Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I've seen professional paintball on ESPN2 and have concluded that it's a poor spectator sport' date=' especially on an inflatable field. I'd still come out, though, except I'm pretty far from L.A.[/quote']

What type of paintball were you watching and how long ago?

XBall makes it better, but it is difficult for those not familiar with it.

Everything happens too quickly.

What type of paintball were you watching and how long ago?

The type of paintball where gaily-dressed men run about on a field amongst giant balloons, firing balls of paint at one another with paintball guns. This was maybe four months ago.

XBall makes it better, but it is difficult for those not familiar with it.

Everything happens too quickly.

Whatever I was watching looked like plain old paintball to me. It wasn't good on TV because you can't see the paintballs in flight, you usually can't see the shooter and target on the screen at once, and every team's strategy was "camp and shoot lots of paint".

They're under anesthesia' date=' so they don't have any problem. And it's healthier for them in the long run, we don't need so many running around, etc... etc... etc...[/quote']

Oh, I don't really have a problem with it being done. I just think it is silly to call it "fixing". It isn't like they were supposed to be born with no testicles and we're fixing the problem by cutting them off for them. They aren't being fixed. If anything they're being broken.

Mostly it is just a semantics thing that amuses me though. :D

Oh, I don't really have a problem with it being done. I just think it is silly to call it "fixing". It isn't like they were supposed to be born with no testicles and we're fixing the problem by cutting them off for them. They aren't being fixed. If anything they're being broken.

Mostly it is just a semantics thing that amuses me though. :D

Cancer has a good counter.

Sorry, it's just a sore point with me. We have a policy. If someone wants to keep a kitten from a litter they want to give us, they have to hand it over so we can fix it first. otherwise, we have the same person giving us more kittens the next year or earlier.

... And the kittens came back from being spayed/neutered. They were VERY snarly. I think they think all the others smell funny (like the vet). At first they'd spook at the sight of each other and growl; no physical aggression but lots of bad language. That's diminished over the last 12 hours but a couple are still going at it.

The reason I think it's smell is because each of them has just about mobbed Uncle Felix (resident adult male, medium-sized, plays with all the kittens once they're big enough) gleefully when they saw him. He didn't go to the vet, so he doesn't smell alien. Poor Felix got treed (he went up into the upper shelf of the closet to get away) after a while and we had to rescue him from his affectionate nieces & nephew.

Cancer has a good counter.

Sorry, it's just a sore point with me. We have a policy. If someone wants to keep a kitten from a litter they want to give us, they have to hand it over so we can fix it first. otherwise, we have the same person giving us more kittens the next year or earlier.

Well, I'd still say that just because doing it stops them from doing things that annoy people doesn't mean that there was something broken in them. As I said, my amusement is purely semantic. Spaying/neutering pets is in general a good idea. I just think calling it "fixing" them is silly.

You only think that because you're assuming the wrong definition of 'fix'. There is also "to secure or attach to an object", "to assemble or prepare, as in a meal" or "influence the outcome of by improper or unlawful means". None of these are more correct, but all are more amusing.

Well' date=' I'd still say that just because doing it stops them from doing things that annoy people doesn't mean that there was something broken in them. As I said, my amusement is purely semantic. Spaying/neutering pets is in general a good idea. I just think calling it "fixing" them is silly.[/quote']

It's also shown that a spayed/neutered pet has fewer health problems. Different ways of saying it. Fixed is a much shorter way of saying it being gender neutral and everyone knows what it means, even if some people have to bring this up.

The type of paintball where gaily-dressed men run about on a field amongst giant balloons, firing balls of paint at one another with paintball guns. This was maybe four months ago.

Whatever I was watching looked like plain old paintball to me. It wasn't good on TV because you can't see the paintballs in flight, you usually can't see the shooter and target on the screen at once, and every team's strategy was "camp and shoot lots of paint".

That would be the NPPL. 7 Man. But, what you're referring to is the same problem paintball affaciandos have been complainging about for years. There isn't a single thing to keep track of for spectators (like a ball). There is the flag, but that usually ends up being an addendum at the end of the game when the opposing team is in the dead box.

XBall tries to fix some of those things, but it almost doesn't seem like the paintball I've been playing for a decade.

It's also shown that a spayed/neutered pet has fewer health problems. Different ways of saying it. Fixed is a much shorter way of saying it being gender neutral and everyone knows what it means' date=' even if some people have to bring this up.[/quote']

I don't think "fixed" is really that much easier to say than "neutered". And neutered has the advantaged of being more descriptive.

And as I keep saying, I don't have a problem with the practice. I just think calling it "fixing" a pet is silly. I've thought it was silly ever since I first had it explained to me what was meant by it, and I have yet to see any reason to stop thinking it is silly.

But then again, I also think the current usage of the term "organic" is silly. Organic already meant something before it got coopted by the health-food market. My standard response when I see "Organic Apples" is to say something like "Whew, good to know those apples aren't made of Carbon instead of something like Silicone..."

That would be the NPPL. 7 Man. But, what you're referring to is the same problem paintball affaciandos have been complainging about for years. There isn't a single thing to keep track of for spectators (like a ball). There is the flag, but that usually ends up being an addendum at the end of the game when the opposing team is in the dead box.

XBall tries to fix some of those things, but it almost doesn't seem like the paintball I've been playing for a decade.

You're going to have to give me a rundown on XBall, a quick Google search just turns up a bunch of links for XBall® brand paintballs. But I don't think rule changes are what's called for so much as better camera angles and maybe tracer rounds. And some kind of real ammo limit so that the game doesn't devolve into bunkerball.

Well, logically, we already know the limit of using riflemen in the presence of lots of firepower is early WW1. That's sort of what paintball is doing, minus the 42-cm mortars and hundreds of thousands of KIAs.