The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Memorial service for my friend Rich this morning, and there was a large turnout. He was active in the local medieval re-enactment scene, and was a long-time gamer before that. We spent large amounts of our after-school time playing Champions, Traveller, D&D, and whatever new game we had found. He was a kind and generous soul, and his absence will be felt in the lives of many. He was happily married to his wife Ruth for almost a dozen years, and I am proud to have been his friend for almost three decades.

I thank all of you who have raised a glass to his memory. For absent friends....

JoeG

My sympathy for your loss and his loved ones who also feel it

Today OddHat, I and everyone I've talked to except one is having a miserable day. One friend just lost her dog a week before Sunday, another has a very ill cat, another is having a horrible day, so I don't know what's causing this, maybe Mercury is in retrograde or something. I promised to go out and meet some friends but I just want to drum my heels on the floor and scream.

Woke up to a flitter of wings above my head. Fourth bat in the house in 2 years. Second one in two weeks. Results of the last bat's test were indeterminate. Have calls in with bat control businesses in the area for estimates to perform exclusions and inspections.

When I called the county wildlife people, the lady recognized my voice. "You've got another one?"

Woke up to a flitter of wings above my head. Fourth bat in the house in 2 years. Second one in two weeks. Results of the last bat's test were indeterminate. Have calls in with bat control businesses in the area to perform exclusions and inspections.

Maybe you should consider becoming a bat and avenging your parents.

11 more weeks and my housemate's mother's home will be fixed and she'll be gone. I like the lady, I do, but gawd, I feel like a muscle that can't unclench (never been a big fan of change) and while she's sweet, she's also stubborn and doesn't always listen.

Hopefully I won't get sick from spores or other fun things from the stuff we're having to store from her flooded home.

I need a ####ing month of stable and as normal as I'm allowed.

Natch, of course, I feel like a bastage for whining when it's her house that got trashed.

I spent some cash to have the photos on my phone transferred to a USB drive. Not much, just a few bucks to buy the drive. I come home, plug in the drive to my computer, and no photos.

No big deal, really. I'll just go back to Radio Shack and have them try again (I still have the receipt), but what a waste of time.

Last night I broke another tooth, apparently. NO real pain, so fingers crossed there. My dentist isn't in on Fridays, and with the Holiday weekend...

Then this morning my wife woke me up when she was leaving for work. "There is a flat tire on the van." Great, last time it had one, I couldn't get the spare off anyway... So I took it off, she hauled it into town, got it fixed, brought it back, and I put it on the van. She took Tavish to my dad's house, and then got to work a bit over 2 hours after she was scheduled. She called in, of course, but...

And it is move in weekend here at the University... I suspect tomorrow will NOT be all fun and games.

Sick yesterday, and today it's raining like heck. Kinda hard to get any paying work done around here.

Crud.

Where is this place you live that gets rain? It's been droughty in California for a few years, and the US interior is suffering even more. Living in a a coastal state our mountains tend to wring moisture from clouds before they depart for more easterly locales, so we still get the occasional rain (usually between the end of September and March, but lately less than that).

Where is this place you live that gets rain? It's been droughty in California for a few years' date=' and the US interior is suffering even more. Living in a a coastal state our mountains tend to wring moisture from clouds before they depart for more easterly locales, so we still get the occasional rain (usually between the end of September and March, but lately less than that).[/quote']

We had quite a drought this year here in southern IL; the fields are full of dead crops. But it's kinda rainy today, so my plans to go out and put in some extra hours have come to naught. Maybe tomorrow.