Need Help With Teleport Power

schir1964

Basically I need help with nailing down Advantages/Limitations for the power.

Concept:

Character has the ability to teleport one unique object to his present location regardless of the objects location, worldwide only. He can only bring this one object to him and thats all.

Let me know what I have wrong or what I need.

Teleportation:

Fixed Location (1)

Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations (-1)

UAA - One Target (+1)

I'll adjust the total mass as needed later.

What else am I missing?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Need Help With Teleport Power

I would add: Detect Object, Range, Targeting, lots of Telescopic, only for targeting Teleport (-2). Otherwise, there's no way you know where the object is to Teleport it.

For the Teleport itself:

Megascale (or lots of non-combat multiples)

Can Only Teleport one object (-2)

Can Only teleport object to self (-1)

Of course, depending on what the object is, this might just be a special effect of an Obvious Inaccessible Focus -- for example, if the character has a magic sword that he can summon to his hand whenever he needs it. OTOH, if the object is a videocamera or robot spy, the power might be appropriate.

Based on the how the book reads, the Fixed Location allows the character to know where the object is at all times even if it moves or has been moved. Therefore, the character need not worry about locating the object.

Or am I wrong on this?

Why not buy the one object as a special effect for OIHID? It comes when you summon it.

Better yet, just buy Instant Change and define it as changing your clothes for your costume and that one item.

Of course, you have to buy the item with points, but you would have had to do that anyway in a Supers game. Even in a heroic game, I suspect buying the object itself will be cheaper than all that Teleport UAA.

Because the object is a real object that anyone else can use. The power simply allows this one character to teleport it to his location.

Applicability (can anyone else use the Focus?) and Accessibility (can the Focus be forcibly removed from the character?) are two different things. Talon's suggestion might be applicable, the teleporting ability might just be defined as a special effect of the Inaccessible Focus. Well, is that item a Focus anyway?

Because the object is a real object that anyone else can use. The power simply allows this one character to teleport it to his location.

A handgun is a real object that anyone can use. It's still a focus, and the ability to teleport it to your hand just changes its accessibility. :thumbup:

It's not a focus.

It really doesn't matter what the object is. It could be an ordinary butter knife, a rock, or any other normal everyday object. The point is, it can be picked up/moved/used by anyone else while not in the posssesson of the character. The character has some sort of attachment to this specific object whatever it might be, and therefore has the ability to teleport it to his current location, regardless of where it is, on the planet that is.

I appreciate the suggestions and all, but that's why I said at the beginning that all I needed was to verify the options/modifiers for Teleportation. After reviewing all the possible powers, and Teleportation with UAA seems to be the most applicable for the concept. But since it's kind of an odd ball use for Teleportation power, I wanted to make sure I was implementing all the options/modifers of Teleportation/UAA properly.

It's not a focus.

It really doesn't matter what the object is. It could be an ordinary butter knife, a rock, or any other normal everyday object. The point is, it can be picked up/moved/used by anyone else while not in the posssesson of the character. The character has some sort of attachment to this specific object whatever it might be, and therefore has the ability to teleport it to his current location, regardless of where it is, on the planet that is.

I appreciate the suggestions and all, but that's why I said at the beginning that all I needed was to verify the options/modifiers for Teleportation. After reviewing all the possible powers, and Teleportation with UAA seems to be the most applicable for the concept. But since it's kind of an odd ball use for Teleportation power, I wanted to make sure I was implementing all the options/modifers of Teleportation/UAA properly.

I don't get it.

You said that it would be a specific object, but any kind of object. Is this a variable kinda thing, where the character can attune himself to an object and then be able to teleport that object to him later, or are these/this object just some ordinary item that he can always call to him, but is selected when the character is created?

If it's the first, then yes, you'll need Teleport (Summon won't bring a specific object). If it's the second, then it's just so out there that it could be anything but Teleport, and would depend entirely upon the object that can be teleported.

This is Summon either way since that will cover any distance without massive point expenditure. Summon has a +1 Advantage option for a Specific Object/Person.

Summon also makes a little more sense for what you're trying to do I think... Teleport's inherent distance limitation from being a Movement Power will make it difficult to simulate transfering the item from anywhere to where you are, and you'll have to know where it is to begin with. Summon bypasses all that and allows you to bring the object from anywhere to you.

With Summon all you need to do is figure out the point cost of the item and divide by five for the base Summon cost.

Teleport overcomplicates the issue.

Okay, first, it will be a specific object. I was only pointing out that it doesn't matter what I finally decide what that object is, just that the object won't have any above normal attributes. And I am talkng an object, not a being or creature. And this object has no point cost. Just like a ordinary rope doesn't have a point cost. Anyone can use it.

Sorry if I confused you on that Dust Raven.

Second, I gave all of you the benefit of the doubt and reread Summon again, and nowhere does it say you can summon a normal object. The closest it gets is a controlled atomaton, which is not anywhere close to what I have in mind.

Maybe I'm missing some crucial paragraph or sentence, I'm willing to read or check any specific reference you can give me from the 5th Edtion book.

Third, points are not going to be problem here. If it costs a lot to achieve the concept then so be it.

Finally, here is text from the FAQ's concerning Summon. Please take note of the second paragraph. The object I have in mind can be used by anyone, not just the character. Also note that even using Summon in this manner does increase the cost dramatically since you also have to apply Slavishly Loyal.

Question: Can you Summon an unliving object that’s defined by a point cost, such as a Base or Vehicle? If so, how do you calculate the cost?

Answer: Yes, a character could summon such an object (e.g., a Base, Vehicle, or Computer), subject to the GM’s approval. The character must apply the Amicable Advantage at the Slavishly Loyal (+1) level, since he has full control over the object. Derive the cost of Summon from the total cost of the object, not its cost divided by 5.

A character may not use Summon in this way to substitute for another power. For example, a character cannot Summon a bunch of swords and hand them out to his friends; that’s HKA, Usable By Others. As always, common sense, dramatic sense, and the GM’s discretion apply.

*NEW*(EXPANDED) If a character buys the ability to Summon an unliving object, he does not also have to buy the Vehicle, Base, or what have you separately. If that were the case, characters would have to buy as Followers

whatever they Summoned, which wouldn’t make much sense. But by the same token, allowing unlimited Summonings of objects could become unbalancing, which is why GMs examine such abilities carefully (and often forbid them) and

players should approach such constructs responsibly.

So, anyone else want to make an argument for Summon, even though I've decided it doesn't fit the concept? (8^D)

Finally' date=' here is text from the FAQ's concerning Summon. Please take note of the second paragraph. The object I have in mind can be used by anyone, not just the character. Also note that even using Summon in this manner does increase the cost dramatically since you have to apply Slavishly Loyal and the points of the object are [b']not[/b] divided by 5.

You're misinterpreting the FAQ here. Normally, the cost of a base or a vehicle is determined, and the character pays 1/5 of the cost. The FAQ is only saying that you don't get to build a 200 point base, divide the cost by 5 to 40 for the cost of the base, then divide it again to get an 8 point Summon. It's just resricting you to one division by 5.

I'm also confused. The ability requested does seem to have some uses that are not clear-cut.

For example, say I've bonded with my bowling ball. My hated nemesis Herman has picked up my ball and is very close to bowling a 300 game! As the ball rolls toward the final strike, I call the ball to me, and it disappears! Herman doesn't get his 300 game, and I now cradle my traitorous Brunswick in my hands.

Can Summon do that? Seems like it's stepping on Teleport's toes.

Depending on the object selected and the player's deviousness, a lot of in-game useful stuff can be achieved.

Now let's say I've bonded with a spark plug. I let the villian escape in an old biplane, and summon the spark plug straight from his engine at 5000'. If he fails his skill roll, he's gonna land so hard it might be curtains for Flyboy.

What if my object is a Van Gogh painting? Sell it, suck it back, repeat until filthy rich.

If it's a tape recorder I could arrange for it to be at the meeting of Infinite Villany, then retrieve it.

I could go on. The point is, what's the desired effect? Without knowing what "ordinary" object is the target, I'd have to go for the most expensive route (teleport, megascale, megascale N-ray targeting detects to find it, etc.).

You've got a pretty good idea with the Bowling Ball thing. It's going to a Single Specific Object, once chosen it will never change again, ever. It'll be an normal everyday object that anyone can use.

It's not specific to the character in any way other than an emotional attachment. It can have some benefit but only within the contraints of the item itself. Like the Bowling Balll, it could be thrown at someone or used weigh someone down, all within the realm of the item.

By the same token, it could be moved, damaged, destroyed just like any other normal object. The character would have to fix it, or have someone else fix it.

It doesn't have points just like the normal car doesn't have points in the game. A character could spend points on a vehicle, but if he doesn't he can still own a car to get from point A to B.

All the character can do is bring this one specific ordinary everyday use object to his current location. There are other ramifications that can happen with it, but that will be handled by the GM and what would make sense.

I think Teleport is the most applicable because it can transport objects regardless what someone might think thier "derived point value" is, and can be adjusted for weight allowances when the final object is chosen.

Does this help clarify the concept?

So you stat out the object. Let's say the summon can summon a 30 Active Point object. In that case, let's say the Bowling Ball is an Automoton with 10 STR and 20 CON, with no movement abilities and some armor?

That's the impression I'm getting, at any rate.

Anyway, here's what I have so far. Based on everything I've read in the 5th Edition and the FAQs, this will do what's necessary.

Teleportation:

6" (12 Points)

1 Fixed Location (1 Point)

Increased Mass x32 (25 Points)

Useable As Attack (+1)

Megascale [10000 Km] (+1 1/4)

Scale Down Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations (-1)

Summary:

Teleportation of one unique object to current location.

Character can teleport object up to the size of a large semi truck and trailer.

Character can not teleport himself to object. See UAA advantage.

Teleportation takes a full phase since it is Non-combat Only teleport. See Megascale Advantage.

Fixed location allows object to be teleported from anywhere on planet. [1 Km - 60,000 Km].

Character is unable to teleport object within 1 Km. Has to walk. (8^D)

Total Cost: 61 Points

The increased mass is overkill, once the actual object is chosen, then the mass will be determined and it will be reduced to fit, and the cost will drop with it.

Comments?

So you stat out the object. Let's say the summon can summon a 30 Active Point object. In that case, let's say the Bowling Ball is an Automoton with 10 STR and 20 CON, with no movement abilities and some armor?

That's the impression I'm getting, at any rate.

???

Don't know how you got from a Bowling Ball to an Automaton.

You can put a gun in an Automaton hands and tell it to shoot anyone who comes through the door. Then walk away and it'll do just that.

A bowling ball requires the character to actually throw it. He can't tell it to hit someone and walk away.

I just don't understand how you made that leap.

???

Don't know how you got from a Bowling Ball to an Automaton.

You can put a gun in an Automaton hands and tell it to shoot anyone who comes through the door. Then walk away and it'll do just that.

A bowling ball requires the character to actually throw it. He can't tell it to hit someone and walk away.

I just don't understand how you made that leap.

Well, excuse me for not wanting to stat out a bowling ball...

Basically, it can be an automaton. You just stat it out so it can't do anything on its own free will, to speak of. You give it 0 EGO, 0 INT, no computer brain. Its only purpose is to be thrown at stuff, and has a pre-set trigger on its strength to attack whatever it hits from being thrown.

I dunno. Just a thought. I mean, after all, if you're going to use the object you teleport, it's going to have stats. So it's either going to be one of the following:

It could be a variable pool that can only contain one power, and that power has physical manifestation and Usable by Others.

It could be an Elemental Control of various powers with different uses, each one having Variable Special Effects, Physical Manifestation, and Usable by Others (this is actually the construct I would prefer). In this way, you could summon "any object" that has uses reflecting its component power, and can still be taken away and used by others. You might also give them "Only costs END to activate" (+1/4). I would actually go with this solution, definitely, now that I think about it...

Well, actually I guessed you missed my whole point.

Probably because I didn't explain things well.

The point is, the object is mundane and not special in any way. Therefore, it doesn't need stats, probably won't have stats, or the stats themselves won't play enough of significance in the campaign to even bother with.

Just like normal cars in the Superhero campaign don't have stats. The GM might decide to reference how fast that car can go, if time becomes matter of concern for the game, but otherwise he won't even look at it. The vehicle just gets the characer from point A to pont B. That's all that matters and rarely does that vehicle come into play unless the GM wants it to.