Longest Running Thread EVER

• 2 weeks later...

We saw Comet NEOWISE tonight, about 11PM, low in the northwest.  It's a naked-eye object*, even here in the city, but it's really low in the sky so finding a place you can see it is a bit of a trick.

* once it's dark enough for you to see it at all

Saw it again last night from just off  my front doorstep.  It made a triangle with iota and kappa Ursae Majoris, which made it easy to locate, despite being over an excessively lit area around Highway 99.  Due to the glare it took the binoculars to be certain of it, though once you'd seen it if your vision is OK you could see it with peripheral vision with the unaided eye. The comet's motion will carry it towards the "Dipper" part of Ursa Major over the next few days.

Compared to other comets I've seen, it's really pretty good.  Doesn't hold a candle to Hale-Bopp, but that was truly a Great Comet.  Hyakutake in 1996 was easier to see because when brightest it wasn't close to the horizon in the middle-of-the-night hours.  There was another one early this century (I have forgotten the designation; it was back when my kids were in elementary school) that was less visible, but large and very green when seen through binoculars.  Halley in 1986 wasn't naked-eye bright in the northern hemisphere (it was a much better apparition for the south).

Finally managed to track down that damn comet despite the clouds and streetlights. Wasn’t visible at all without binoculars and not terribly impressive even then. Despite that, youngest boy found it incredibly fascinating. He must have looked at it for 20 minutes as it set behind the power lines. 

14 minutes ago, Cancer said:

With the comet being so far north in the celestial sphere it is going to be horribly low in the sky in your rather southerly location, which makes things even harder.

Yeah, it was well down into the light pollution from downtown. But we had like five consecutive nights of solid overcast so I’ll take what I can get. 

Pretty sure I've never been that far north, except perhaps while on a great circle route between the US and Europe, which really shouldn't count for this context.  For the northern limit while standing on the ground, it's probably the beach at Cuxhaven.  By contrast, I know exactly where my southern limit is: it's the southeastern edge of the road encircling Rarotonga.

According to the internet, the farthest north I've ever been is 54.3150° N (Prince Rupert, BC). It's probably also the farthest west I've been. The farthest east is somewhere in the vicinity of Friendsville, Maryland, and the farthest south is Austin

I think my eastern limit is in Tempelhof (perhaps the old now-closed airport itself).  I don't think we went further east than that, though it was possible to do so in West Berlin by a dozen or two blocks.  We went to the Wall a couple of times, but I think always around Mitte, which was the westernmost part of East Berlin.  My western limit is the west edge of Rarotonga, which is a degree or two further west than Oahu (159 degrees and change, compared to 157 degrees and change).  I have been to Maui, Lanai, and the Big Island (all of which are east of Oahu), but not to Kauai or further west.