Longest Running Thread EVER

Maybe I should change my GM style so that instead of seeming like the overseeing wizard with a grand plot arc in progress, I'm more like the orcs in the trashed-out basement waiting for more food to deliver itself to my abode.  It would certainly be making my gaming world much more like my real life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Looks like next year I'll be teaching my signature classes: my Solar Systems Ours and Others course for non-science majors, and the algebra-based E&M course that I have taught more times than I can easily count.

Are you doing this class virtually? Because I would love to audit it. :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Pariah said:

Are you doing this class virtually? Because I would love to audit it. :thumbup:

This'll be in-person, with the lab component.  Now, I can send you all the materials.  Not sure if I can give you access to the recorded lectures, and the labs, of course, are never recorded, but that's not really an issue.  Whether I can re-find all the images etc. I use for lectures is another question; there has been too much turnover in the web.  In last resort, though, I could load it all onto a thumb drive and snailmail that.

• 4 weeks later...

It might be considered a crank but as nothing has happened yet it does not belong in that thread.

Mum got a summons to go to court for non-payment of Council Tax. This is for one of the flats next door which is vacant and which cannot be used as a flat because it is too small. Who says it is too small ? The Council. Made plans to go to court. In meantime Mum has been taking advice from the local Small Landlords Association. After we got the summons she spoke to them again and we have applied to the Valuation Office Agency for recalculation of the flat based on the fact that we are not allowed to let it out. Had a real problem locating the paperwork where it says the Council is prohibiting us from letting the property. So today we turn up on time after I have washed and shaved and look presentable to go to the Magistrates Court. We are early and have to wait until the Ushers turn up. We give our name but we are not expected, it did say that attendance was not mandatory. However as the story is complicated we wanted to go and be heard. There were two others. We had to wait while the usher tried to find a prosecutor to talk to us. Ended up that we would be called back (via phone) and our case and the other two would be adjourned. So all for nothing ? Maybe not.

22 minutes ago, death tribble said:

It might be considered a crank but as nothing has happened yet it does not belong in that thread.

Mum got a summons to go to court for non-payment of Council Tax. This is for one of the flats next door which is vacant and which cannot be used as a flat because it is too small. Who says it is too small ? The Council. Made plans to go to court. In meantime Mum has been taking advice from the local Small Landlords Association. After we got the summons she spoke to them again and we have applied to the Valuation Office Agency for recalculation of the flat based on the fact that we are not allowed to let it out. Had a real problem locating the paperwork where it says the Council is prohibiting us from letting the property. So today we turn up on time after I have washed and shaved and look presentable to go to the Magistrates Court. We are early and have to wait until the Ushers turn up. We give our name but we are not expected, it did say that attendance was not mandatory. However as the story is complicated we wanted to go and be heard. There were two others. We had to wait while the usher tried to find a prosecutor to talk to us. Ended up that we would be called back (via phone) and our case and the other two would be adjourned. So all for nothing ? Maybe not.

It's nice to see that courts and local governments in other countries are just as bureaucratic as the ones here.

... And we seem to have adopted a new kitten.  A little red female.  No name yet.  Reesey, my late father-in-law's cat whose picture is in the Cute thread about a month ago, yowls at the little invader.  We'll carry her away tomorrow.

Sometimes you see something on the Internet and think, 'Yeah, right' and go and check it. Well today I found about Thomas Fitzpatrick who stole a plane and landed it in front of a bar in New York City after someone bet him he could not get from New Jersey to New York in 15 minutes. In 1958 he repeated the stunt after someone disbelieved the tale. The second time he was imprisoned for six months.

Went to a funeral today. Mum had two best friends from a child and the husband of one passed away in late June. Mum knew him as well. I met him in the last few years as Mum and her friends met for tea in town about once a month or so. I chatted to him and lent him a book to read which was in his interest. It was a short service with only one set of flowers, donations to a charity instead. There was a wake in a bar nearby. I got to have a couple of drinks as mum could not drink and drive. It was a dignified affair with no outbursts. The children and grandchildren were there but not great grandchildren.