One reason why Superman doesn't need a mask...

Caped Crusader

Originally posted by Battlestaff

In an issue of Superman, I don't remember which one, it was shown that Superman vibrates his face in a very subtle way so that while he looks normal when people look at him, his features are softened a bit, and he's ever-so-slightly out of focus when people take pictures of him.

Nah, that's just from all the coffee he drinks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman also deliberately screws up his posture as Clark Kent -- slumping, different body language, and so forth -- and then deliberately stands very erect and forthright when as Superman. This helps people think that Superman's taller than he is, even if they've met both of them.

In a classic example of art imitating life imitating art, I think the Superman writers got this from what Christopher Reeve did in "Superman II", as mentioned above.

Actually, just the scene in "Superman: The Motion Picture" where Clark shows up just after Lois & Supes have gone flying is what made me a believer. Lois goes to get her purse, and as she disappears to her bedroom, Clark removes his glasses, stands up straight, and makes this perfectly all-confidence smile. Then, as he realizes he should tell her, he speaks with such conviction in his voice... until he chickens out. :-) Then he slumps, puts back on glasses, and his voice is all nasally. For the first time, I truly believed that one person could pretend to be two with just a pair of glasses.

-Yogzilla

Originally posted by Allensh

THE dumbest Superman story ever written, came out in 1979. "The Secret of Clark Kent's Glasses". I wish I could find a back issue of this, just to show people how bad it was :)

Rumor has it the story was so bad they were forced to retract it...

Allen

At one time there was a short lived DC Heroes newsletter that Mayfair produced.

It has some sort of "featured gadget" section.

One day, it had "Clark Kent's Glasses" as a Gadget.

Using a rough approximation, there's a 5 to 1 correlation between Hero Active Points and DC Hero points.

The glasses had "Illusion:186" with a limit of "Can only make Superman look like Clark Kent" or somesuch.

Apparently, nobody told the DC Heroes people that they retracted it...

D

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

One thing I'd like to know is, why is it that PG wears that outfit of hers, obviously designed to display her charms to best effect -- and then goes berserk whenever some guy points as much out? Just seems kind of dumb to me.

Because she doesn't dress herself - she's outfitted by comic artists and editors who know how large a fraction of their readership is made up of pubescent males. :rolleyes:

Frustrates the heck out of me, frankly. I hate pointless cheesecake costumes. :mad: Power Girl and Black Canary had both gotten relatively practical full-body outfits just pre- and post-Crisis, and now they're back in bodice-busters, bare legs and fishnets again.

That's hardly the worst of it. You should hear Chuck Dixon's rants about how much "fan" mail he got during his run on BIRDS OF PREY, asking for some quote, hot girl-on-girl action, end quote.

*retch emoticon*

Sheesh. Somedays the fanboys make me ashamed to have the same hobby.

LL-I like Powergirl, and yes, I do enjoy cheesecake, but I've got to agree that it makes no sense to me when they don't have costumes that fit their personality (ditching practicality out of the way entirely for a moment, but normally that would be a major factor as well).

Chuck- Oy... poor Dixon. Clearly some of the 'fans' have confused the genre for something else.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

Maybe now we've finally found a rationale for those plunging necklines and skin tight bodices on superheroines' costumes:

"That was Powergirl? Gosh, what did she look like? I never got around to looking at her face." :D

Investigator (hands headshot to witness): Is this her?

Witness (scratches head): I don't know, do you have any shots that are... you know... lower?

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Frustrates the heck out of me, frankly. I hate pointless cheesecake costumes. :mad: Power Girl and Black Canary had both gotten relatively practical full-body outfits just pre- and post-Crisis, and now they're back in bodice-busters, bare legs and fishnets again.

Huntress' outfit made quite a change from being a full body leotard type get-up to being shorts and a sports bra. Great get-up if you are bullet proof, but me personally would want something a little more kevlar-y like the rest of the Bat-team wears.

The most practical -- if really un-stylish (no color sense, that girl) -- costume I ever saw on a superheroine was the Spoiler's original costume.

Full body stocking -- snug but not skin-tight -- long cape, mask, and hood. If it weren't for the fact that Nature had blessed her with a very generous figure, you couldn't even have told what /gender/ she was in that outfit, much less seen anything you could recognize later. It wasn't until about fifty issues later that she even started showing her ponytail.

Then again, she was a Chuck Dixon character too, and he's /always/ hated cheesecake.

Originally posted by Chuckg

The most practical -- if really un-stylish (no color sense, that girl) -- costume I ever saw on a superheroine was the Spoiler's original costume.

Full body stocking -- snug but not skin-tight -- long cape, mask, and hood. If it weren't for the fact that Nature had blessed her with a very generous figure, you couldn't even have told what /gender/ she was in that outfit, much less seen anything you could recognize later. It wasn't until about fifty issues later that she even started showing her ponytail.

Then again, she was a Chuck Dixon character too, and he's /always/ hated cheesecake.

Cheesecake has its place, but it's often impractical for a girl of action. Here's the costume I came up with for my female ninja back in 1987, Spirit Ninja. I later redesigned her for a 5e as Blood Orchid:

attachment.php?s=&postid=238905

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Trebuchet

Cheesecake has its place, but it's often impractical for a girl of action. Here's the costume I came up with for my female ninja back in 1987, Spirit Ninja. I later redesigned her for a 5e as Blood Orchid:

Wow. Pose well chosen to demonstrate ninja powers... makes my muscles twitch to view... :)

Originally posted by WhammeWhamme

Wow. Pose well chosen to demonstrate ninja powers... makes my muscles twitch to view... :)

It was adopted from a pose in one of the old Champions books or supplements, and required a gallon of whiteout and literally dozens of sequentially slightly altered photocopies to achieve. I'm no artist. Fortunately I worked in a photocopy center at the time, or I never could have afforded to do it.

Cheesecake

Originally posted by Hermit

LL-I like Powergirl, and yes, I do enjoy cheesecake, but I've got to agree that it makes no sense to me when they don't have costumes that fit their personality (ditching practicality out of the way entirely for a moment, but normally that would be a major factor as well).

Who says the outfit doesn't match her personality? Maybe she wears something revealing because she WANTS to go beserk when men react.

(I'm sure you could work that into a Psych Lim somehow.)

Re: Cheesecake

Originally posted by CarlSagan

Who says the outfit doesn't match her personality? Maybe she wears something revealing because she WANTS to go beserk when men react.

(I'm sure you could work that into a Psych Lim somehow.)

Did you see the JSA when the super strong convict had developed a "Bulldozer" style obssession with her?

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Don't diss the fishnets - - BC and Zatanna are simply upholding a proud tradition... :)

-Yogzilla

Originally posted by Chuckg

Trebuchet --

"An Unusual Mission", chapters 1-3, is here

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=30117

Chapter 4 is here

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=216028

Note -- it's a 'shippy romance fanfic, PG-rated romantic comedy, between Batman and Wonder Woman. You don't want to read that kinda thing, don't go there. :)

However, Adrian Tullberg is a /fantastic/ fanfic author, so I'd suggest going.

Isn't "fantastic fanfiction author" an oxymoron?

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by misterdeath

At one time there was a short lived DC Heroes newsletter that Mayfair produced.

It has some sort of "featured gadget" section.

One day, it had "Clark Kent's Glasses" as a Gadget.

Using a rough approximation, there's a 5 to 1 correlation between Hero Active Points and DC Hero points.

The glasses had "Illusion:186" with a limit of "Can only make Superman look like Clark Kent" or somesuch.

Apparently, nobody told the DC Heroes people that they retracted it...

D

Waittaminute - 186 DC Heroes Attribute Points? That's ridiculous. Beings on the power level of the Endless top out at 40-50 in their best abilities.

Patrick J McGraw

Well, if that's your only criterion...

Bearing in mind, most professional authors have editors and paid proofreaders to check that stuff; do we know that Stephen King, say, can actually put a sentence together without help? :)

But obviously fanfic written by amateur authors isn't everyone's cup of tea. Different strokes, and all. But sometimes it's about the ideas and how they're presented rather than the technical quality of the writing...

Originally posted by Korvar

Well, if that's your only criterion...

Bearing in mind, most professional authors have editors and paid proofreaders to check that stuff; do we know that Stephen King, say, can actually put a sentence together without help? :)

But obviously fanfic written by amateur authors isn't everyone's cup of tea. Different strokes, and all. But sometimes it's about the ideas and how they're presented rather than the technical quality of the writing...

It's not my only criterion, but it's one of the early ones. There is no excuse for a writer using poor grammar. Personal proofreading won't find everything, of course, but if you proffread something and still get one or more grammatical errors in every paragraph, you need to go back and re-learn grammar before you start writing again.

Technical quality is very important, if someone wants their work to look like anything other than amatuer hackwork. Furthermore, bad grammar interferes with the writer's ideas and their presentation. Errors distract the reader from what the author is trying to say.

To be taken seriously, an artist needs to understand and properly use the tools of his medium - and in a writer's case this includes grammar.

Patrick J McGraw