? What 'powers' if any would you have given her? Power Armor from her boss for Christmas? Martial Training? What?

Come on folks, dreams really do come true right? :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in truth, I can also see Wendy's desire for super powers being used against the Champions by some Mephisto type. Someone tricks her with the offer, she gives in, gets powers, and boom, new villainess... either thouroughly corrupt and loving it, or no longer free willed and in a puppet like living hell.

But I'm too darn nice to do that to pert housekeepers.

Originally posted by Chuckg

Oh, if you want to go /that/ route, just have Teleios show up with his 'genetic pimp' routine.

"The first DNA-spike's for free, baby, but after that, it'll cost ya..."

Nah, as I said, I'm being nice...

but good point, Teleios strikes me as pulling just that game on people... minus the hat with the feather in it of course :)

I never have enough "radiation accidents" in my game.

Someone would open a dimensional portal into the base. The alarms go off, everyone shows up to fight. After beating back the hordes and the portal closes, they would find her unconscious beneath it. It seems the portal opened right on her location. She'd be in the infirmary for a day but would exhibit no side effects.

She'd start repeating entire conversations verbatim (Eidetic Memory); Then while cleaning the lab she'll solve the problem on the board (Like in Good Will Hunting); She'll start showing up with things before they are needed--not because she's psychic, but because her mind has gone into overdrive causing her to extrapolate probabilities.

She'll even show up on the scene of a crime and stop it before it starts through some ingenious method that involves nothing more than, say, leaving an umbrella on the sidewalk for the bank robbers to trip over, causing a chain reaction that leaves them in jail.

Originally posted by Hermit

Very good, but would she suddenly have the urge to wear more revealing clothes or costumes?

Well, that's a given.

Actually, I'm kind of liking this idea, but more as a Deus Ex Machina for something else (I have a chef on my base).

Picture "Team Luck". Through a strange quirk of probability all of this goes down. With the character suddenly able to see probabilities, he now acts as several dice of luck for the team. When a combat begins, I throw the dice and record it. During the fight things may happen in favor of the heroes. Say, a hero runs out of ammunition--I decide to use some of the luck here. He glances up and sees that a clip of ammunition has been taped to the back of the dumpster he's hiding behind. Say a hero is knocked out of a window. For some reason the window-washing rig is right there on the next floor. Why?-----Because our chef went about town earlier in the day and planted these items.

After a period of this happening, some kind of probability police show up (I have something like that in my game; an organization called ANACH that try to preserve the timeline). They demand the heroes turn over the chef.

Chaos ensues. This could be kind of fun. Especially if I don't explain the chef is doing it, but these things just keep happening for a while.

Originally posted by Blue

Picture "Team Luck". Through a strange quirk of probability all of this goes down. With the character suddenly able to see probabilities, he now acts as several dice of luck for the team.

There was an NPC, with Leo Getts used as his base persona, that acted more or less in this fashion in our Section M campaign years ago. Of course, nobody realized he had subconcious probability manipulation abilities, but the wildest stuff would happen around him....

I just can't get the term WENDY HOUSE out of my head (Wendy houses are children’s play houses in the UK I think named after the little house the lost boys built Wendy in peter pan) So I think she would have to be a brick.

I'm just picturing this prime neat young lady who has suddenly developed invulnerability to harm of course your choice entirely if you decide to instigate the Fairchild rule and have only her body be invulnerable and not her clothing of course she could always buy some unstable molecule undies.

As for an origin how about a nice piece of jewelry she buys at a small antique shop or yard sale ort what have you.

No one notice anything odd about it until the next base attack and when an energy blast bigger than a Buick hits her she walks away unscathed if a little embarrassed that her neat suit is slightly vaporized.

Of course the jewelry carries a strange curse whilst you become to all intense and prepossess invulnerable you are also liable to find your self needing to be on a regular basis people try to kill you and improbable events happen every day you get caught in a dimensional rift and spend a hundred years as queen of the lizard people your kidnapped and thrown into a volcano to appease the gods your vacation is interrupted by aliens mistakenly seeking you as mediator in an intergalactic war.

Not to mention working for a super team would make matters even worse

I’d probably go with some luck powers as well just to get her out of all those scrapes.

I disagree.

While most mutant powers manifest by puberty, there's always 'latent genetic factors that needed a radiation accident before they manifested'.

As of the time of the origin of the Fantastic Four, for example, they ranged in age from late 20's or early 30's (Reed and Ben), to very early 20's or late teens (Susan), down to teenaged punk (Johnny). And yet they're all people with latent meta-genes that were made active by the same cosmic radiation dose.

Besides, who the hell would spend N million dollars making a powersuit for the maid to wear, when they could give it to somebody like Teknique? Another reason for going the 'meta-gene' theory is because nobody would spend the vast amount of time, effort, and cash it would take to /deliberately/ empower Wendy Brooks unless they had a major ulterior motive, which Defender obviously wouldn't.