Longest Running Thread EVER

Henry Eyring, one of the most influential theoretical chemists of the 20th century, is a classic example of this. He would have an idea about something, work through the theory of it to a certain point, and then go into the lab and see if he could make it work. A lot of the time it wouldn't, but there were numerous occasions where it did. He encouraged the students he mentored to take the same approach. As a result, his name appeared on something like 600 scientific journal articles through the years.

(I had the pleasure of hearing about all of this from Dr. Eyring's oldest son, who was my thermodynamics professor as an undergraduate.)

Before coming to bed last night I went into the shop and got a package of bagels out of the chest freezer.  Then I came upstairs, fed the cats, and went to bed.

After some 15-20 minutes, Fluff Butt had not appeared at the end of the bed.  He'd been nagging me to come upstairs for a while so I knew he'd been inside, downstairs.  But for him to stay downstairs is a singular enough event that I sent my daughter down to see if he'd been shut in the shop (we keep that door closed because there's an exterior door in the shop, and that one leaks air badly, and this time of year that's not a happy thing). 

Sure enough, he'd followed me in there and was nosing around without me realizing it, and I'd closed the door and dowsed the light with him still there.  Daughter released him after calling him and hearing a weak little new muffled through the door.  He came up and ate, and eventually got on the box at the foot of the bed with the baby blanket on it -- his usual nighttime spot -- but he was mad at me.  He was one angry cat.  He refused to come up to the head of the bed and accept pets for half an hour, at which time (it was after lights out) I sat up and petted him by way of apology.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

If you're happy and you know it, let Dad sleep

If you're happy and you know it, don't wake Daddy up and blow it

What if you are happy and you don’t know it, but you really ought to show it; should daddy sleep or wake up? 

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Before coming to bed last night I went into the shop and got a package of bagels out of the chest freezer.  Then I came upstairs, fed the cats, and went to bed.

After some 15-20 minutes, Fluff Butt had not appeared at the end of the bed.  He'd been nagging me to come upstairs for a while so I knew he'd been inside, downstairs.  But for him to stay downstairs is a singular enough event that I sent my daughter down to see if he'd been shut in the shop (we keep that door closed because there's an exterior door in the shop, and that one leaks air badly, and this time of year that's not a happy thing). 

Sure enough, he'd followed me in there and was nosing around without me realizing it, and I'd closed the door and dowsed the light with him still there.  Daughter released him after calling him and hearing a weak little new muffled through the door.  He came up and ate, and eventually got on the box at the foot of the bed with the baby blanket on it -- his usual nighttime spot -- but he was mad at me.  He was one angry cat.  He refused to come up to the head of the bed and accept pets for half an hour, at which time (it was after lights out) I sat up and petted him by way of apology.

I had to read this three times before I figured out that you hadn't shut Fluff Butt in the freezer.

Or had you?