Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

TextEdit. Or go to versiontracker.com and download TextWrangler or BBEdit.

Also, you're a weakly interacting massive particle.

Hm. TextEdit didn't offer me the option of flat-text; RTF was the simplest on the pull-down.

And I'd cheerfully download something and install it, IF OUR REPTILE-SODOMIZING S**T-FOR-BRAINS "MORDAC-THE-PREVENTER OF INFORMATION SERVICES" I.T. COMMISSAR WOULD LET ANYONE HAVE INSTALL PRIVILEGES ON THEIR MACHINE.

Sorry, existing open wound. Here, have some more salt.

Hm. TextEdit didn't offer me the option of flat-text; RTF was the simplest on the pull-down.

And I'd cheerfully download something and install it, IF OUR REPTILE-SODOMIZING S**T-FOR-BRAINS "MORDAC-THE-PREVENTER OF INFORMATION SERVICES" I.T. COMMISSAR WOULD LET ANYONE HAVE INSTALL PRIVILEGES ON THEIR MACHINE.

TextEdit has the option of "Make Plain Text" in the Format menu or Command-Shift-T.

Tell us how you really feel. ;)

I used to teach IT classes, and have to say that the stories my students told about the way IT is ran in universities, never ceased to amaze me. In fact, I've gone back to school myself and continue to be amazed at how they run some of the website stuff for the colleges around town.

Can someone explain the Boltzmann brain problem in simple terms? I've read the theories and a few articles, but I think it turned into too much information and now I'm not sure I follow it. Cancer, I'm looking at you. :)

Can someone explain the Boltzmann brain problem in simple terms? I've read the theories and a few articles' date=' but I think it turned into too much information and now I'm not sure I follow it. Cancer, I'm looking at you. :)[/quote']Wikipedia on Botlzmann's brains.

A Boltzmann brain is a hypothesized self-aware entity which arises due to random fluctuations out of a state of chaos. The idea is named for physicist Ludwig Boltzmann' date=' who had advanced an idea that the known universe arose as a random fluctuation, similar to process through which Boltzmann brains might arise.[/quote']Id est, a thinking being that has popped out of nothing.

I'm not sure I've seen that discussed in that form before. It touches on something called the anthropic principle (the weak form), which is almost tautological. Physicists spend more time & energy thinking about a vaguely related item called Maxwell's Demon, which gets you more insight into thermodynamics.